M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I know there are several post about what I'm about to ask, and I have read through several but come back even more confused. So forgive me if my questions has been asked before.

2008 M109r
My husband purchased me a 2.5 hardkrome straight exhaust. We were told that we didn't necessary need a power commander and guess what the F1 light is on the bike runs good but you can smell the fuel so I think we should get something.

I don't know if I should get a F1 or Dyno commander v or something else.

When we got the bike back the brake light was not working does this have to do with f1 light? I can't find a fuse for the brake, is there one? where is it located? What else could cause the brake light to stop working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hello, I know there are several post about what I'm about to ask, and I have read through several but come back even more confused. So forgive me if my questions has been asked before.

2008 M109r
My husband purchased me a 2.5 hardkrome straight exhaust. We were told that we didn't necessary need a power commander and guess what the F1 light is on the bike runs good but you can smell the fuel so I think we should get something.

When we got the bike back the brake light was not working does this have to do with f1 light? I can't find a fuse for the brake, is there one? where is it located? What else could cause the brake light to stop working?

I just got my 9, but as far as I know putting on a low back pressure exhaust will cause your bike to run to lean not too rich. So the statement that you are smelling gas is contrary to normal. And there are lots of things to make a electrical component fail, broken wire, bad bulbs, fuse, loose connection, bad switch, brake pedal switch tab not contacting the switch, corrosion. It sounds like you took it somewhere to have the exhaust done. If it came back with the F1 light on, and the brake light not working and you paid for the work, take it back.

Your fuses are all in the same place, main and all the sub systems. Mine are under the seat.

HTH some
Marty

·
Registered
504 Posts

2008 M109r

More than likely, the FI light is on because the new exhaust was installed, which removed the SET valve (butterfly valve in the exhaust) and the ecu is not receiving a signal from it anymore. If this is the case, you can purchase a servo buddy which plugs in to the existing plugs where the SET valve was plugged in to, or I think on an 08, you can simply pull a wire from the ecu harness to disable the FI light for this. Hopefully someone else will chime in to let you know exactly which wire to pull, or you could search on the forum, I know I've seen it on here before.

The general consensus is that if you change your exhaust or intake, you don't necessarily need a fuel controller, if you change both, you likely will need a fuel controller.

There are plenty of options as far as fuel controllers or ECU flashing goes, just do some digging on this forum and you should get the info you need.

I would not think the FI light and brake light not working are related. I would check the wire/switch connection for the rear brake, or even possibly the bulb.

What you are smelling is probably just the normal exhaust smell now the the catalytic converter (inside the stock exhaust) is gone. I'm assuming they had CATs on the 08's, mine is an 11 and it had one.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
On a 2008, you have the option of pulling the #7 wire to get rid of the FI light, or you can buy and install an ESE (Exhaust Servo Eliminator). There are a couple different brands and they cost around $50 give or take. Either way will take care of the FI light.

The tail light is unrelated to the FI light. Since you just had the exhaust installed, I would check the rear brake switch first. It is located down by the rear brake pedal. The shop may have unplugged it when installing your exhaust. The brake light is LED, do the chances of them all being blown is slim to none. It's not the bulb.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
What work did you have done ? If they removed the rear fender maybe they forgot to plug it back in.does the break work with hand break if yes then as stated check to make sure the foot breaks switch is adjusted right,had this happen to my buddy of mine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts