M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long ago, in what seems like a galaxy far, far away, I rode sport bikes.

I realized liter bikes would be my suicide weapon if I kept riding them, so I went down to the 600s and loved tossing them into the corners.

I came to realize that I just can not be trusted sitting on a sport bike.

So, I did not have a bike for 2 years, then went to a small cruiser, then 2 touring bikes.

I came straight from touring bikes to the 9.

Compared to the touring bikes, the 9 cornered and performed like a dream.

I have been having great fun with the 9 and I tend to find the feelers in many corners.

I had convinced myself that I may need to be running it a little closer to the limits, but that I was getting sport-bike-like cornering speeds from the 9.

This was confirmed by the sport bikes I have been riding with telling me I am pushing them in the twists and my thread on my brother going into a corn field on a corner I made right in front of him.

Well, tonight I needed to leave my truck at my brother's house so that meant I was taking his Ninja 650 home.

Now, I know the roads between our homes well and am very familiar with speeds I can approach corners at on the 9.

On the first such corner, I set up at the speed I would have on the 9 and hardly felt like I was moving through the corner.

On the next, I upped it a little and found I was still well short being anywhere near a safe limit.

I will skip the turn-by-turn and sum it up by saying that I did a ride that predictably takes me 40 minutes in comfortably under 30 minutes. Just to give you a point of reference, the GPS says the trip should be 52 minutes.

In there, I covered a stretch with no lights or stop signs that I have never been able to cover in under 8 minutes on the 9. Tonight, I was nicely under 6 minutes.

As I pulled his bike into my garage next to the 9 I realized I had been kidding myself about a few things.

1. The 9 is no sport bike
2. The guys I ride with on sport bikes can not corner for a damn if I am pushing them on the 9.

However, I also realized that I have not been kidding myself on another thing: that I can not be trusted on a sports bike.

I am rather sure I will live longer dragging the pegs on the 9 than I would trying to find the pegs or a sport bike.

Also, when I got off the Ninja, my wrist hurt, my shoulders were stiff, my knees were killing me and my feet were a little numb.

I LOVE THE 9!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Long ago, in what seems like a galaxy far, far away, I rode sport bikes.

I realized liter bikes would be my suicide weapon if I kept riding them, so I went down to the 600s and loved tossing them into the corners.

I came to realize that I just can not be trusted sitting on a sport bike.

So, I did not have a bike for 2 years, then went to a small cruiser, then 2 touring bikes.

I came straight from touring bikes to the 9.

Compared to the touring bikes, the 9 cornered and performed like a dream.

I have been having great fun with the 9 and I tend to find the feelers in many corners.

I had convinced myself that I may need to be running it a little closer to the limits, but that I was getting sport-bike-like cornering speeds from the 9.

This was confirmed by the sport bikes I have been riding with telling me I am pushing them in the twists and my thread on my brother going into a corn field on a corner I made right in front of him.

Well, tonight I needed to leave my truck at my brother's house so that meant I was taking his Ninja 650 home.

Now, I know the roads between our homes well and am very familiar with speeds I can approach corners at on the 9.

On the first such corner, I set up at the speed I would have on the 9 and hardly felt like I was moving through the corner.

On the next, I upped it a little and found I was still well short being anywhere near a safe limit.

I will skip the turn-by-turn and sum it up by saying that I did a ride that predictably takes me 40 minutes in comfortably under 30 minutes. Just to give you a point of reference, the GPS says the trip should be 52 minutes.

In there, I covered a stretch with no lights or stop signs that I have never been able to cover in under 8 minutes on the 9. Tonight, I was nicely under 6 minutes.

As I pulled his bike into my garage next to the 9 I realized I had been kidding myself about a few things.

2. The guys I ride with on sport bikes can not corner for a damn if I am pushing them on the 9.

However, I also realized that I have not been kidding myself on another thing: that I can not be trusted on a sports bike.

I am rather sure I will live longer dragging the pegs on the 9 than I would trying to find the pegs or a sport bike.

Also, when I got off the Ninja, my wrist hurt, my shoulders were stiff, my knees were killing me and my feet were a little numb.

I LOVE THE 9!!
:doorag::bigthumbsup:

I'll be looking for new floor boards next.

Ride safe brother.
:super:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Yup

Doing crazy speeds on a ninja and carving up the road has its price on our bodes!!! I too find the 9 a very nice and comfortable cruise for the twisties. I dont need to do 40 MPH above a 30MPH corner. On the 9 I feel comfortable with 20 MPH over a marked corner. Has a real nice stable feel. NICE post by the way LOL:agree:

·
Registered
643 Posts
whew

my initial thought when i read the thread title and first few lines of your post was that you were switching back

Glad to see your staying with the sweet nine ya got. The inevitable body aches from the layout of the sport bike & the knowledge that I would have turned into a suicide squid is what had me never even get on one & why i went straight to a cruiser.

BTW, I have been practicing a lil bit probably heading back north in a few weeks 8)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have the same problem....I love riding my bike at it's performance limits. The issue is that on a sport bike (even a 600) that limit doesn't occur until you reach suicidal speeds. The beauty of the 9 is that it pulls almost as hard as my CBR 600 used to but it's more limited lean angle keeps me from trying to drag my knee on public roadways.

Also my rocket bike was only good for about 2 hours before my back and forearms would begin to ache. The size, weight, and ergos of the 9 make it comfortable for me to go all day long. The only stops I need are for gas, food, and bladder.

:agree:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
AAHHH ! the good old days
had a Ninja for 24 years , when I sold it the buyer asked
me how come it only had 30,000 miles on it .....
You say : "I realized liter bikes would be my
suicide weapon if I kept riding them ".
Very true, so I got the 9 , then sold the Ninja .
Every ride used to be the same , going out there thinking
OK today I just ride around , no crazy stuff ,
the next thing you know , I 'm face down in the fairing
the visor on the helmet is buzzing from vibrations ,
following the front wheel , not giving a second thought
about the rear going all over the place .
Always wondering when will I loose the permit for just one ticket.
I am happy to report that I am succeeding in just
simple riding for the fun of it on the 9 ,CRUZING :D.

Thanks for reminding me of all this Square Rounder.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah a guy who truly knows how to ride a sportbike will blow doors on the M109R and it's not even really a contest. There's just alot of very average sportbike riders out there that are impressed with a "cruiser" rider hanging with them or even pushing them. :eek:

Sportbike scare the hell out of me and I know for a fact it would just be trouble if I got one. Those bikes are just begging you to go faster & lean farther.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
:agree: with both of those statements; however, the 109 is a FREAK for what it is (cruiser).

Those bikes are just begging you to go faster & lean farther.
Guilty as charged, Sir! :doorag::cop:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my initial thought when i read the thread title and first few lines of your post was that you were switching back

Glad to see your staying with the sweet nine ya got. The inevitable body aches from the layout of the sport bike & the knowledge that I would have turned into a suicide squid is what had me never even get on one & why i went straight to a cruiser.

BTW, I have been practicing a lil bit probably heading back north in a few weeks 8)
Any time you want to get back out and ride, let me know.

No need for some organized plan. A simple text: "wana ride" is what starts most of my group rides, so let me know.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:agree: with both of those statements; however, the 109 is a FREAK for what it is (cruiser).
I think it is the freak cruiser performance that has let me kid myself into thinking I was getting sport bike cornering.

The 9 is definitely a step closer to a sport bike than anything else I have ever ridden that has called itself a cruise.

I do want to be clear that in saying the 9 is no sport bike, I am not insulting the 9. There are just different intended purposes among bikes.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Just remember, you got a 9 to put and end to things like: running from the police at extremely high speeds, not losing it at 240km/hr, running from the police at extremely high speeds...........did I say running from the police at extremely high speeds?

Your current bike is powerful, fun, and (somewhat) prevents you from getting in trouble with the law.

Remember that!

PS- did you hear about the sportbike rider that dumped the girl that was with him on the highway in Toronto about a month ago?, during a high speed getaway? She died. Run over by other cars (including the police chasing him). That happened about 10 min away from my house. They just arrested him a few days ago after hiding from the law for weeks.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a little add-on.

It has been hours since I got off the Ninja.

I have slept in my own bed.

My right knee is still killing me and my thumbs are sore.:dontknow:

·
Registered
147 Posts
knee down

Nice post buddy,i to had ridden sports bikes for years,and here in the UK we have some serious bends and lots of roundabouts,pretty much every weekend id be wrecking my kneesliders and hitting stupid speeds,iv done Trackdays at Brands Hatch,and donnington park,but like you i just decided one day enough is enough,i could never give up the buzz i get from riding but knew if i didnt slowdown i was gonna be dead or crippled,i never really got the cruiser thing and spent a few years on Big Adventure bikes,but then i discovered the 9 it had gone under my Radar knew nothing about it at all,all of a sudden here was a bike that looked cool and was quick,sure i drag the pegs on every roundabout and this for sure is no fireblade but i love this thing more than any bike iv owned,and i really cant ever see me getting rid,it keeps me in check i love all the attention it gets and i love the way it torques its way to the horizon when i hit the go switch,but it tells me when im pushing to hard and slows me down again so i can take in the scenery......

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
i love the way it torques its way to the horizon when i hit the go switch,but it tells me when im pushing to hard and slows me down again so i can take in the scenery......
:agree::agree::agree:

That's exactly what I really like about this bike. No it's not a sportbike, but it's good looking, good hp/torque, great handling, comfortable and you can ride it hard or you can cruise and take in the scenery!!!

I do understand some sportbikers not feeling enough speed on it when you can rev a crotch rocket past 100mph in first gear. :eek:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'm reminded of these facts every time I jump on my son in laws CBR XX but you gotta admit, the 9 handles great for a big bike (also faster and better looking than most).
And there's no way I could have ridden to Vegas on his Honda.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Just a little add-on.

It has been hours since I got off the Ninja.

I have slept in my own bed.

My right knee is still killing me and my thumbs are sore.:dontknow:
Wow! From a mid-30s, I am sure glad I took my age (nearing 50) seriously and didn't go for a Super bike but took the 9. Would have been a disaster!:redfaced:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm glad to see some perspective from guys who have ridden sportbikes and now ride the 9. I still ride a GSXR600 and would like to move up to a 9 someday, but I'm really concerned that I might lose a lot of the "flickability" and being able to brake on a dime.

And certainly, most guys riding sportbikes on the street have no idea how to take a corner. Take a look at the Novice group at most Track Days. They are usually the guys who have been riding on the street for years, but get a rude awakening when they have to take a real corner at 100 mph.

Here is a nice road, here in Missouri, that is 109 worthy:

I sped the video up about 3x so it didn't go on forever...

darrin

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
I think the 9 does good when riding with sport bikes because it accelerates so hard between and out of turns. I usually get a little edge on them there. But then I get on my wife's S50 and find I can go around curves at a higher rate of speed than on my 9 and have realized the same as you, a lot of sport bike riders just can't corner that well.

Then you have guys like my friend with a BMW R 1200 GS that knows how to ride, and even with that adventure bike he's out of sight in the first couple minutes after we hit some curves.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! From a mid-30s, I am sure glad I took my age (nearing 50) seriously and didn't go for a Super bike but took the 9. Would have been a disaster!:redfaced:
Yeah, I am not old enough to be that sore.

I had to ride it back today and it was more comfortable this time.

I guess it just takes some getting accustomed to.

Before I left, I told myself, just cruise it up there, no need to push it.

Well, I beat even last night's time.

(I think the fact that I still time runs is a bad sign.)

I even found myself hanging my head after one move that clearly made me that A-hole sportbike rider we all love to say we hate.

STOP READING HERE IF YOU ARE GOING TO JUDGE ME.

I AM NOT ADVOCATING THIS BEHAVIOR AND SHARE IT MOSTLY SO SOMEBODY HERE WILL ACTUALLY RIDE TO MY HOUSE AND KICK MY AZZ IF I EVER SAY I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A SPORT BIKE.

I came up behind 3 cruisers doing about 55 in a 45.

100 yards later there was a set of dashed lines and an open oncoming lane.

I was in 3rd gear and just cranked my right wrist to pass.

Well, it turns out 55mph is just below the green power range from 10,000 rpms to the 18,000rpm redline.

So, that wrist crack not only nicely jumped me to passing speed, but also pulled the front wheel off the ground.

Luckily one wheel riding comes back to you like hopping on a bicycle and it did not even phase me enough to roll off the throttle.

As I passed the lead bike, I hit the rev limiter, which I must say is the smoothest way to come back down to 2 wheels.

But now I am at about 130 and there are 2 more cars it would be nice to clear so I would have open road in front of me, but the are hardly close.

So, I stay in the left lane, shift to 4th and close the gap and pass the first car.

Well, the second it a Mustang GT who wants to play bad azz and stomps it.

Funny! I am closing on him with a speed differential of about 80mph. Not sure what he expected.

What he did do, was prolong my passing time enough that an oncoming car was now a real factor.

As I clear his front bumper, I am on the yellow line between the mustang and the oncoming car.

Once I put some distance on the line I had just passed in glorious A-hole fashion, I hung my head and told myself: 'you are that A-hole on a sport bike that makes people nervous around all motorcycles'.

Even knowing my tendencies and deciding to cruise that run, I still made it clear to myself AGAIN that I can not be trusted on a sport bike.

KICK MY AZZ IF I EVER SAY I ACTUALLY WANT TO BUY A SPORT BIKE!!!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts