M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, since buying my m109r (2009) in May, my motorcylcle life has been interesting and since I need to vent, I figure I'd share it with my 09 brothas.

Bought the bike on May 22nd, paid too much, but hey I really wanted it, had 1 mile on it, drove it off the showroom floor. On June 8th I'm riding with 2 friends and we're in Plainville Connecticut. A member of this very forum (didn't get his name, but hope he sees this) pulled into the parking lot we were in to say hi and see if I knew about this forum, which I did. Seemed like a good guy, he had a m109r sticker on his truck. It was a bit cool that day so I had my leather on (Harley colors, who knew?), boots, jeans, no helmet (no helmet law in CT). We rode down to the shore, West Haven. Ate seafood, checked out the scenery and had a good time.

Around 4 we decided to head back to beat rush hour traffic. We'll call the two friends I was with, M and L. L usually leads, he's an experienced rider (I'm in my 2nd year) and understands the responsibility of leading a group. This time M led. I didn't really know M, but rode with him before and he seemed fine. L is riding a 98 Vulcan 1500 and M is riding an 06 Victory 100, the model escapes me. As we are riding through New Haven, M is leading, we approach an intersection, M makes a move like he's going through it, L follows, the light is yellow, M then decides abruptly to stop, L swerves to miss him and I'm behind seeing brakelights, I was either going to hit them, hit the oncoming traffic or hit the curb and tree there so I dropped the bike and let go. The bike kept going and hit M's bike, but only damaged the his license plate as I lay there on the ground. (Not one person stopped to help me!)

Although I wasn't wearing a helmet, past training has taught me how to fall so I didn't hit my head, and the leather saved me from any road bruises and burns as did the jeans and boots,so other then a very sore shoulder and knee from the impact, I was OK. L stated it was M's fault for being indecisive as the lead. M didn't see it that way. Upon further conversation it was revealed that M didn't have a motorcycle license and never too the rider safety course! I learned not to rely on the lead for my safety, but it was a hard lesson.

Even though I rode the bike home, GEICO quoted $5100 in damage. Took it to the dealer where I just bought it, they quoted $7100 in damage. Now we're on June 11th, parts are being ordered, I'm told 5 business days for the parts. Well to make a long story short the final parts just arrived July 7th. I'm told the bike will be ready July 13th or 14th. I call on the 13th only to be told they needed a few more parts! The service manager originally said parts were on back order during my first wait, I HAD TO TELL HIM TO CALL SUZUKI TO GET MORE INFORMATION ON WHEN THE PARTS WOULD BE DELIVERED. He keeps telling me that he's new and they're busy, but the fact that it's taking them so long is clear incompetence. I talked to a manager on the 13th who said he would have these final parts overnighted to get me back the bike quicker. I'll be calling tomorrow morning for an update, but these bozo's have had my bike for almost 5 weeks.

New bikes get built quicker then this...In the meantime I'm seeing summer slowly slip away. Hopefully I'll have the rest of July, all of August and September before it gets cooler here in Connecticut.

Thanks for listening...

FRUSTRATED IN CONNECTICUT...LOL

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Sorry to hear, most riding groups have horror stories about group rides. I very seldom ride with my Dad's group as things like that seem to happen. Glad to hear you were not hurt bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
So, since buying my m109r (2009) in May, my motorcylcle life has been interesting and since I need to vent, I figure I'd share it with my 09 brothas.
Sorry to hear this sad story Tfloyd. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

We can all learn from this - one thing I try to avoid is short following distances.

Keep good faith!

Regards

W

·
Registered
455 Posts
.................... M makes a move like he's going through it, L follows, the light is yellow, M then decides abruptly to stop, L swerves to miss him and I'm behind seeing brakelights, I was either going to hit them, hit the oncoming traffic or hit the curb and tree there so I dropped the bike and let go.
Sorry for the misfortune, but this is why you should always ride in a staggered position, -_ - _ -. It makes it easier to see almost two riders ahead of you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
sorry about the accident, I had similar problems when I had my accident ...my dealership has been great as far as letting me know what was going on with my bike but since there was a backorder on the engine guards I'm having to wait...not the fault of the dealer though...don't know why it's so hard for Suzuki to keep parts on hand for what is their best bike..

·
Registered
754 Posts
1st time i heare that the lead rider is responsible for the followers riders! I have been riding in groups for more than 4 yrs, and the leader just knows where he's going, other than that you look out for ur self and keep a safe distance from every one in the pac...

Sorry baout ur ride, n hope it all goes well with de dealer....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1st time i heare that the lead rider is responsible for the followers riders! I have been riding in groups for more than 4 yrs, and the leader just knows where he's going, other than that you look out for ur self and keep a safe distance from every one in the pac...

Sorry baout ur ride, n hope it all goes well with de dealer....
Maybe my terminology has multiple meanings, but in the rider safety class, as well as what I was told by many experienced riders is the importance of riding together especially around town, for safety. A group can be scene better then individual bikes and the lead bike "makes the calls".

I'm sure there's many views on this and now my view has changed a bit as I trusted someone's else's judgement too much, which was my fault.

Good news is the dealer just called (venting must have worked), they are still missing a few parts, but it's under the exhaust and not noticeable, those parts are on backorder for 3 weeks, so I'm meeting GEICO there tomorrow morning and plan to ride home...

It's 95 and sunny tomorrow here in CT, woooooooooo!!

Thanks for all the kind words, advice and well wishes. This forum has helped me through 5 weeks without my bike!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Having been up front in many group rides and the tail in many others, I can tell you it is not as easy as you would think.

Your cursing along.
The light turns yellow.
-Thoughts that need processed NOW!:
--Can I stop before the line without putting myself and everyone behind me into a skid?
--How many seconds behind me is the last rider in the group, so if I make the light, what will the timing be for him?
--If I go because it is not safe for me to jam on it, will the first guy that can stop safely do so and will everyone behind him?
--If the group gets cut by the light, are we organized enough to get back together without the need to pull over?
--. . . . . . .?

By the time you have run through all of this, it is now very late for you to stop.

Lights cut groups. It is natural and it happens. However, both the leaders and the followers need to be ok with this.

It sounds like you leader was not, but that is how you learn and I presume any of the 3 of you in the situation again would do something differently.

Glad you are ok.

By the way, what parts are you missing? Odds are we have them gathering dust in someones garage.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad you are ok. Bike is repairable people are not. Hang in there - you'll get a few good rides in and they will be absolutely worth it! Stay safe...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Riding in a group can be a pain. You really have to watch out for yourself. I've seen guys show up for rides with worn out tires, tail lights tinted so dark that you could'nt see them when they were lit and guys that cannot make up their mind which side of the lane they want to be on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts