M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for someone to volunteer me a set of stock pipes that I can cut and weld a custom muffler onto. I would use mine but I already have a tip on mine that I like and dont really want to cut it off. It seems to me there is some interest in this type of set up with nothing available from the aftermarket. If interested PM me or reply to this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine are not done yet and I used a different approach than JR. However I can do the same pipes JR did or whatever you guys want. I have cutting tools and a welder right in my garage. There is a post with pics of my pipes on page 2 that you can look at to mine. Keep in mind they are not done yet.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ppridgen1 said:
not to be mean or anything ....have you welded before
:doorag:
Yeah actually I have welded a fair share before. However all my previous welding was with a mig running gas. I bought a new mig welder and it currently has to use flux wire which I have never used before. In fact this was the first thing I have welded with the new welder and thats why they are a little rough. Not to mention the gap that needed to be filled.
As far as the collector goes, it is not bent or damaged in any way, its just the way the pic makes it look. I did no hammering or bending to make anything fit.
The set valve was removed and I cut off the nipple that held the set valve rod. I did that because of the fact that I'm going to try wrapping the exhaust in black exhaust tape and didnt want some big bump sticking out. I then welded a washer over the hole to seal it off.
To be honest I kinda feel like you guys are making fun of my attempt at a custom exhaust here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the average joe could do this mod as long as he is not scared to take the risk. Most people dont have access to a welder tho. I cant wait to switch mine to gas, I hate flux wire. Anyway it was bothering me that people thought I bent the crap out of my collector so I went and took the pipes off and took a pic of the back side. The small grove thats back there is factory and like that on all the 109's pipes. You can see where I cut off some of the other junk that was no longer needed as well. Hope this clears up some things.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dude, my hats off to you for braving what I would never had attempted. I jumped at the chance to play with pix. Keep at it and good luck.
-D

G

·
I like it, good job, I'm not the average joe and would never be able to pull it off. Very good work post pics when you get the tape on :) I'm sure it will look great.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No prob guys that comment wasn't aimed at anyone in general. I had been up all night working and was prob just a little short. I would still love to try another set of pipes with a different combo, to compare looks, sound, and performance. I would even purchase someones old stock pipes that they have laying around.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't believe nobody is interested in a set of custom pipes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts