M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got in from riding....40F......I think that 50F might be my new limit....Time to put her up for the winter.....Cold weather sucks!!!...Just venting as I warm my piggys.....

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
thats prolly my limit, 40 that is. unless I get some heated gear that is. we had a few days last week where it got down to mid 40's and my hands is what bothered me. Now that I have some First Gear HT overpants and the Alpine Stars Tech Road jacket (5 years old) I felt ok down around the mid 40's running 80 mph. I have two different pair of motorcycle gloves but even the heaviest of them lets my hands get cold by the time I get home from work some 40 miles later. I tried out some snow mobile gloves that are textile except for the palms and under sides of fingers and they keep my hands warm enough at the mid 40 mark. If I was going further or into colder wind I think it would be time for the electric gear. the weather this week is back up to mid 80's for a while and just the average glove and jacket works good when the low is 65.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yea, I need to get a throttle lock so I can take my right hand out of the wind for a while, to be able to comfortably ride at 35-40 and highway speeds for any major amount of time. Otherwise the rest of my gear does a great job at keeping the heat in and the cold out :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was wishing I had my jacket on yesterday when I had to leave work and rode to the doctors office for an MRI. The short sleeve shirt was a little chilly. :bigthumbsup: I had to wear a sweat shirt under my jacket, and I have been thinking about getting some non ventilated gloves for the ride to work in the morning. :a18:

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
40 is still a good riding temp for me. I done quite a bit of riding at 20 but that's not really cold, it's just painfull. :eek:

I have Gerbing glove and jacket and that helps a bunch but I still have trouble keeping my feet warm. If I could figure out something for that I could pretty much ride at any temp. :doorag:

For the last three years I take a "Snow Ride" on the Boss. The first year was an accident and there was so much talk about it around town that I do it every year now at first snow. :D

By the way I'm a big wimp compared to some of my Bro's from Italy. :eek:
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/sil144/2003 Elefanten Treffen/

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Lamonster said:
40 is still a good riding temp for me. I done quite a bit of riding at 20 but that's not really cold, it's just painfull. :eek:

I have Gerbing glove and jacket and that helps a bunch but I still have trouble keeping my feet warm. If I could figure out something for that I could pretty much ride at any temp. :doorag:

For the last three years I take a "Snow Ride" on the Boss. The first year was an accident and there was so much talk about it around town that I do it every year now at first snow. :D

By the way I'm a big wimp compared to some of my Bro's from Italy. :eek:
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a298/sil144/2003 Elefanten Treffen/

Lamont, look into some Snowmobiling catalogs. They have electric inserts/soles/socks that can be used...
Good luck Santa!

Sledzep

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hey, I had to ride to work today and it was 68! I actually rode the Rune becasue it generates more heat than the 9.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Vetgasm said:
Hey, I had to ride to work today and it was 68! I actually rode the Rune becasue it generates more heat than the 9.
I forgot what 40 feels like! If it gets down to 40 here the whole place shuts down. :joke:

·
Registered
629 Posts
::) Their aint no bad riding weather, just bad riding gear. I've ridden year when ever I had a bike that long. I never put my bike up for the winter. Three years ago it got down to 40 below. :eek: Now thats when it starts to get really cold. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
...but when it was 40 below, did you ride?

I ride a few times at 20-30 degree temps. As long as you layer, it's not bad....and a full face is a must!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Animal said:
::) Their aint no bad riding weather, just bad riding gear. I've ridden year when ever I had a bike that long. I never put my bike up for the winter. Three years ago it got down to 40 below. :eek: Now thats when it starts to get really cold. :doorag:
Animal I agree with you to a certain extent, I can put so many clothes on that I look like the "Michelin Man" and stay "warm" but for 1 when its starts snowing/freezing here in Nürnberg the beast is staying in the garage!!!!! One, with that 240 a$$ that back end slides big time on ice and two that fuc :edit:ing salt will do a job on the paint etc. On my previous Intruder it stayed in the garage when the weather got real bad as I couldn´t see sticking big time €€ for chrome parts just to screw them up with salt :dontknow:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
wildwolf said:
...but when it was 40 below, did you ride?

I ride a few times at 20-30 degree temps. As long as you layer, it's not bad....and a full face is a must!
As well as some sort of neck/face cover like a balaclava. I rode home from work (35 miles) on morning when it was 34 and didn't have my balaclava with me. My chin where the strap goes felt like I had a block of ice pressed against it the whole ride. I was miserable. With the balaclava, along with my tourmaster insulated jacket/pants, I can easily ride that commute at 31 degrees. That's as low as it's gotten so far. I'm gonna see how low I can go this year.

·
Registered
629 Posts
:D That year I was ridding an Enduro. Knobby tires. Lots of flexible plastic even at that temp, and no chrome. With the bike I have now I won't be ridding when it snows. When all is dry, then most likely. :doorag: For one week that year I didn't ride, :redfaced: The rest of the year I rode every day to work. 7 day shift, including holidays. 15,000 km

1 - 13 of 13 Posts