M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have everything apart installing the PCIII and tightening/replacing the clamps between the jugs I fugured I would replace the plugs.
I sucked up a good amount of oil into the filter housing in the past, and when taking everything apart I was suprised at how far up it went.
I so I want to look at them.
I will probably replace them whether they look good or not since I am here already. I have 4,000 miles now.

The question
In the manual it states to get hotter or cooler plugs depending on what you see when you pull them out.
My question is, IF one looks dark and one light, SHOULD I run 2 different plugs? or no matter what I find, make sure they are both the same???

Also, will these be pre-gapped?

From the Manual

HOT Type Standard Cold Typer

NGK = CR7EK CR8EK CR9EK

ND = U22ETR U24ETR U27ETR

Sledzep

·
Registered
665 Posts
sled,just run the standard plugs. I'd guess(and it's just a guess) the dark plug came from the cylinder that had the oil soaked air filter. It either sucked oil into the mixture,or restricted the air flow enough to make the cylinder run a little fat. 8)

·
Registered
133 Posts
DONT run 2 different plugs. you may need to adjust your lean/rich mixture on each cylinder(not sure how to do it on the M109)

the package may say pre-gapped, but buy the gapping tool (1 dollar) and check to make sure the plugs are set to spec.......

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
SLOPOKE said:
the package may say pre-gapped, but buy the gapping tool (1 dollar) and check to make sure the plugs are set to spec.......
AMEN on that :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
600 Posts
SLOPOKE said:
...the package may say pre-gapped, but buy the gapping tool (1 dollar) and check to make sure the plugs are set to spec.......
+1 You never know how many times the plugs have been dropped, thrown, run over, etc. before (and after) they are boxed up.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron S said:
sled,just run the standard plugs. I'd guess(and it's just a guess) the dark plug came from the cylinder that had the oil soaked air filter. It either sucked oil into the mixture,or restricted the air flow enough to make the cylinder run a little fat. 8)
I have not looked yet, I was just checking so that I know this AM what to do. My fear is I may see what you described.

Thnx to everyone else too. I will definately check the gap.

Sledzep

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both were black as night! Carbon all over them

Pics later, right now I am fretting over the FI light being on after PCIII install

BAD PLUGS!!

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I'd rather see them like that than a nice chalky white :eek: ................. there is no doubt that you are running rich though , getting a tune should really wake up the bike :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
J R said:
you sure those arent the NGK cr10ek,s ????
They look pretty bad dont they....
Well at $5.00 a pop my plan is to load the stock PCIII map for now, and then after the BBQ I will hit the dyno in October right after I put new plugs in to see if the new tuning cleans them up. If not I will go to the CR7EK's

Sledzep

With new plugs, drilled exhaust, new cold air intakes and PCIII I am betting the Butt Dyno will see some improvement over before!
Its no wonder I could not crack 35MPG!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
J R said:
Im almostr sure you had 10,s in your bike with the dual electrode.check the number and tell me what they say.You may need to go to 9,s
I will double check the old plugs today.

FOURNINES said:
every thing that I read was four valves two plugs per cylinder

thanks Hal
When I looked at the manual I did not see instructions for 4 plugs. I also had the airbox and throttle body, and all 4 of the plastic head covers off. I did not see 2 extra plugs. Admittedly I was not looking though.
Each plug DOES have dual electrodes though.

Sledzep

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
J R said:
I may very well be wrong, but i always thought the 8,s and 9,s had single electrode and the 10,s went to the dual ??? But im not an NGK guru and not up on all there plugs. Just curious if the bike had 10,s in it or not
I will check (if I ever walk away from here :D ) I know that they had them cross referenced to a single electrode part from another manufacturer.

Sledzep

·
Registered
86 Posts
J R said:
Im almostr sure you had 10,s in your bike with the dual electrode.check the number and tell me what they say.You may need to go to 9,s
I just got new plugs for my bike and the K at the end of the plug number means dual electrode. My bike came with cr8ek plugs and I went to the hotter plug cr7ek because mine were running a dark tan with the current map in my bike.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
JUtah said:
So was it 2 or 4 plugs... hard to tell from the manual...
Our bikes have 4 plugs , two in each head. One goes in directly in the top and one goes into the side of the combustion chamber :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts