M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read everyone saying to tune it on the dyno etc.
Can we get a small class on what to do so we dont get taken?

And one question off the bat... Do I need to find a motorcycle specific dyno?

When I start to do some mods I want to be sure I am getting a few more ponies not just looks and sound.
Keep in mind I will NOT be looking to extract every single ounce of power by running on the cutting edge when I do get
started on the mods. Just a few things to waker her up a little.

·
Registered
181 Posts
sledzep01 said:

When I start to do some mods I want to be sure I am getting a few more ponies not just looks and sound.
Keep in mind I will NOT be looking to extract every single ounce of power by running on the cutting edge when I do get
I've had custom maps made for all my sportbikes, so I'll try to answer your questions based on my personal experience.

If you are going to do some aftermarket mods like pipes, and intake mods, having a custom fuel map made on a powercommander can be a benefit as the mods will affect air flow through the engine. I would suggest that if you plan to mod both the pipes and intake, waiting until you've done both before spending the money to have a custom map - don't want to have a custom map for pipes and then mod the intake - better to have both done at the same time.

Yes, there are motorcycle specific dyno's - check out Dynojet's website.

Essentially, you want someone experienced, who has a load control dyno with an exhaust gas analyzer. Cost and time spent custom mapping will vary so look around. Perhaps you have some local sportbike websites and can get a referral. I plan on having the same guy who tunes my sportbike do a custom map for my 109 when Dynojet releases the 109 power commander in Aug. I will wait to have it mapped until l have both the pipe that I want, and any intake mods that I plan.

Just my $.02, hope it helps.

G

·
last 3 race toys have always been tuned on the dyno no other way to get the most out of your mods & have the bike run at its best street or strip

G

·
sledzep01 said:

Where are you located. I have found that there is a guy in every town that has a Bike DYNO and is the mack daddy at it. You will find guys that are Harley exclusive, at least I have and will not work on a zuk but talk to some of the sport bike guys or go to the dealer and see who the owner or sales manager uses to tune theirs.

Dynojet is in Vegas and Thunder is in PHX and both will do some tuning for you when we get a PCIII.

The other option is use the FI2000 and follow the path down Lamonts foot steps. He has posted his recipe and it seems to be working well.

Taz

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
FYI,I recommend what one said about using the Dyno Jet website and find a dyno tuner close by, also ask around to see if others can recommend them. since Dyno Jet makes the power commander use it too. Talk to the Dyno operator. My friend at work had his HD done at a good shop that honestly told him he had not done too many Harley's as the sport bike crowd is a bigger player. He said he could do it and did after the HD dealer tried to flash his ECM for V & H pipes he was running and failed. also the dyno operator should give you some distinct info on how he does the dyno runs. 1). number of runs: at least 3 before mods and 3 after. 1st run is a warm up run, the next two should get average baseline. 2). make sure they use the correction factor SAE and smoothing set to 5. this will give the most readable lines without distorting the actual numbers (cheating). 3). make damn sure they use an AF probe or EGA (exhaust gas analyzer). this is the only way for sure to know if you are lean or rich and you can match up between the HP/Torque curves and AF curve to see where you need to add/take away fuel. Thats the basic questions to ask and if they cannot answer them then leave, quickly. Not saying all Dyno operators are out to get you but some use bogus correction factors no AF readings and charge you for a piece of paper that is worthless. I am lucky to have a shop manager who I am friends with and actually helped him install his dyno that I get all mine free plus a lot of free info.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
also I forgot, the weather plays a big part in dyno numbers so best if it's done on a cool dry morning. heat and humidity will give lower numbers. make sure they have a big fan or two running in front of the bike for cooling purposes (the bike) and any problems with the bikes general condition will affect the numbers like bad tires or clutches.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have been doing dyno tuning for Olathe Suzuki the last 5 or so years. I would be more than happy to answer any questions that I can.

I have tuned most ever model bike..... carbs and f/i bikes, singles, twins, and inline 4's :)

I started a tuning section on my site... that has a few good refereneces

http://jsdproducts.com/Bike_Talk/Tuning/tuning.html

Here is a pic of my "best" side...... with a busa on the dyno

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Jeff!! Nice to see you up here. I am Todd Turnbull's buddy who builds the Porsche. I also just bought the Silver 109 from Wayne. I am headed up in another 200 miles when I am done wiht break in to have the service then have you guys base line it. I want to add an intake and JSD and have you tune it. Looks like you are a JSD supporter which was something I was wondering. I look forward to meeting you.

I have a Mustang 500SEAWD Dyno and can load a bike on it. We had my R1 on it when we installed it. PITA without the hook ups. The nice thing about our dyno is we can hold and load. When I tune EFI cars I will hold every 100RPM/10kPA and tune the the site for AFR.  I will then go back and run the sites this time adding timing until the TQ goes up. When the TQ no longer goes up or drops back then you have gone beyond the max timing. I  tune by TQ since this going to see the fastest and most direct change with timing. It also is a clear indicator what the max timing for that cell would be.

A motor is a motor so I assume that the theory for our bikes are the same. 

·
Registered
514 Posts
porschephd said:
Hey Jeff!! Nice to see you up here. I am Todd Turnbull's buddy who builds the Porsche. I also just bought the Silver 109 from Wayne. I am headed up in another 200 miles when I am done wiht break in to have the service then have you guys base line it. I want to add an intake and JSD and have you tune it. Looks like you are a JSD supporter which was something I was wondering. I look forward to meeting you.

I have a Mustang 500SEAWD Dyno and can load a bike on it. We had my R1 on it when we installed it. PITA without the hook ups. The nice thing about our dyno is we can hold and load. When I tune EFI cars I will hold every 100RPM/10kPA and tune the the site for AFR. I will then go back and run the sites this time adding timing until the TQ goes up. When the TQ no longer goes up or drops back then you have gone beyond the max timing. I tune by TQ since this going to see the fastest and most direct change with timing. It also is a clear indicator what the max timing for that cell would be.

A motor is a motor so I assume that the theory for our bikes are the same.
Todd's got a damn nice Porsche... I tried several times to sell it to me, but he just would not part with it.

With your 109 and a pc3, Tuning Link is used to tune in 500 rpm increments to redline at 0,2,5,10,20,40,80, and 100% throttle possition.
A certain a/f ratio is set for the tagest.... depending on what you are after (hp, economy, etc).

Does the Prosche have a closed loop system for f/i? Suzuki bikes don't......they have different maps based on gear, engine load, etc.

I am off living in Idaho now, but DK can tune for you w/o any problems. I have sent him a unit for dyno testing..... you might call Wayne and see when he will do it.... they could use your bike and you might get a deal on a JSD-2M (switched version). :)

Here is a screen shot:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
raw_taz said:
Dynojet is in Vegas and Thunder is in PHX and both will do some tuning for you when we get a PCIII.

Taz
Taz:

Would Dynojet, for example, provide enough time to do a good custom map if you get the PC III from them? I'm reading your comment/post that they throw in the initial dyno'ing for free when you buy a PC III?

G

·
Tuning is not free with the purchase of a PCIII, but Dyno Jet does have dyno days and you can get a screaming deal on mapping when they do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts