M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Wanted for his tip about the 139 db horn. I installed it today and is it ever loud! Cagers should have no problem hearing me now! Not an easy install for someone like me who has never taken a gas tank off of a motorcycle or dislodged a radiator before. I installed it basically like Wanted did.

Here's Wanted's original thread: http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=1955.0

·
Registered
817 Posts
Congratulations. Now you can have fun watching the cagers in front of you hit their heads on the roof! :D

What did you use for a bracket? I used 1/16" x 3/4" aluminum bar stock, works really well. I hope you used the relay that came with the kit and fused the hot wire to the horn. If you did that, you should be all set.

I used electrical tape at first to insulate the horn connections from the frame, but the heat from the engine melted that off the first day. I cannot find non-foil heat-resistant tape anywhere, so I'm using the cut-out toe from a gym sock ::) (don't laugh!) and it works. :D

If you never did anything like this before, I'll bet you learned a lot about bikes with this project. ;) You're right; the hardest part is getting behind that radiator.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to Lowe's and got a 2" pre-fabbed piece of angle iron which worked fine once I drilled out the holes a little. I also used a shorter bolt for the horn and a longer bolt to attach the relay (which came with the kit) because the bolt that was on the bike frame was too short to use.

Yikes! I didn't fuse the hot wire to the horn. Is it likely to come loose? (Had to use pliers to remove.)

Double yikes! I ran the wires from the old horn connectors down the side along the top of the engine because the white wires that came with the kit were only 3 feet long. Sounds like I need to replace them with longer wires that I can run directly over the heat shielded area over the top of the engine? What do you think?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I secured the wires connected at the bottom of the compressor and rerouted the wires coming from the old horn connectors over the top of the engine and secured them as well. Hopefully, that will do it!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Yeah, I used 14 ga. bulk wire and ran them long enough so I could wire-tie them to the left side frame tube, then into the battery compartment and back.

When I say "fuse" the hot wire from the battery terminal, I meant did you use a 20 amp fuse in that line? You really should make sure you use a fuse. That's the one thing almost everyone overlooks when installing electrical accessories.

G

·
May have to wait until the Suzuki crash guards come out to mount that baby. :p I saw a wing one time at the Roar to the shore 3 years ago with 8 air horns on it. Vaired in size from 12" long to 24" long. Owner was not by the bike to hit the horn button, but I figure it would most likely blow my ear drums if he did.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wanted said:
Congratulations. Now you can have fun watching the cagers in front of you hit their heads on the roof! :D

What did you use for a bracket? I used 1/16" x 3/4" aluminum bar stock, works really well. I hope you used the relay that came with the kit and fused the hot wire to the horn. If you did that, you should be all set.

I used electrical tape at first to insulate the horn connections from the frame, but the heat from the engine melted that off the first day. I cannot find non-foil heat-resistant tape anywhere, so I'm using the cut-out toe from a gym sock ::) (don't laugh!) and it works. :D

If you never did anything like this before, I'll bet you learned a lot about bikes with this project. ;) You're right; the hardest part is getting behind that radiator.

GET SOME SHRINK TUBING NEXT TIME. WORKS A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN E-TAPE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts