M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since the incident where my 9 ran on one cylinder and was spewing raw gas out of the other, it's been running fine, but I noticed over the past weekend the fuel economy seems to be way down. Typically I was getting high 30s to low 40s before, but last weekend I was only getting low 30s, and I was really taking it easy. Hardly any goosing of the throttle. My buddy was riding behind me and said he didn't see any black smoke from the exhaust, nor did he smell any raw gas, but he did say the exhaust smelled a bit strong when I would get on it a bit. The engine sounds and feels like it's running properly (no missing, hesitation, or popping on decel), but the drop in fuel economy leads me to believe there is something wrong with the FI2000. Once I put the bike up for the winter I'm going to send it in to Cobra and have them thoroughly check it out. In fact, if they don't find anything wrong with it I think I'll ask them to replace it anyway because I just don't have a good feeling about this particular unit.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Yea maybe there is something wrong with it, I'm not sure, but I'm still adjusting mine and now I'm set at your setting I think, 2-4-2 and it runs great but i also have seen my mileage fall off, but to be 100% honest my bike ran great at the factory setting on the cobra, but I have not check the mileage to be sure, just seems like it just don't go as far.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
That kind of m ileage drop would be understandable if you put in some gas with 10% ethanol. I don't know about your state, but in OK stations have to tell you whether their gas has corn in it, or not. Has to be clearly labeled on the pump.

And on ethanol, Suzuki does not really recommend it for the stock bike, as it is already lean enough. But with fuel processors, and richer mixtures, I suspect the bike can handle it readily now. There would be a mileage decrease, but that would be offset by the increase in octane. Ethanol has an octane of 130, and a 10% blend with 91 octane nets a new octane of 94.9. 9 X 91 = 819. 910 + 130 = 949. 949 / 10 = 94.9.

So on my next tank I am going to give it a whirl. I typically like to run 93 octane Sinclair, but there is only one station in all of Oklahoma City that sells it, the rest went to 91 a couple of years ago.???

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
Mine seems to run pretty rich, if I sit and rev it a few times you can smell raw gas. But I still get 42-44 mpg off it, and all we have here is 10% ethanol. What do you have the FI2000R set at?

I think mine is on 2-4-2 right now. I bumped the center pot up a full point the last time I changed my exhaust.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
you burning some midnight oil zoom LOL

I got my PI2000 but haven't put it on yet, and I have done K&Ns in stock boxes and the drilled baffles, and a TRE from Gary. Runs so good , and my light still blinks at around 150-160 miles and I still smell gas like you say. I am hoping with the cobra I can adjust that smell out of it, and gain a few MPG!

Mine seems to run pretty rich, if I sit and rev it a few times you can smell raw gas. But I still get 42-44 mpg off it, and all we have here is 10% ethanol. What do you have the FI2000R set at?

I think mine is on 2-4-2 right now. I bumped the center pot up a full point the last time I changed my exhaust.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I think it's set at 2-3-2. I guess I don't undestand how it can be running so well (or it at least appears to be) with it sucking as much gas as it is...:dontknow:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
I don't know how it would do it either grampi. My wife says mine will actually blow out a little black smoke if I get on it hard. I don't know if it's carbon blowing out or unburnt fuel. We ride together most of the time so I don't run it really that hard, but I do get on it occasionally. And it doesn't seem to matter, I get that 42-44 mpg pretty much all the time. I don't think I've ever fallen below 40 mpg with it.

I used to check it at every fill up and was sure what I was getting. But sine we ride together, I fill her bike up when I fill mine. Gives me an opportunity to get that little bit of regular gas out of those single hose pumps before I fill mine. So since we started doing that about 2 years ago I seldom fill mine by itself. So the actual mileage is more of an accurate guess right now. But I don't fill it until around 160 miles and I still have 2 bars left.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know how it would do it either grampi. My wife says mine will actually blow out a little black smoke if I get on it hard. I don't know if it's carbon blowing out or unburnt fuel. We ride together most of the time so I don't run it really that hard, but I do get on it occasionally. And it doesn't seem to matter, I get that 42-44 mpg pretty much all the time. I don't think I've ever fallen below 40 mpg with it.

I used to check it at every fill up and was sure what I was getting. But sine we ride together, I fill her bike up when I fill mine. Gives me an opportunity to get that little bit of regular gas out of those single hose pumps before I fill mine. So since we started doing that about 2 years ago I seldom fill mine by itself. So the actual mileage is more of an accurate guess right now. But I don't fill it until around 160 miles and I still have 2 bars left.
It certainly doesn't sound like your's is running rich at all with that kind of mileage. You're getting now what I was getting with mine when it was completely stock. Lets see, I've got my FI2000 settings where they were before the incident, the bike runs fine and gives no indication that it's running rich, however my mileage is now in the low 30s. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
First off grampi. this is not a dig, just a thought

Since this is the 2nd fuel processor you have had on your bike and both are having issues, don't you think you should look for something in common to both issues. I doesn't seem likely you would have 2 defective ones, both causing a rich condition.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Just installed the 2000

And a YAHOO is in order it did exactly what the directions said it would, LOL That's a good start. And I had a flat spot right off idle, due to the airflow going through the engine now, and so far the 2000 has fixed that lean spot, and every time I do something to the beast I have to hang on that much harder, This thing has the potential only limited by ones imagination and pocket book. SO far 2 thumbs up. Will see when the fuel light starts blinking now.

The way I read the sheet, pot 1 does 90% of the work, up to 5000 rpm. Middle pot is for nailing it, and last pot for added fuel at top end, Correct me if i am wrong please!!

One thing I find odd in the warranty is "any cobra product which is used or installed is not eligible for return or refund"
How the heck are we going to know if it is flaw free and work unless we install it??? LOLOL

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off grampi. this is not a dig, just a thought

Since this is the 2nd fuel processor you have had on your bike and both are having issues, don't you think you should look for something in common to both issues. I doesn't seem likely you would have 2 defective ones, both causing a rich condition.
Where did you get that I've had more than one processor?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
The way I read the sheet, pot 1 does 90% of the work, up to 5000 rpm. Middle pot is for nailing it, and last pot for added fuel at top end, Correct me if i am wrong please!!
You're right on the first pot, it's from idle to around 4,000 to 4500 rpm. The second pot adds fuel whenever you are accelerating, even a little. Not just nailing it. The 3rd pot adds fuel across all ranges, kind of like changing the main jet in a carburetor.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
OK

Thanks zoom, I will use those thoughts if and when I need to do any fine tuning!
You're right on the first pot, it's from idle to around 4,000 to 4500 rpm. The second pot adds fuel whenever you are accelerating, even a little. Not just nailing it. The 3rd pot adds fuel across all ranges, kind of like changing the main jet in a carburetor.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I still smell gas like you say. I am hoping with the cobra I can adjust that smell out of it, and gain a few MPG!

Well that won't be possible with the Cobra unit. All it can do is ADD more fuel. The Power Commander can ADD and SUBTRACT fuel. So.....if you are hoping to take fuel out and gain a few MPG, then you're boned with the Cobra unit.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Thanks

I will watch the blink light on fill time and see what the miles are. I do need a little more fuel, due to flat spots that arose from the intake exhaust upgrades, I will just live with it.

Well that won't be possible with the Cobra unit. All it can do is ADD more fuel. The Power Commander can ADD and SUBTRACT fuel. So.....if you are hoping to take fuel out and gain a few MPG, then you're boned with the Cobra unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Problem with My Fi2000 Power Pro

Hi,

I have a problem and you can perhaps help me: I bought a Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro for my Suzuki M109R, Suzuki installed it for me. It worked very well during few months and gave a great power increase, but one day, something went wrong. I had only one cylinder that was working, the other was not working anymore. , I had a flashing red warning on the PowerPro itself. Suzuki tested the bike, reinstalled the power pro and at final removed it. After this I had no more problems.

I tried to contact Cobra USA to know what I should do. I never had any feedback. It is a real abuse to even not answering to a client. Do you know who should I contact or perhaps how to repair it?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi,

I have a problem and you can perhaps help me: I bought a Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro for my Suzuki M109R, Suzuki installed it for me. It worked very well during few months and gave a great power increase, but one day, something went wrong. I had only one cylinder that was working, the other was not working anymore. , I had a flashing red warning on the PowerPro itself. Suzuki tested the bike, reinstalled the power pro and at final removed it. After this I had no more problems.

I tried to contact Cobra USA to know what I should do. I never had any feedback. It is a real abuse to even not answering to a client. Do you know who should I contact or perhaps how to repair it?
How old is your PowerPro? Is it still under warranty? The contact I have at Cobra is Phil, he is in Las Vegas, Nevada, and his number is 702-528-3495. You can try to contact him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts