M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am riding home from a great day during which I had several errands that I could run on the bike.

It's dark, about 9:00. Keep in mind that I live in farm country. I do not think there was a street light for 5 miles. I am on a tiny road that I love. It is so small that it has no painted lines. It follows a winding creek between 4 huge Amish farms. From end to end it is about 3 or 4 miles.

I run a dual HID setup and had the high and low beams on, so it was bright as day in front of me, but the tall grass comes right to the paved edge of the road.

I am taking it real easy because I had already seen no fewer than 30 deer, 4 of them standing in the road staring at my headlight. So I am doing about 35mph and about 20 yards ahead of me, the grass bursts appart and a raccoon barrels into the road. He get to about the center of what I'll call 'my lane', stops dead, pops up on his hind legs staring at me coming at him.

No problem, way too little time to stop, but since he has stopped, a little drift to the center of the road and I should buzz by without issue.

Well, I am not Dr. Who and cannot talk to animals, and the raccoon and I did not agree on this plan.

About 8-10 feet before I would have buzzed by him, he looses his nerve, gets down from his upright position and tries to make a break for the far side of the road.

As bad luck would have it, this puts him right in my path at just the moment I would have passed him.

At that moment, I realize why my instincts told me 1. no braking and 2. just a little drift, no extreme swerve. Because I was still fully upright and moving along steadily, I rode over him just like the 4x4 in the rider safety course. I even found myself shifting my weight back in the seat and giving it a little throttle to lighten up the front end. As he launched out the back end of my bike, I even got the same tire chirp I remember from the 4x4.

Keep in mind this all happened in 20 yards at 35mph, which works out to about one second.

After it was over, I wondered if I should have had some adrenalin response or something, but I got nothing. It was over and I was on my way.

I must say, the 9 handled it like a champ.

Be safe out there. It is not just the deer and cagers gunning for you;)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
you sure that was the tire chirping? and not the poor little bastard trying to squeeze out his last "aw phuck!!" ? glad ya kept the rubber side down bro:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
All I can picture are those little animals in the Michelin tire commercial with tire tracks on their stomachs.... :a20: Good driving. Glad you stayed upright... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I hit a pit bull, last year doing about the same speed. It happened right at dusk, as he broke his chain, and ran out from between 2 cars. I thought it was a kid at 1st. That really shook me up. I hit the hind quarters, and sent it into a spin, right in the path of an oncoming F-150. I was ok, Bike was ok, F-150 was ok. Dog was not so lucky.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I hit a pit bull, last year doing about the same speed. It happened right at dusk, as he broke his chain, and ran out from between 2 cars. I thought it was a kid at 1st. That really shook me up. I hit the hind quarters, and sent it into a spin, right in the path of an oncoming F-150. I was ok, Bike was ok, F-150 was ok. Dog was not so lucky.
i'm going to start calling you michael vick. :joke:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
:eek: considerably bigger than a raccoon there Hink, I have a 95lb. pit and couldn't imagine being able to keep her upright if I hit another one his size:eek:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
I've never hit a raccoon, but I found a groundhog is kind of hard to run over. They act like a ball and you sort of push them up the road. :D

Squirrels, I've hit enough of those to feed a family for a few weeks. They and rabbets always do that lane switching trick on you. No guessing which way is the right way to go to miss them, so you might as well steer straight for them.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
You had to ride over 4X4's in your BRC? We had 2x4's, you must've had some bents rims in that class. I broadsided an o'possum last night after supper, I was doing 60 and he came out of tall grass by a ditch at a narrow spot in the road so I kept it straight and squashed him because there wasn't enough time to swerve to avoid without a chance of dumping my 9.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I hit a racoon a few years ago come out of the ditch right in front of me I was on a hiway doing 55 -60 I didn`t have time to react at all I barley had time to figure out what the heck it was but I do remember trying to swerve away from him and managed to hit him with only my right front foot peg Ya scared the she it out of me. Glad you are ok and bike is ok!!!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
:congrats::nopic::joke::joke::joke:
You want me to go back and take a picture of the corpse of a poor woodland creature?

You sir are sick!

Maybe in the morning;)

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I hit a bar on the way home last night, not too dangerous though, 2 pops and it was over. Coulda been worse

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You had to ride over 4X4's in your BRC? We had 2x4's, you must've had some bents rims in that class.
Yup 4x4's

A 2x4 would barely prep you for normal potholes here.

I did not notice any bent rims. Those little 250's are BA little machines:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts