M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite let me first explain, for the last year I have been working on becoming debt free (which I did... thank you thank you :a18:) and during that time managed to get myself set up to get back in debt the wife and I signed the paperwork to have our 1st new home built...( party at my house in May 2011). Now that I've kinda set things up for you the wife and I agreed that I wouldnt buy the 9 until we got the house done, well now that everthing is done I'm beginning to have second thoughts on the 9 ( as Florida on that episode of Good Times said " DAMN!DAMN! DAMN!") believe it or not guys I'm actually thinkin about a Harley.. YES I SAID IT!! I've been lookin at them for awhile and I love the street glide, I don't love the horsepower or lack of it but I like the bagger look and the batwing fairing and I also have to admit having a belt vs. the shaft of the 9 intrigues me. But on the other hand I simply love the 9 and dreaming of owning some of the bikes that I've seen on this site is what motivated me to keep going so I could get out of debt. I know I could get the batwing fairing for the 9 but I just dont like the corbin-type bags, I would like the bags to be a bit more extended toward the ground. Any ideas?? Cuz i think if i could remedy the bag situation I would push the Harley out the picture. Also if u had a choice would u want to have the belt or shaft?? Thx for any help that u can give........ LATERS!!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
So go buy one and leave this forum.:dontknow:

·
Registered
643 Posts
with the stacked exhaust on the 9's i dont think your gonna find a "bolt-on" bag that is gonna give you the look you are going for. If you are willing to think it thru and do some figuring and finagling after switching to a aftermarket 2 into 1 pipe I *think* you would have a decent shot at pulling it off.

I have only ridden shaft drive bikes so i have not input on the BELT vs Shaft

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
LOL! If tha is what you want go for it. I ride with almost exclusive harley owners, usally 20 or more at a time up to 2000 once. and there are plenty of the street glides in the packs. and guess whee the attention goes to by passerbyeers. peiises them off royaly. for the 20 or so I ride with regulary they have come to terms with it and voted my bike as the ambassender bike.The top dog tried to race me two years ago and that was the end of it. so moral of the story go ahead they are nice bikes if you want to go deeper in debt and be like everyone else.

I am trying to extend my bags down 4 inches and doing a morph exhaust with a rotary cannon out the back, however this may not happen as there are things I just havent been able to figure out. But I have all winter to work on it.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
i have 2 coworkers that have purchased brand new Harleys (22K & 26K)and are spending even more on after market crap.for the money one of them spent i could buy 2 9's and add all the mods i want & still be under what they spent.

i guess they wanna live the HD lifestyle :clap2:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Trying to get or keep your debt load down and buying a h/d does not seem to go together , But that why they make all types and styles as mentioned before Ive been parked in a sea of h/d's there is more attention around my bike than most of the others good luck it's only money!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Trying to get or keep your debt load down and buying a h/d does not seem to go together , But that why they make all types and styles as mentioned before Ive been parked in a sea of h/d's there is more attention around my bike than most of the others good luck it's only money!
:agree: You were responsible and got out of debt then you want to purposefully buy an overpriced bike? If that is REALLY what you want then do it. I have too many friends with BIG regrets with their HDs when I ride up.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Alrite let me first explain, for the last year I have been working on becoming debt free (which I did... thank you thank you :a18:) and during that time managed to get myself set up to get back in debt the wife and I signed the paperwork to have our 1st new home built...( party at my house in May 2011). Now that I've kinda set things up for you the wife and I agreed that I wouldnt buy the 9 until we got the house done, well now that everthing is done I'm beginning to have second thoughts on the 9 ( as Florida on that episode of Good Times said " DAMN!DAMN! DAMN!") believe it or not guys I'm actually thinkin about a Harley.. YES I SAID IT!! I've been lookin at them for awhile and I love the street glide, I don't love the horsepower or lack of it but I like the bagger look and the batwing fairing and I also have to admit having a belt vs. the shaft of the 9 intrigues me. But on the other hand I simply love the 9 and dreaming of owning some of the bikes that I've seen on this site is what motivated me to keep going so I could get out of debt. I know I could get the batwing fairing for the 9 but I just dont like the corbin-type bags, I would like the bags to be a bit more extended toward the ground. Any ideas?? Cuz i think if i could remedy the bag situation I would push the Harley out the picture. Also if u had a choice would u want to have the belt or shaft?? Thx for any help that u can give........ LATERS!!
I am an old fart so I will use the expression I use to use along time ago when I lived in the states;) Buy whatever turns your dress up:D

I am a roofing contractor in Germany (a real life Florida cracker though). I have a condo in Naples Florida to escape the everyday BS. I don´t have alot of free time so I enjoy it when I have it. I like everyone else want the most for my money especially when it comes to my toys. I bought the first 9 that was delievered to Nuernberg back in March of 2006 (silver). Could I have bought an EG? sure, I probably would have if Suzuki had´nt of came out with the 9. I seen it on the Internet called the local Suzuki dealer and he promised as soon as they arrived he would call me first. (he did) The EG would cost me €36000 new the M1800 Intruder (M109) cost me €12900:p ($1=€0,78) So roughly speaking I could almost buy 3 M109´s for the price of 1 EG??? I may be blond but I am not that stupid. I have enjoyed every minute on the 9 and if I had to do it all over again I would. The wife and I both drive Mercedes so don´t get the wrong idea that I am a cheap skate but like I said I want the best deal for the buck especially when it comes to my toys:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Have you ridden a 9 yet???

Once you do, I dont see how there would be any question. Ive been on many harleys, from sportsters, to street glydes to softtails, (all rented or test rode for a free backpack) and they are slow and feel loose and cheap to me. None of them felt comfortable at speeds above 65, total rattle traps, and the way the front end feels......:barf:
People say to me "wow, that's a nice bike, I bet it costs a pretty penny." And when I tell them what I paid for it their draw drops..... Nuff said!!!

But your money, your preference.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
i have 2 coworkers that have purchased brand new Harleys (22K & 26K)and are spending even more on after market crap.for the money one of them spent i could buy 2 9's and add all the mods i want & still be under what they spent.

i guess they wanna live the HD lifestyle :clap2:
I have about 23k in my bike including the cost of the bike 10.3k.put it and a 26k Harley any Harley off the showroom floor and a crowd of people and see which one they are gathered around.Nuff said!Gregg

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
I would say it's your money and do what makes you happy, but I was riding with a friend of mine the other day and he has a fatboy. He had the custom flames put on from the factory and chrome wheels and sissy bar. That's all the bike has on it. He said he's thinking about getting rid of it but he's been paying on it for two years and still owes $21,000. He said "I guess I'm stuck with it".

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've been lookin at them for awhile and I love the street glide, I don't love the horsepower or lack of it but I like the bagger look and the batwing fairing and I also have to admit having a belt vs. the shaft of the 9 intrigues me.
If want a bagger buy a bagger. If you want performance and the muscle bike look get the M109R. I don't get people who purchase the M109R only to try to turn it into something it really isn't by adding large batwing fairings & huge saddlebags. Get a loaded C109R if that's what your wanting.

Streetglides are nice to a degree. But there's seemingly millions of them on the road and of course their way overpriced.

Harley does have smoother transmissions and the belt drives are more forgiving i.e. they make for good "cruising" and bar hopping bikes. :doorag:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Dear confused........

Yes, you are confused. Like so many others, you are considering spending your hard earned cash (or debt plus interest, even worse) on a Harley. Why? Because you want bags and a fairing. No not, really. You want the look, to fit in, be part of the club, to be validated by other HD owners. Get those "atta boys" and "real bike" comments. You'll probably be real happy with a Street Glide.......for a while.........until reality sets in.
When you realize you spent a fortune, and now need to spend another fortune to get some power and bling, and will still end up with an overpriced vibrating heat machine that's still one of the slowest bikes on the road. And those payments, insurance, dmv and service bills keep coming year after year.
I hope you think about it. I don't even know you, but I hate to think another member blew their wad on a HD when they could have had a 109, and $10 to $20 grand for mods, a Seadoo, ski boat, Corvette or any other thing you want. You could put in a real nice backyard and built in BBQ at your house for that kind of money. It's just a poor use of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Have you ridden a 9 yet???

Once you do, I dont see how there would be any question. Ive been on many harleys, from sportsters, to street glydes to softtails, (all rented or test rode for a free backpack) and they are slow and feel loose and cheap to me. None of them felt comfortable at speeds above 65, total rattle traps, and the way the front end feels......:barf:
People say to me "wow, that's a nice bike, I bet it costs a pretty penny." And when I tell them what I paid for it their draw drops..... Nuff said!!!

But your money, your preference.
I have no extra love for HD, but anyone who calls a road glide a 'rattle trap' over 65 has never been on one. The RG aint my favorite bike but it shines at 80mph on the freeway.....

jazz

·
Registered
680 Posts
Why can't someone just ask a simple question or for an oppinion without getting a lame comment back?
It's like the same peeps who always complain about certain posts. If it bothers you then dont read it or reply! Simple!

Sorry! Had to vent as i losy my fantasy football this weekend!:verymad:

Juice109

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I have no hate for HD. They are what they are. I have owned 2 in the Glide family and they are a fine bike on the highway. Off the highway, they are lumbering brutes. A thing is worth what the next guy will pay for it, so to call them over-priced is not exactly fair, because the used market pricing is comparable.

I find the 9 to be a better bike for the money. I have almost $11k into mine(picture 1), including purchase, and it shows up my friend's HD (picture 2)with $45k into it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have been test riding a lot of cruisers lately. Victory Cross Country and Victory Vision this past Saturday. Harley Davidson is definitely on my list in the near future. The one thing I have noticed about all the cruisers I have ridden with the exception of the Rocket III is they are underpowered compared to the 9. For me power is a BIG part of the equation, I don't know how it ranks for you. I just want to encourage you to demo as many cruisers, baggers, tourers etc. that you can before you make your mind up. A Suzuki dealership will let you demo a 9, at least in my area they will and so will Harley. Don't let Harley put you on the bike they need to sell, go in there and tell them the list of 3,4 or even 5 bikes you must demo before making a solid decision, they will let you. Also many manufacturers have demo trucks that go from city to city, all you have to do is search for them and you will find them. Good luck bro.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm no Harley basher, I love them. I think they're beautiful bikes.

I was in the market for a Fat Boy before I got my 9.

And when it came time to buy, as hard as I tried I could not justify the additional expense of the Harley. Plus all the things I wanted to do to it (I then realized I was trying to make it look like a 9).

Bang for the buck, no bike comes close to the 9.

The only reason I could come up with for getting the Fat Boy over the 9 was "It's a Harley".

At this point in my life, it wasn't enough of a reason.

Who knows, one day it may be enough of a reason and I could care less what anyone else would think about it, so do what makes you happy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts