M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all think?? My step-son and I were messing around tonight and we thought we'd conduct a technique called lightpainting, using a single flash... One of the pics I'm ghosted. :D I think it looks pretty cool. I had to downsize the pics from 5MB each so I'm hoping they've maintained some quality. The downsizing really makes the photos dark :confused:... Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well at least you're honest! I have some more experimenting to do with this technique. The flash was set at 1/64 and 1/32 power. So maybe I need to crank it up a notch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a go at 'light painting' last year when I picked up my new quad.
About 8 secs exposure and a L.E.D Torch got this effect.

I would leave your settings as is and try different light sources.
My 2¢.

·
Registered
347 Posts
There are so many techniques you can use. I would try moving the light around to get differnt shadows. Not sure what camera you area using (SLA or Point and shoot) but you should get similar results if you can shut off the on camera flash and use a remote flash.

If you use a tripod and set the camera on bulb (shutter stays open) and don't use the flash you may capture the stars and moon moving in the background if you leave it for a period of time. There shouldn't be any other light accept one to highlight you bike. Not sure if this will work, but I am actually going to try this on the weekend.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Now that's funny! :clap2:
Oky Bigeh,,,, How did you Do that? :clap2:
Hey Nuk and ooinkk, i am not that talented, i friend of mine is the photographer. The one of me sitting on the bike, she left the shutter open, then she ran a tourch around the outside of me and then we ran like hell out of the way before the shutter went off.
This is what she said to try!!!
Have your flash at full power
run a long exposure
ensure the flash is set to go off at the end of the exposure (rear sync) if using it on camera
if you have an external flash, manually set off the flash at least 2-3 times all over the bike in different spots while the exposure is being taken (ensure you don't flash towards the camera otherwise you will get hotspots) - or hold a torch or 2 to light the bike for the entire duration of the exposure
run behind the bike & flash it a few times underneath it too for extra effect - then run outta the way like a mad man!

Cheers Bigeh :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm using a dSLR Canon with a 100mm fixed 1:1 lens at f2.8. For these pics I set the shutter to 15 sec and ran around like a banshee. For the "ghosted" pic I set the shutter to 30 seconds. I just got my wireless shutter remotes today so now I have a few more options to play try in the future. I looked again at the pics this morning and they really don't look very good on this site compared to how the images were really captured. O'well. I'd like to share them the way they are, but it is what it is...

This was my first attempt and I took these pics in my driveway. Once I try it a few more times, I'll take my bike down to the park to change the scenery. I have a few ideas in mind for the next new moon. :p My wife thinks I'm crazy and doesn't really care to critique my pics of my bike so you guys are stuck with the task. :joke: Muhahahah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts