M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forgive me if I mess this up, but this is my first post. I have a 2009 M109R- MODS- Cobra FI200R, Ducks Covers, K&N's, First set of baffles drilled out. I installed the Cobra unit to help get rid of Surge issues. It did seem to help. I have my pots set at 2.5-2-1.5. I have noticed that when the bike is warmed up, I detect the smell of gasoline coming from the intakes when the bike is idling. I am guessing that maybe my first pot setting of 2.5 may be too rich, but that seems to be the magic number to avoid the surging issues. My gas milage has also dropped some. Any thoughts on the gas smell ?? Is this a problem? I should check the spark plugs to see if I am running too rich, but it is such a pain in the butt to get to the plugs- (compared to my VTX-1800). Thanks!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. :D

That first pot sounds a little high for your mods, I'd try setting it at 2 and see if that helps with the fuel mileage.

The smell is probably either the fuel tank venting (the gas cap vents it openly), or crankcase vapors that get vented into the air box coming out the air filter boxes. I can smell fuel around mine quite a bit especially on hot days and all that comes from the fuel cap.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts

That first pot sounds a little high for your mods, I'd try setting it at 2 and see if that helps with the fuel mileage.

The smell is probably either the fuel tank venting (the gas cap vents it openly), or crankcase vapors that get vented into the air box coming out the air filter boxes. I can smell fuel around mine quite a bit especially on hot days and all that comes from the fuel cap.
:agree: and :congrats: and :welcome: to the forum. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

:agree: and :welcome:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ive got basically the same mods . Try 2. 2 .4 this has been done on the dyno. works for me . good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank-you Zoom and Stormy for your input. I will take your advise and reset my first pot to 2. I will also retset pot #3 to 4. The high rev. range seems to be fine at 1.5, but I will go to 4. When I wind the 9 out, sometimes I wet may pants anyway, so lets go to 4. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
497 Posts
fuel smell

try topping the tank off so its almost totally full. If smell goes away for awhile its just the vent from the gas gap. If it gets stronger when tank is 1/4 to 1/2 full Think its normal. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To Bryan 67: I have not really noticed my fuel level when I smell the gas. The smell does not seem to be coming from the gas cap, I really think it is coming out of the holes ducks cut out for me on my air box covers- (he does great work!). No big deal, the smell was probably always there, but when I opened up the air boxes, the gas smell just had somewhere to go. Thanks for your input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts