M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My M109 has over 3,000 miles on it and I have about 2,000 more scheduled before we go to Sturgis. I figure that Sturgis is about another 3,500 miles and I don't have a good feel for how many miles I can get out of a wide tire. And I don't want to be the guinea pig and be stuck out in the Badlands someplace when it goes bald.

After thinking about the pros and cons of which tire to use I have opted for the Metzeler 260 because even though it is slightly narrower than the Dunlop 250 I think the Metzeler has a more defined tread design and shows itself as a more aggressive tread pattern. I will probably put it on the bike in a couple of weeks so I will have a little time to test ride it before we leave.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Perfect choice Hal. I would feel much better with my pegs scraping the ground with the Metz under me than with the Dunnie. It's cool but is a tourer and the Metz adds some sport to the mix.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I know you said the 250 dunnie is wider but how does the metz compare to the stock dunnie in width?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
jerbear said:
I've been wanting to know about the Metz.
Jer
Me too, I run the 200 metz on my vtx and even with more low end torque the rear wheel doesn't brake lose like the dunnie does. Someone told me that it is because the 240 is wider and easier to brake lose. I don't buy that because my american ironhorse with a 280 and even more torque didn't break lose as easy as this does. Any comments?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is something I had posted earlier:

We did a bunch of fitting of big tires on the VTX last year. Here are the actual tire widths for you to compare.

These were all mounted on 8.5 inch wide rims.

240 Metzeler on rim is 9.5 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

250 Avon on rim is 9 5/8 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

250 Dunlop on rim is 10 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

260 Metzeler on rim is 9 7/8 inches wide at the seam on the sidewall

·
Registered
752 Posts
vtxoak said:
Me too, I run the 200 metz on my vtx and even with more low end torque the rear wheel doesn't brake lose like the dunnie does. Someone told me that it is because the 240 is wider and easier to brake lose. I don't buy that because my american ironhorse with a 280 and even more torque didn't break lose as easy as this does. Any comments?
It really depends on the tire more than the manufacture. I remember the Dunlop 208's when they came out when eat any Metzler on the track. You could scrape your elbows. Remember width has almost nothing to do with contact patch.

I think the 240 is 9 3/8 and the 260 is 9 7/9 and the 250 is 10.

The 250 looks cool and is flatter, the 260 is more curved and stickier. Better corners and quicker transition on the 260. The 250 has a bigger contact patch because it's profile is less rounded so the 260 might break away easier but the 250 won't feel as good in the corners as the 260.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts