M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just returned from Arizona to visit my parents.
While I was there I rented a HD softtail for a day.(420mls)
I really wanted to see what all the fuss was that the HD guys brag about,( I'll tell you mainly all I hear them say is ''IT"S A Harley-Davidson!!")
The price was reasonable for a bike rental 140.00 a day.(Next time maybe they should pay me...lol)

I rode from Mesa to the red rocks of Sadona
I took the long way up 89 thou Jerome.and the long way back as well.
(made for a long scenic day)
All mountain twisty's it was one of the best routes I have been on.
Being from IL flatland.

Now the downside of the ride!!

The best thing I could say about the Softtail is it felt like is a very refined OLD BIKE.

It did track straight very well and was a smooth ride.and like they told me at the dealer "when you get on the highway hit 6th gear and it will smooth out your ride" And it did get smoother.
It was a surprise there was not as much vibration as I thought there would be. THATS IT!!!

It took 3/4 block to just get to 70mph.

In the turns the floor boards scraped as soon as I leaned it over.

So the twisty's had to be taken very slow.
The best thing I could say about that is it gave me time to look around at the beautifully scenery.

The air cooled motor on a hot day SUX!!!
That oil tank under my seat nearly roasted my right leg.
It was not very good on gas ether.
The ridding Poisson was too close for me.(I'm only 5'8 )

I sure did miss my 9.
This experience gave new appreciation for our beloved 109R
New technology is a wonderful thing!!!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
And yet the sheep are still lining up to buy these things. I'll never be able to figure out the big attraction to HDs....:dontknow:

·
Registered
497 Posts
an old co-worker of mine bought a HD Night train for $16,000 and has stuck $8,000 into mods from powder coating to motor work he now says it's now a 106 and i still kick his a$$ with my 8500 dollar 109

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
And yet the sheep are still lining up to buy these things. I'll never be able to figure out the big attraction to HDs....:dontknow:
Very true, and I think the attraction is that they've become "individuals". As I usually like to say, "Ah, you've become an individual - Just like everyone else".

That and the clothing line.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
As I usually like to say, "Ah, you've become an individual - Just like everyone else".
:agree:

I have a very cool HD riding friend, good guy, has ridden & owned all kinds of bike brands in the past. Talked to him this morning and he got a new Ultra-Glide-Classic-FLJEIXOCNGOIEEOPAFEIJ398 or whatever it's called and he loves the comfort and smooth ride for him and his wife but even he rags on how much he paid for it & it's lack of power. He was like "I was thinking about it and this thing cost the same as my truck. It's really pretty stupid when you think about it". LOL

·
Registered
138 Posts
I rented a fat boy last year when I went to York Pa to visti my parents. My VTX 1800 was tore-up and I didn't have my C109 yet. We rode to the site of the flight that crashed on 911 in Shanksville, Pa. The Harley was smooth and very quiet. I was dissapointed in the power. My brothers 900 Kawasaki Vulcan was keeping up with it.

I can't see it!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some one just told me my opinion is cuz I'm used to a faster more modern bike thats why I feel the way they do. :dontknow:

·
Registered
92 Posts
my friends drive hd and im the only one that drives a 109. As I told them the hd could be a great bike if they would upgrade the bikes and lower the price. after taking a trip to the Big Bend National park I realize people buy a bike for their riding style. I would leave my friends way behind as mater of fact i would meet them at the next town!!!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts