M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight at 6pm I jumped on the B king and proceeded to ride it about 15 miles to a local car show they have every friday night. I told my GF to meet me there & a friend of mine was bringing his 70' challenger RT/SE. I rode over the mtn near my house onto Rte 287 south which is 3 lanes. Traffic wasn't heavy, but cars were wizzing by at high speeds.
I wasn't in a rush & was riding in the center lane going with the flow. Suddenly a pick up truck with 4 occupants pull up next to me in the left lane and the young guy in the front passenger seat yells: #UCK YOU!! & gives me the finger out the open window. :dontknow: Then as the truck pulls away the rear passengers open the sliding glass window and both shoot me the finger. As the truck pulls ahead I notice it has a NJ fire department license plate which is issued to volunteer firefighters. At first I thought maybe I knew them & they were joking around, but I didn't know them.
So, my anger got flared up slightly and I pulled in behind them in the left lane, then passed them going into the center lane & back into the left lane & now in front of them. I slowed down to 50 mph, kicked it down 2 gears & blew them the finger & nailed the throttle. He tried to stay with me but no way a pick up truck is gonna catch a sportbike and I just kept going.
I KNOW what I did was stupid, and could have gotten me easily killed, I had no idea who I was dealing with but IMO I think they were drunk. Nobody does that sober. But this is NJ and nothing surprises me anymore.
BE careful, the nuts are out there.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
They've always been there, I think they are just getting worse.

Many years ago I had a Honda CB360L and was coming back from a ride. I caught up with an out of state truck and was following it at a normal distance, when all at once a beer can came flying out the window. I thought they hadn't seen me until a couple more came out, and they were getting more accurate. And full of beer which was getting all over me. My first instinct was to catch them and kick the crap out of either them or the truck, but I was getting close to home and figured the best thing to do was just fall back and let it go. If cell phones had been available back then I'd have called the cops.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but maybe it is because you are in New Jersey. I am currently working with a group from there and I have to say that attitudes are deffinetly a problem. Maybe it is just my perspective. I am use to really nice people from the mid west with less anger issues. My two cents.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but maybe it is because you are in New Jersey. I am currently working with a group from there and I have to say that attitudes are deffinetly a problem. Maybe it is just my perspective. I am use to really nice people from the mid west with less anger issues. My two cents.
:agree: no you are correct...after 39 years there...I had to leave. I still have the attitude :D but I keep it to myself :bigthumbsup: I suspect it's the water or the air there...my brother stayed and you wouldn't believe how messed up he is...he gets better when he visits....but he's addicted to NJ.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Only one thing comes to mind...New Jersey the Knuckle Head State.
Reference material used to formulate this statement...Jersey Shore ala MTV

·
Registered
84 Posts
Some of those nuts need to know up to about 30% of riders pack firearms and one day they might bite more than they can chew.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i used to challenge people that did this kind of crap until the one day when a guy literally took his work van and broadsided my car over an 8" curb on a circle in flemington NJ. we both crashed over the curb and stopped and then he jumped out and came running to my car telling me he was going to kill me.

luckily there was a police station on the other side of the circle and when i pointed at it, he turned and ran. i went to the station and reported him, but the van was a company van from PA and they couldnt pin it to a specific person.

this was about 15-16 years ago.

now i just ignore people that do this crap and hope they just leave. If they dont, i usually take that as my cue to just get the hell out of there. I let my 390HP car do the rest.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There's definitely a problem with aggression in this state. I have about 9 years left until I can retire from the fire department and then I think I'm gonna try and head south where the folks seem nicer (and the road scenery is better). Not too far down though, I recently came back from vacation in Orlando Florida. The roads there are crazy! Be safe.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
There's definitely a problem with aggression in this state. I have about 9 years left until I can retire from the fire department and then I think I'm gonna try and head south where the folks seem nicer (and the road scenery is better). Not too far down though, I recently came back from vacation in Orlando Florida. The roads there are crazy! Be safe.
Come to North Carolina...but don't tell all your friends ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
road rage

nothing new with these scenarios been arround a long time and NJ is not alone there are jerks in every state.but it is not a good idea to pick a fight with a cager when on a bike,as for packing a firearm and using to settle road rage you better be in the right or you will be in jail.I live in Idaho and it is a gun friendly state and most people here pack and if you pull someone over be prepared to defend yourself

·
Banned
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, yea, it was a pretty crazy thing, my friend who is a fire chief here in NJ told me I should have gotten the license plate# & given it to him. A cop friend said the same, but let's be honest, there's nothing that can be done. People are nuts & have no respect for anyone else in life, WHY? Just look at TV shows that are on these days, YES jersey shore etc teaches everyone to be an ASS#[email protected]! in life, rude & inconsiderate to others. So people act that way. We are doomed as a society.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I had a van start to drift into my lane on I 80 (my wife was on the back), I blasted the horn and the van jerked back into their lane. I sped past looking at the driver. It was a woman who was obviously drunk or something and out of the corner of my eye I saw my wife shrug her shoulders and hands at the drunk. Next thing I know this woman driving the van is right on my ass looking like she's going to ram me, and we're doing 90 mph! I punched it and got the hell away, took the next exit, let the drunk go by on the freeway, then pulled over and told my wife "please don't do that".
You're not going to win a battle against a car and it's just not worth it to respond to an idiot.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Never Never never..

ever cause or retaliate in a case of road rage. Ever. These things escalate so quickly and whether you are in the right or in the wrong, win the fight or lose, life often is never the same again.

Never stop on the side of the road to have it out. I dont care how right you are or how potent and big you are. Bullets rip you up just the same. If you have a family especially, just take the next offramp and have a coffee, take a piss and move on.

Most guys in cars are like guys on internet forums. They are 'Kung Fu masters of the universe'. Corner one of these little wieners and you are unlikely to have the satisfaction you intended. Rather you are bound to get shot by the otherwise defenseless twat.

Sometimes you may bite off more than you are prepared to chew on. There are some really really bad chumps out there who think nothing of following you home and burning your house down with you and you kids in it.
If you cannot avoid a maniac but manage to keep your nose clean in the incident by not retaliating in a like manner and have to end up defending yourself by terminating the agressor, you will feel much better about it afterwards as well as shortening the process to reclaiming your freedom.

Your actions of self-defence will also be faster cleaner and more effective because your actions will not be hindered by your indecisivenes in the face of an escalating threat because of your guilt for your contributions to the conflict.

Skin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts