M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning!
I just purchased on Amazon a set of LED Turn Signals for my 2008 9er. My plan it to replace them myself! I'd like to say that I am kinda handy but Motorcycle electronics are not my strong suit. I did install a Kuryakyn Road Thunder Sound bar and nothing blew up!

I do need a little help. These turn signals have 3 wires shown below:
Black Line for ground, White Line for running lights, Yellow Line for signal lights.

Is there any that can tell me what I might see as far as my stock wires color and what they do? I'm talking front and back.

This site has been great with helpful tips!

Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Administrator
2008 M109R, 2016 FJR1300, 1999 VMax
5,824 Posts
@Bering_C_Sparky has a nice wiring diagram. I thought I swiped it, but I can't find it. I believe he will post it for you before too long.

Reactions: GruntLeader

·
Administrator
5,824 Posts
Look at my signature, and click where it says "Click"

The 1st and 6th items should be of interest to you.

EDIT: I found a thread that shows the front turn signal wire as orange/green on a 2012, but I don't know which side, or if it's both.

Reactions: Zoom

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,579 Posts
Good Morning!
I just purchased on Amazon a set of LED Turn Signals for my 2008 9er. My plan it to replace them myself! I'd like to say that I am kinda handy but Motorcycle electronics are not my strong suit. I did install a Kuryakyn Road Thunder Sound bar and nothing blew up!

I do need a little help. These turn signals have 3 wires shown below:
Black Line for ground, White Line for running lights, Yellow Line for signal lights.

Is there any that can tell me what I might see as far as my stock wires color and what they do? I'm talking front and back.

This site has been great with helpful tips!

Any guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!!
One thing you should know from the start. OEM front bulbs have 2 filaments, one is for running light and the second one is for the signal light, therefore 3 wires (one is ground). Rear bulbs have only one filament = 2 wires respectively..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing you should know from the start. OEM front bulbs have 2 filaments, one is for running light and the second one is for the signal light, therefore 3 wires (one is ground). Rear bulbs have only one filament = 2 wires respectively..
Thank You what color does what on the OEM? SINCE my new signals have a wire for ground where might you recommend I place them? Thank you so much!

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,579 Posts
Thank You what color does what on the OEM? SINCE my new signals have a wire for ground where might you recommend I place them? Thank you so much!
I do not know the colours, not even sure they are the same on all years. But you if you make a mistake nothing will be damaged, all you do is just switch the running with signal, since the ground is obvious...no harm done...

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Here is the front signal diagram screen shot cropped from the service manual.
Its easy to tell from this drawing that B/W (black with white tracer is your ground (12vdc -) conductor. (for both sides)
Gr (Green) is the running lights from the signal socket back to the electrical connector and O/G is the running lights from the bike harness to the electrical connector.(for both sides)
B (Black) is the turn signal from the signal lamp socket back to the electrical connector. (For both sides)
Lg (light green) is the right side signal conductor from the bike harness to the electrical connector.
B (Black) is the left side signal conductor from the bike harness to the electrical connector.

BCS

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not know the colours, not even sure they are the same on all years. But you if you make a mistake nothing will be damaged, all you do is just switch the running with signal, since the ground is obvious...no harm done...
Thank you very much! This helps a lot!
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My new turn signals just arrived! I have taken a few pics. And I am wondering if any may then on their bike? They are made by PBYMT. Purchased them from Amazon. Pics below. 20210722_151425.jpg 20210722_151412.jpg

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
3,579 Posts
My new turn signals just arrived! I have taken a few pics. And I am wondering if any may then on their bike? They are made by PBYMT. Purchased them from Amazon. Pics below. View attachment 419696 View attachment 419697
Pretty...those are obviously for the front, since they are 3 wire system,
hope they will cover existing holes the OEM will leave you with..🤞

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They came in a set of 4 they all have 3 wires. My main concern is if the rear has only 2. As I have come to understand. The black wire on the new turn signal is the ground, the white wire is for the running lights, and the yellow is for the signal lights. This is gonna be fun!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
They came in a set of 4 they all have 3 wires. My main concern is if the rear has only 2. As I have come to understand. The black wire on the new turn signal is the ground, the white wire is for the running lights, and the yellow is for the signal lights. This is gonna be fun!
For the rear you just cap off the wire for running lights (white) coming out of the new turn signal and don't use it.
You cannot use them for running lights on the rear unless they are red in color, and if they were red it would be easy enough to tap into the taillight conductor to make the running light work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the rear you just cap off the wire for running lights (white) coming out of the new turn signal and don't use it.
You cannot use them for running lights on the rear unless they are red in color, and if they were red it would be easy enough to tap into the taillight conductor to make the running light work.
Thank You. Are the turns signals in the front 3 wire? I have never changed turn signals before so excuse me for all of the questions. Again thank you for the tips!

·
Administrator
5,824 Posts
Thank You. Are the turns signals in the front 3 wire? I have never changed turn signals before so excuse me for all of the questions. Again thank you for the tips!
Yes, BCS gave you detailed schematics for the front & rear.
THIS POST and the next

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is the front signal diagram screen shot cropped from the service manual.
Its easy to tell from this drawing that B/W (black with white tracer is your ground (12vdc -) conductor. (for both sides)
Gr (Green) is the running lights from the signal socket back to the electrical connector and O/G is the running lights from the bike harness to the electrical connector.(for both sides)
B (Black) is the turn signal from the signal lamp socket back to the electrical connector. (For both sides)
Lg (light green) is the right side signal conductor from the bike harness to the electrical connector.
B (Black) is the left side signal conductor from the bike harness to the electrical connector.

BCS
Thank you!!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Those new turn signals look like they have LEDs rather than incandescent bulbs. If that is the case, you are going to need to add resistors to the turn signal circuits or replace the flasher unit for one that is designed for LEDs. Otherwise your directional lights will flash very fast. I am not sure about the 4-way flashers.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those new turn signals look like they have LEDs rather than incandescent bulbs. If that is the case, you are going to need to add resistors to the turn signal circuits or replace the flasher unit for one that is designed for LEDs. Otherwise your directional lights will flash very fast. I am not sure about the 4-way flashers.
They are.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts