M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently selling my VTX1300, which I post on here as well posted on cycletrader.com.
I rec'd an email the other day asking about the bike:

Hi,
My name is jodan corn, I am located in 18600 EAGLE
RIVER RD EAGLE RIVER, AK 99577. I am representing my
brother in the purchase of this Bike and we will
like to know your final bottom price, if you have a
clear title, recent pics, reason for selling the
property and also state the present condition at the
moment. Get back to me asap if it is still available
for sale.
SENDER'S NAME: JODAN CORN
EMAIL: XXXXXXX (I removed)
TELEPHONE: Buyer did not Provide

My Reply:
Hello Jodan, The bike is still for sale, but I do have someone coming in this weekend to look at it. The final price I will take is $7000.00 cash or cashier's check. I don't have a clear title, can easily get bill of sale noterized to cover everyone. Pics you see on the internet are the most current pictures taken. The current state of the bike is as you see in the pictures. The engine is in perfect condition. Tires and brakes has normal wear, with 4119 total miles on the bike. The reason why I'm selling the bike is, I bought another bike and don't need 2 bike payments. Thank you....

A day later I get this email:
Thanks for your mail and update.
Any accident histroy?
Any stolen record?
Are you the first owner?
Why do you want to sell it?
I will get back to you tomorrow after disccusion with my client,your price $7,000 is ok,
Have a nice day.

Which I replied:
No Accidents
Never been stolen
Original Owner
Purchased another bike
Final price, cash or cashiers check for $7000.00

Thanks....

Today I get an email: (Best Part)

Hello.
Happy to tell you that we have concluded with my brother and he has instructed to carry on with the transaction,he said that I should inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $13,000. which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client.
Due to company policy this check has to be made out inthis amount to you ,because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier check,so you are required to deduct cost of your Bike $7,000. when payment gets to you and refund balance $6,000 to my customer via western union money transfer or money gram transfer for him to be able to offset shipping charges.
After payment has reached you and balance sent back to him,our agent will come for the pick up and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my brother,while title papers and other necessary documents will be sent by you via fedex courier to my brother.
Please Confirm this and reprovide name,address and phone number for check payment to be delivered to you via courier serivce.

Thanks and God Bless.
Jodan.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is a scam. The cashiers check will be a fake. You might be able to cash it, and when the bank finds out, the bank comes after you. The Cashiers Check Scam is frequently used. :cop:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
scam
Might as well crate up the bike and ship it to Nigeria....

Or just cash the check and tell them you had an accident and cant leave the house... live alone....
please have their agent stop by and you will hand them cash...
You can have the man :cop: waiting

Sledzep

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had someone try to pull a similar scam on me for some telephone equipment. I actually saw the money order (US Postal). I had to chuckle, the fakery was so obvious. They can never get the watermark right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey I tought I sold one of our dirt bikes never received a check but it all sounds almost exactly like this and I figured it was a SCAM. These guys couln't spell worth a S#@T.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The boys are right... this scam also includes cashier's check's, money order's and certified checks, etc ...they send a fakey and you have to try and cash it....... there is risk for them..only you..... play it safe, the bike will sell to someone.

It is always an international "entity" trying to pull this scam off and the "authorities" can't be bothered tracking international scammers, it's too costly to their department. The only one it will affect will be you....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah, check out http://www.419eater.com/ as this is a site showing all about these scams and more... I get them constantly and laugh my head off...

Like I'm actually going to send you a few THOUSAND back on a check you send to me, yeah RIGHT...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Total scam brother. I've seen this type of B.S. scam posted on many sportbike websites.

Just ignore the fool.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Jodan means "joke" in Japanese, I suppose his dad could have had a sense of humor, would love to know what they named his brother....plus another slight problem, when you do an aerial scan of the address given, there's one building there...this one:

Wal-Mart Store #2188
18600 Eagle River Road
Eagle River, AK 99577
(907) 694-9780

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
THis is popular on Ebay for big ticket items...I wouldn't even give the guy a turd for Xmas...this scam worked years ago a few times...can't
believe people still try it.

Delete his emails and move on :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's funny... I see more and more scams now it's getting out of hand. I used to shop and sell in Ebay. Forget that. I'm done with it. Long story with Ebay; I didn't get screwed but someone took my pic (of an ATV) and used it for a scam. Which I basically lost the deal over it. Since the guy didn't "Buy Now", I wasn't able to collect my money back from Ebay. When you report, unless they've changed, it's an automated BS response.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You would be like to buy bridge in New York City. I would be want to sell to you. My English veddy goud.

G

·
Lol, what a jackass...first he calls the other guy his brother, then calls him his client, haha....this guy needs to back to the drawing board...EDIT=for a good read check this out....one of the original "scam the scammers" stories. It's kind of long, but well worth the read....enjoy!

http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/

·
Registered
64 Posts
Someone tried to scam me the same way. They had stolen Canada Postal Checks though. I knew it was fake when they sent the amount over the required amount. They tried to make me deposit it then send the remainder to a shipping company. IE: an address they had at a post office.

·
Registered
450 Posts
We as americans should be well aware of these overseas idiots trying to scam us. Damn they waste alot of time!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
jamiesM109R said:
We as americans should be well aware of these overseas idiots trying to scam us. Damn they waste alot of time!!
Maybe if they spent as much time working as they do trying to scam people they would make plenty of bank.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
oldest trick in the book, but i bet alot of people still fall for it. :verymad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts