M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off lets get this out of the way. YES I WILL BE GOING TO THE DYNO!!! But probably not till October.
Yes I understand it is the opnly way to do it right.
OK.
WOW, what a difference. I am betting I got more out of this because of the new plugs too.
Mine were very dark!!! sooty!! so I think I had lost some of the snap before I did the mods.
I always ride with earplugs so I think the new louder sound did not have as strong an influence on the Butt Dyno as it could.
Overall I was impressed with how it ran. Up around the high 5K to 6K area it almost seems to have a turbo kick in. Very cool.

I have a couple of questions to ask. All I want is an educated guess. Please try to answer both.

I am now running an intake like Bottlefeds (and many others) I have drilled out the first 2 plates in the center of the baffles in each pipe.
And I have installed the PCIII

OK, I am sssuming that the bike is rich overall (according to many posts) My plugs proved that.

1) In theory (till I go to the dyno) Would it be better to run the all zeroes map from Dynojet and let the new mods attempt to lean it out some VS what the ECU will do to stay where it was set? OR Run the map they have for stock air and exhaust which does some leaning out of the mixture and risk it being too lean??

2) On my test runs I did not hear any popping (after one or 2 when blipping the throttle before it was warmed up) and I am using the stock air/exhaust map. IF it is a little too lean, how badly am I hurting it how quickly??

Here are some very dirty pics because I know you need them even before the bike is washed.
I installed these much like everyone else with 1 twist. I used the kit that the filter maker sells to hard mount them to one of the jug mounts that were being used with the stock air filters. I think I like them exposed like this.

Sledzep

G

·
Sled, I don't have any answers but I did want to compliment you on the intake mod. That is the best execution so far. I would love to see the photos of the bike overall. I like the strut you put on there. Very industrial looking. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THNX!
once I have everyhting cleaned I will take pics with it ready for the BBQ trip.
These were just during the shakedown run. I am heading out to the garage now to put some locktight on everything and do final adjustments.

Sledzep

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Sled, I personally would go with the PCIII stock map. If your running toooooo lean you will hear the backfiring through the intake and can go back.

I have the same intake and exhaust mods you do and when I made my baseline run the bike had an A/F of about 14 up through around 4k rpms. Then it was rich above 4k. Here is the link to my dyno chart if you want to see the A/F before the custom PCIII map.
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=4139.msg58030#msg58030

On a side note... :D
I like the way you secured your filters... Care to share?
I used the mount for the stock airbox and a second clamp to secure mine but would like more info and pics on how you did this.

I would like to be able to "lift" the left side intake so it is at the same angle as my right one. I think with your bolt system I can pull this off. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

:doorag:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JUtah said:
Sled, I personally would go with the PCIII stock map. If your running toooooo lean you will hear the backfiring through the intake and can go back.

I have the same intake and exhaust mods you do and when I made my baseline run the bike had an A/F of about 14 up through around 4k rpms. Then it was rich above 4k. Here is the link to my dyno chart if you want to see the A/F before the custom PCIII map.
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=4139.msg58030#msg58030

On a side note... :D
I like the way you secured your filters... Care to share?
I used the mount for the stock airbox and a second clamp to secure mine but would like more info and pics on how you did this.

I would like to be able to "lift" the left side intake so it is at the same angle as my right one. I think with your bolt system I can pull this off. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Thnx for the input.
I am not sure that my mount will be able to do what you say but I will lay out what I did.

Sledzep

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, here is what I did, but you should also do a search on bottlefed he did this first and listed the parts too. Plus many others have done it since with their own twist. Some with extensions and others with 90 degree elbows. I used 60 degree elbows but might change in the future.

Everything you need is at Pep Boys. That is where I bought my stuff. If there are no Pepboys near you go to the homepage of the company links I am puttting here. There is a dealer search tool there in the lower left corner

First off, get some locktite so nothing vibrates loose later on.

Now go to pep boys and buy....

2 of these filters
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-prtdetail.asp?PD=682

2 of these breathers (you will need to get some straight 3/8 plastic hose connectors also)
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-prtdetail.asp?PD=121

2 of these couplers (Buy 2 extra clamps of the smaller size in this package)
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-prtdetail.asp?PD=705

2 of these elbows (remember you can do 90 degrees if you want)
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-prtdetail.asp?PD=687

2 of these hardware kits to attach to the T clamps
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-prtdetail.asp?PD=689

2 of these T bolt clamps
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-prtdetail.asp?PD=690

Also buy an oil kit
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spec... T-clamps around for a cleaner look. Sledzep

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Wow! Sled... thanks for the detailed response... Actually I already have the "Botlfed" mod on my bike and actually I used the same method to couple it together as you have shown here... (The Home Depot 2" PVC coupling) You can see it if you look at the side view pic of my bike in my signature.

My deal/question was how you were holding it in place with the T bolts... For my setup I added a hose clamp around the bottom end of the rubber coupling and wrapped it around the stock Airbox mounting bracket. (Probably need a pic to show this but I am at work now).

Mine looks real clean, but for the life of me I cant get the left intake to have the same angle as the right. It angles down just a little lower which bothers me to no end.

I see the info for the Tbolts and the info I need in your post.

Thanks again for the detailed post.  :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Man I wish this was posted before I ...attempted doing my big air kit.

My 109 is now in the hands of the go cart master known as Jim (who has a most sweet Screamin Eagle VRod that I lust for)

Looks great man, looks really good.

My good friend Jim

·
Registered
86 Posts
sledzep01 said:
THNX!
once I have everyhting cleaned I will take pics with it ready for the BBQ trip.
These were just during the shakedown run. I am heading out to the garage now to put some locktight on everything and do final adjustments.

Sledzep
I would run lamonsters map until you get to make your own map . Lamonsters map made my bike feel much better than the map dyno jet sent .

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maniac m109r said:
I would run lamonsters map until you get to make your own map . Lamonsters map made my bike feel much better than the map dyno jet sent .
What kind of mods are you running???

Sledzep

·
Registered
645 Posts
you are going to get a hundred different answers.I guess who ever you feel confident in thier answer you will try.I know a few on this forum say thier bikes run rich stock,but my 07 was very lean from the factory by all the popping I got on quick blips of the throttle,touchy throttle response during cruise ,plug colour etc...I did the sketter mod and drilled out the two baffles in each pipe,I even drilled the 8 holes,but have since plugged the eight holes with a plate,because the sound was too ratty for me.Anyways ,I am running the PCIII USB with the Accelleratior pump option turned on,and started by using the "Big Air and stock exhaust map" from Power commander.I have since richened it up by a full 5% using the cylinder trim option because I was still getting the odd pop with quick blips and my latest plug check showed only a lite tan colour.It was deffinetly not running rich.So since I have richened it up by 5% it runs a little smoother across the RPM range and definently feels stronger in all gears.I need to do another 1000 kilometers yet before I recheck my plugs and to try in different driving conditions before I make anymore changes,I always give every change a broad range to evaluate properly.
Does it make more power,proably,but can it make more with a little tweaking,likely.Will I ever know by how much,not without a Dyno.Dyno,s are helpful but not the only way to tune.
I would like to go up against a 109r that has been Dyno,d and see how close I am in my tuning tweaks.Always better to run a little on the rich side then not.Mind you with out Dyno,s we wouldn't be running these maps to start with to get us close.You would think though ,with all the dyno,s out there using Dynojet software that Dynojet would have more of a selection on maps to download.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Sled--I'd personally run the stock exh with big air map from the dynojet site.Most bikes come lean from the factory for epa reasons,so even the stck download(001) will help a stock bike.I just went to a PCIII seminar,pretty cool what you can do.I caution you;They recommend not using the buttons on the front if you can get to a computer or laptop.Those are for a general overall adjust.I'd recommend the one I suggested,ride for a while,check a plug or two,and if you feel any surging at specific rpm's you can put tape on the control housing with a scale(0-100%),and tape at the edge of the grip next to the housing marking where it is at "0" and "100".Take it out for a ride paying attention to the rpm's when and if it surges,then you can connect your pc or laptop,and adjust the fuel percent at the specific throttle percent and rpm's by using the shift button and dragging the mouse over the particular section to be adjusted.When its shaded as desired,use the up and down buttons to add or subtract the percentage of fuel.They recommend to go 5% at a time.Its also recommended that unless your using nitrous or some big bore hotrod stuff that the accel pump feature isn't necessary.I hope this helps.I'm still a little new at this,but pretty excited to use the info taught to me just the same. Ken

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Parts unlimited/drag specialties sets them up.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
LE Thumper said:
Parts unlimited/drag specialties sets them up.
LE:

Thanks, I sent them an email. The company was located in WI. Hopefully they'll know of some in S.calif.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts