M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone! I have some questions about the M109R.

I dont know anyone in my city who owns one, but ive heard some supposedly stupid rumours about it. I want to clear it up before I consider the purchase of an M109. The things ive heard regarding the 109 were things like its instability at high speeds. I know the 109 can supposedly do about 200kph, the fastest I would consider going safely is about 160kph. Does the bike shake or vibrate violently at this speed? ive also heard that the gear box is extermely clunky and tends to not be smooth going in and out of the lower gears. The last thing ive heard was that its not manouverable enough. Now im not a crazy extreme biker, but my M50 has some very good manouverability and i know the 109 has a much bigger tire, so how is turning around 90 degree corners and going down the twisties? thanks for answering my questions

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
RicoChet said:
Hi there everyone! I have some questions about the M109R.

I dont know anyone in my city who owns one, but ive heard some supposedly stupid rumours about it. I want to clear it up before I consider the purchase of an M109. The things ive heard regarding the 109 were things like its instability at high speeds. I know the 109 can supposedly do about 200kph, the fastest I would consider going safely is about 160kph. Does the bike shake or vibrate violently at this speed? ive also heard that the gear box is extermely clunky and tends to not be smooth going in and out of the lower gears. The last thing ive heard was that its not manouverable enough. Now im not a crazy extreme biker, but my M50 has some very good manouverability and i know the 109 has a much bigger tire, so how is turning around 90 degree corners and going down the twisties? thanks for answering my questions
This is my first street bike and I was comfortable over 100MPH within 500 miles of owning it. In fact, the first time I broke 100 was by accident passing some clown on the highway.

There is some clunkiness in the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts. But if you do it just right it is not bad. It is normal for this bike. Also, Synthetic oil helps.

It is the best cruiser in the twisties as far as I can tell. Everyone here raves about it, even the ex sport bike guys. Yes it is still a cruiser so NO you wont be dragging your knee but it should be much better than your M50.

90 Degree turns are fine.

The only real issue I remember from the beginning is the touchy throttle. take it easy in the beginning and learn to give the guy in front a little more room before starting out because you will catch him fast. shift to second early if you are putting around a parking lot.

Sledzep

·
Registered
765 Posts
sledzep01 is right on with his post. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here's my take...

Shakes violently at high speed. Well somewhat. But it's kinda like eating wassabe with sushi. That first taste is like YEOW, damn, get it outta my mouth HOT, but now it's like an aphrodesiac. I eat so much sushi now, every bite with the green hot stuff, I think I'm gonna turn into a roll. Now when I'm on the M I can't wait to go 90-100 mph it's so soothing. It's like getting a great massage every day.

Trans is clunky. At first yes, but after a few hundred miles it calms down. Just need to be very assertive with the 1-2 shift. It don't want to be babied.

Maneuverability: Well let me say this. I hadn't ridden a motorcycle for about 20 years and yes at first thought it felt rather large, but after now having driven it about 3,000 miles I handle it and it lets me. I think for having that big back tire it is extremely nimble and handles very well. One thing I do notice now is the bike gets smaller after you take off and responds well to the right input.

All in all a great ride. You will not be disappointed unless you are looking for real cushy. This is definitely a bike you know you're riding.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have had burple 9 for a monthor so and love it. Very smooth @ 120mph, in fact you don't feel it at all. this bike is a cruiser but extremly agile. Throttle response is instantanios and strong till red line. The tranny is alittle clunky put a small price to pay for the looks and perfomance of the BULL.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I ride with a guy who owns an M50 and when we wind it out through the twisties I am dragging pegs in corners where he still has a couple inches of clearance.... so no, it's not as agile as your M50.

HOWEVER, it is still pretty nimble and corners better then probably a lot of people have the testicular fortitude to try.

Transmission... Like Sled wrote, 1st to second makes a clunk, but you get used to it. And the Synth does help.

Regarding the violent shaking... Never felt it and I have had mine up over 110mph MANY times...

If I were shopping for a bike again knowing what I know now I would buy another 109!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Rock solid at 145mph and still pulling ( with just the JSD 3M modification) Got to have a good grip to stop getting blown off though :D

Handling is great considering what the bike is. Rode with a buddy who was pushing his FZ1 ( good rider but no pro) and it kept with him through the twisties, also with my son trying to lose me on his Yam R6, he didn't but there were a few skid marks.... in my pants :eek:

There are very few cruisers that can come close to it in all round performance. The Triumph Speed 3 and the Screaming Eagle V-Rod and perhaps a warrior in the twisties but for what this bike costs there is nothing even close that can give you a bigger grin!!! :bigthumbsup:

Just Do It - You won't regret it :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
What they all said and it gets better every day I feel more comfortable every day. I feel it takes a year or about 8k miles to feel as one with the machine. My forever riding buddy who bought my 02 1800 VTX has clocked about 2k miles since he started riding with me and the 109. He is an experienced rider and is getting better and more comfortable on it each time we ride. I am starting to push harder and can usually put some distance between him and me in the twisties. The wide tire is less noticeable.Synthetic oil seemes to quiet and ease shifting.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
first off, i've personally not experienced any instability at any speed, nor have i heard of anyone having speed wobble or anything. most of us here have topped our bikes out at least once.

secondly, there is no shaking or vibrating save under 2k due to bogging, and then again at 3k-4k due to harmonics. both of those zones are relatively tame to begin with. personally i think the 3-4k zone actually feels good, like the beast is making power, and tellin you to hang on before it really hits the power band. it's a very MINOR vibration, less than other big V-twins out there.

if you are really concerned about top speed, and going fast, you are buying the wrong bike. it'll go fast, but it's a CRUISER. you need fairings to go fast and be comfortable. this bike is about torque, and 0-60 fun.

thirdly, what you heard about the gearbox is true. from 1st to 2nd is the big clunk. 2nd to third has a small one. however, this can be tamed for the most part by adjusting your clutch, and using some really good engine oil. the clutch has almost no room for error in it. the full range of the handle pretty much takes up the whole range of fully closed to fully open. BUT, there is a little room, and the dealers go by the service manual of leaving X number of mm's of play in it. this makes it clunky because you don't fully disengage the clutch when pulled back. get rid of that little bit of play and it brings it down to a very tame level (although it's still a stout shift).

as for manueverability, it's great. it does take some getting used to, however. anyone that just hops on one and hits some twisties probably won't be able to push it like someone that's ridden it for a while. it's more due to it's weight than the rear tire imo. at low speed, this is effect is exaggerated. you really have to counter balance if you want to take a sharp low speed turn. some people are scared of that. you just have to trust it, and not be scared of the big beast. it'll weave in and out of twisties very well for you.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for answering my questions everyone! I just wanted to clear up that im not interested in the bike for "SPEED" but I know that these new cruisers have enough balls to keep up with most other bikers. When I go riding in the summer with my friends and family im the only one who has a cruiser and I like to keep up, which usually means keeping up at 140-160kph at times. My M50 can definitely do 160kph but it seems to be towards the very high RPMS and pushing it to the limit.

If the clunkiness is between the 1'st and 2'nd gear that im not worried about that because it's typical in most bikes ive ridden. As far as the twisties go ive known fatter tires to stay glued to the ground very well in a straight line but ive never attempted any good cornering on anything bigger then a 160 back tire. My brothers MT-01 has a 180 but thats still not as fat as the 109 back tire.

I guess my next question is about the insurance rates that are typical for your 109? Let me point out that in my state, I pay $2200 A YEAR for my M50. Thats cheap consdering that now im over 25, and before I was 25 the insurance rates were between $3500 and $6500 a year because we have HORRIBLE drivers in my city.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have driven both of these bikes,wife has the M50 and if i drive my wife"s bike and then the 109 that giant smile comes right back on your face. Wow what another 1,000 c.c."s will do for you.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I had 93 VS 800. M109r much more high-speed stable, much less bothered by pavement irregularities,agree w other owners.One NEG item, she is tough to 'walk' up even slight grade, in garage parking,etc compared to 800,(250 lbs hvyr!) And abide kick-stand cautions! Took me about 500-600 miles & 1 day She felt completely natural, BIG  :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: kick ever since!DO IT!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Rico, you won't be dissapointed, yes the gbox is clunky BUT you also have to look at the fact that this machine has a huge engine, 1800cc's is not easy to tame, especially since some performance is engineered into it straight off the Hayabusa. I have taken mine up to 130mph, and my buddy Doug took his to 140mph, no wobbiness and the only instability is due to the barn door aerodynamics of this machine just muscling it's way into the triple digit speeds. You will not be dissapointed is you buy one, I recommend you get the JSD-3M mod to take care of the "chugginess" of parking lot maneuverability. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
No high speed wobbles or tank slappin going on with this machine and I've personally piloted the 9 above 145mph, man this the new KING OF THE HILL of cruisers :super:. Your concerns with the tranny are due the the cut of the gears. I understand they have a wide cut that can attribute to some clunking. you just have to shift with authority, and it should be fine, also has a lot to do with the RPM range you make your shifts. I know sometimes the 9 will shift as soft as a box of kittens and then there are times it sounds like something feel off the bike. The best thing is the sound of the V-twin, after riding awhile you'll probably tune out any trans issues.
To all the post prior to this one, all are right on the money and definitely secure in their decision on the purchase. Now with all this being said you should be looking for your keys and heading out to the stealer to pick out your brand new KING OF THE HILL. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
924 Posts
RicoChet said:
I guess my next question is about the insurance rates that are typical for your 109? Let me point out that in my state, I pay $2200 A YEAR for my M50. Thats cheap consdering that now im over 25, and before I was 25 the insurance rates were between $3500 and $6500 a year because we have HORRIBLE drivers in my city.
WHAT 2Gs holy crap. I pay 450 for a year with 1/4 mill in coverage with State Farm.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BlackCherry said:
Dude, you're getting ripped off on insurance rates! Those are sportbike rates! Check out this thread:
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3084.0
Hope this helps! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:
HEh I know its hard to believe but In my city of Toronto, we have the worst insurance rates ever due to "Chinese Drivers" in my area. I live in a part of the suburbs where its practically half china town and people drive like their still in Hong Kong and almost every single accident that either my family or friends have been involved is due to these "Chinese Drivers". That why our insurance rates are so high. When I was looking to get insurance for my Honda Shadow 750 ACE I was quoted as high as $6500 for a year (BTW thats only 6 months of riding due to the winter) AND i have a perfect driving record, no tickets NOTHING. So we are getting screwed over BIG TIME. I get my insurance through Riders Plus which is all they insure, just motorcycles and I still have to pay $2200 a year for a puny 800CC motorcycle. Its pathetic. My brother is 32 years old, no accidents, his MT-01 has a 1670CC motor which he pays $1800 a year on. Its totally ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
RicoChet said:
I still have to pay $2200 a year for a puny 800CC motorcycle.
Yeah but those are Canadian dollars, and that's only equal to about $500 in USA dollars. :a20: ;)

Seriously, I just moved from the SF Bay Area where I lived for about 12 years and it's the same way. Every time I saw someone do something really stupid while driving it was almost always an asian driving, especially the women!! My ex-wife is filipino and a lot of her women friends don't even have their license. We were always having to pick them up to take them with us to events. I was just down there a month or so ago and took my girlfriend with me, it was her first time in California. We pulled into a parking space and were sitting there when an asian woman started pulling into the space beside us. She couldn't do it and had to get out of the car and let her daughter (I assume) part it for her. I guess I should be thankful, if she had tried to finish pulling into the spot herself she might have hit my car. Freaking ridiculous!! ::)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts