M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings 9'ers,

I saw something rather interesting last night at Bike Nite here in Cleveland Ohio. What I saw really got me thinking. Is Harley Davidson really that popular...or is it something else. What I saw last night was H-D after H-D...Road King...Street Glide...Road King...on and on. Is it me or is something wrong with that picture. I know that the main thing about riding is ride what you like and feel comfortable on. I know, but could that many people have almost the exact same taste in H-D's? :dontknow:

Could it be that people have been so convienced that Harley Davidson is the in all be all in motorcycling and something that you can really pi$$off a H-D guy, many of the H-D components are build in CHINA!!!! Tell a Harley guy that and stand back his head WILL EXPLODE!!! :clap2:

Tell me what you think...I'd like to know if you have though that same thing. Take care, stay safe and lastly...."BURN RUBBER NOT YOUR SOUL"!!!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
What I saw last night was H-D after H-D...Road King...Street Glide...Road King...on and on.
Yeah it's pretty much the same thing down here as far as cruisers go. I see a ton of sportbikes around here but cruisers are mostly what you listed above. They all look exactly the same and to me they are about the boringest looking bikes on the road IMO.

Too each his own, ride what you want, blah, blah, blah, that's fine. But of course a majority of them have bought the HD marketing craze hook-line & sinker. Having said that I like having one of the few M109's riding around. I'm not a follower anyways and I enjoy what I like whether is "popular" or not. I out grew the whole "peer pressure/be like everybody else" phase in my life back in High School. :doorag:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I thought ?

Yeah I thought that owning a "Harley" thing was a nostalgia type deal. It being "American" made and all. But after watching people who own them it seems like it's a "keep up with the Jones' " type of thing. Well personally I don't have the money to keep up with jones', and I would never buy a bike that cost too much and goes too slow. I have seen a harley that I would like to own, but I would never pay the money they want for it or, for the mods it would take to make others respect it, including myself !

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it's pretty much the same thing down here as far as cruisers go. I see a ton of sportbikes around here but cruisers are mostly what you listed above. They all look exactly the same and to me they are about the boringest looking bikes on the road IMO.

Too each his own, ride what you want, blah, blah, blah, that's fine. But of course a majority of them have bought the HD marketing craze hook-line & sinker. Having said that I like having one of the few M109's riding around. I'm not a follower anyways and I enjoy what I like whether is "popular" or not. I out grew the whole "peer pressure/be like everybody else" phase in my life back in High School. :doorag:
I have to say that having Harley at least hear in the Cleveland area is something of a status symbol. But the truth is no matter where a bike is built ride what you like. Come to think of it last night I might have been about 1 of maybe 3 9'ers at bike night. People do come up and take a long look and I have to say I love it. H-D can frankly with much love and affection "EAT A :edit:"

·
Registered
140 Posts
i was out riding the other day and i was stopped at the bagel store and some guy , on a HD of course (he had the whole nine....shirt patch stickers ets), parks next to me and says nice bike is that HD's newest model? I said no its a suzuki.........you had to see his eyes, i thaught he was gonna cry he was so heart broken.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I have to say that having Harley at least hear in the Cleveland area is something of a status symbol......"
it seems that a lot of harley owner's believe in that very same motto. the "sheeple" have all bought into the HD marketing. but the question i ask, "a status symbol of what?"........being the dumbass who overpaid for a bike that looks like everyone else's and is still slower than the majority of bikes on the road?:dontknow: :nojoke:

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just an opinion but when you are a MFG and you sell virtually everything you make at inflated prices way over the competition and that product does not perform as well as it's competition then your marketing people have done their job. Harley sells because they have the bad boy image down pat. They have the all harley drags, they have HD only clubs, they started the lumbering V twin lineage. You can look at a 2010 and see the direct lineage from a 1960. Most of the magazines are putting HD's in front of everthing because it is a very popular bike. Suzuki does nothing to push the 109. SOG's web site is less than helpful and not very imformative. HD has HOG which is very active. The facctory is involved at many levels. To me it is just marketing. They push their product hard and Suzy does not. If Suzy does not start socializing she is not going to have a date for the prom.
bob

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just an opinion but when you are a MFG and you sell virtually everything you make at inflated prices way over the competition and that product does not perform as well as it's competition then your marketing people have done their job. Harley sells because they have the bad boy image down pat. They have the all harley drags, they have HD only clubs, they started the lumbering V twin lineage. You can look at a 2010 and see the direct lineage from a 1960. Most of the magazines are putting HD's in front of everthing because it is a very popular bike. Suzuki does nothing to push the 109. SOG's web site is less than helpful and not very imformative. HD has HOG which is very active. The facctory is involved at many levels. To me it is just marketing. They push their product hard and Suzy does not. If Suzy does not start socializing she is not going to have a date for the prom.
bob
:a18::agree:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I agree, good marketing is the recipe for success in America

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have to admit I like the look of some Harley's and even test drove a couple before I bought my 9. There is just no comparison in the 9 to a harley the only thing you get for the jacked up price is the resale value is good on them. The 9 will blow them out of the water. Here in Cincy you dont see many 9's but you see a Harley on every corner! I was riding the other day and a HD pulled up beside me and said nice bike. We wnet thru a couple more red light stops and talked them he asked what kind of bike mine was and after I told him it was a suzuki M109 he hammered it at the next light trying to impress someone I guess. Needless to say he saw nothing but tail light from then on!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I had the money/credit to buy a HD when I purchased my 109 last year
but after I sat on the zuk I didn't want anything else. I have to admit
that I would like to own a Street Glide :redfaced: if I could afford more than one
bike.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts