M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If any of you guys have these particular pipes installed, can ya shoot me some better photos?

And will they wake the neighbors and set off alarms.. Not a big fan of the HEY LOOK AT ME sound.. Do like a nice rumble though..

I have debaffled my stockers and they sound ok, but need a lil more, not to mention wanting some performance as well..

With the removal of the SET valve were there any issues with the computer?

Thanks
Los

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I do not have any of the pipes shown, I chose the Cobra Tri-Pro 2-into-1. But I can help on the SET issue. Most pipes come with a thingamajig that replaces the SET, and fools the computer into thinking it is still there. These are susceptible to failure, putting the bike into a Limp-Home mode, i.e. riding very slowly.

The best solution is to simply pull the wire out of the ECU that recognizes the SET. By doing so, you eliminate the need for the dummy SET, thus avoiding possible problems down the line.

I started out with the dummy SET, but it was visible and looked out-of-place. Some two weeks later, I pulled the left side cover, removed the wire harness plug from the ECU, pulled the correct wire out with a pair of needle-nose pliars, re-connected the plug, re-installed left side cover.

Not a problem with this method. I used to have a link with instructions, but due to a computer crash and new computer, I have since lost it. But have patience, someone else will be along shortly to provide you with that.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I do not have any of the pipes shown, I chose the Cobra Tri-Pro 2-into-1. But I can help on the SET issue. Most pipes come with a thingamajig that replaces the SET, and fools the computer into thinking it is still there. These are susceptible to failure, putting the bike into a Limp-Home mode, i.e. riding very slowly.

The best solution is to simply pull the wire out of the ECU that recognizes the SET. By doing so, you eliminate the need for the dummy SET, thus avoiding possible problems down the line.

I started out with the dummy SET, but it was visible and looked out-of-place. Some two weeks later, I pulled the left side cover, removed the wire harness plug from the ECU, pulled the correct wire out with a pair of needle-nose pliars, re-connected the plug, re-installed left side cover.

Not a problem with this method. I used to have a link with instructions, but due to a computer crash and new computer, I have since lost it. But have patience, someone else will be along shortly to provide you with that.:bigthumbsup:
It is in Hinks thread stickied at the top of the shop section. The piece you are talking about is called a cam. I pulled my wire as he stated and just eliminated the SET. I kept it with my stock pipes so for any reason I need to change back, it will be a piece of cake. Here is a link to it.

Q: How do I disable an "FI" light, caused from my SET?
A: Follow these instructions: http://www.bigpapam109.com/downloads/disable_set.pdf

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
And it is actually simpler than the instructions. All you need do is unplug the harness from the ECU, you do not need to remove the ECU! Once unplugged, use a pair of needle-nose pliars to gently but firmly pull the noted wire out of the harness. Then re-plug the harness and start riding.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,870 Posts
so should i just unplug and pull wire or install the cycle house cam installing my pipes inthe next day or two
I would pull the wire. Eventually that cam stops working and you'll have to do it anyway. Plus you can remove the SET actuator and save a pound or two. Just unplug it and tape the ends of the connectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts