M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must say I love Canada. But as a motorcyclist I have to envey all you guys outside of Canuck land that get to ride all year. All I get to do is start my 9 and listen to the sweet sound. Its bitter sweet when you cant ride it.

Ok thats my snow rant thanks for listening. :'(

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not sorry bro. :joke: I feel for ya, but I'm enjoying the cooler weather. No snow in my neck of "the wood."

·
Registered
948 Posts
As a former Montana resident I feel your pain. Living in Oklahoma I get to ride at least a couple of times a month throughout the winter months. The thing is the quality of the ride is so much better when you are where you are. I would love to ride the Ice fields Parkway to Banf and Lake Louise. Here just a whole lot of straight lines. I have ridden for a half hour or more just to get to a road where there is a curve or two. I love riding even in a straight line but the scenery available not anywhere near the Beauty at your disposal. Where I used to live in Butte Montana... a fifteen minute ride put you on switchbacks and mountain passes in 3 different directions. Yeah there were those 6 months without riding but what a great 6 months of riding. So while you are listening to your engine run... get the maps out and plan where you will go... I know it's not the same... but there is something to be said for quality over quantity. So next summer when i am riding in the blazing Oklahoma heat... i can come home and see the amazing pictures of the stunning beauty of the ride you went on and posted to this site... it's then that our roles will be reversed and I will be living vicariously through you. Winter will soon pass and the freedom of the wind will be yours once again.

·
Registered
643 Posts
So while you are listening to your engine run... get the maps out and plan where you will go... I know it's not the same... but there is something to be said for quality over quantity. .
:agree:
I spend a good amount of my free time in the winter months doing exactly that & it has been a huge payoff when riding season rolls around. If/when i get a day to ride in the winter and some good prospect roads are within a reasonable ride for the conditions I will take a rather leisurely ride to see if I like the road enough to start designing a ride around it.

It has allowed me to build a few different style of rides where i can take a nice ride up into the hills and enjoy some high speed sweepers, two lane cruising mix with some nice twisties tossed in for more technical fun. Or, I can stay local and kill a few hours, 1/2 tank of gas and a set of floorboard/peg feelers. The choice is now mine from studying the maps and I am looking forward to working some more map time this winter to build my ride repertoire.

I use a Delorme Gazzetter Map Book ,but no matter what brand you would get I would strongly recommend a Topographical Map book following natural features seems to lead me towards the best riding

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
As a former Montana resident I feel your pain. Living in Oklahoma I get to ride at least a couple of times a month throughout the winter months. The thing is the quality of the ride is so much better when you are where you are. I would love to ride the Ice fields Parkway to Banf and Lake Louise. Here just a whole lot of straight lines. I have ridden for a half hour or more just to get to a road where there is a curve or two. I love riding even in a straight line but the scenery available not anywhere near the Beauty at your disposal. Where I used to live in Butte Montana... a fifteen minute ride put you on switchbacks and mountain passes in 3 different directions. Yeah there were those 6 months without riding but what a great 6 months of riding. So while you are listening to your engine run... get the maps out and plan where you will go... I know it's not the same... but there is something to be said for quality over quantity. So next summer when i am riding in the blazing Oklahoma heat... i can come home and see the amazing pictures of the stunning beauty of the ride you went on and posted to this site... it's then that our roles will be reversed and I will be living vicariously through you. Winter will soon pass and the freedom of the wind will be yours once again.
:agree: ok I feel a bit better :bigthumbsup:. And another note I love Montana. I have traveled all over it.

Picture I took last summer in Banff. I also added a current one and one from Yellowstone just for you :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
I must say I love Canada. But as a motorcyclist I have to envey all you guys outside of Canuck land that get to ride all year. All I get to do is start my 9 and listen to the sweet sound. Its bitter sweet when you cant ride it.

I know exactly how you feel:-[ In Germany it is no different.:redfaced: We also have a condo in Naples Florida but needless to say we are here 90% of the year and also the beast is here. I usually rent a Harley when I am there nice bike but not the same. Maybe next year I will send it over in advance. $1000 one way from Hamburg to Miami but then the EG cost around $200 a day incl. insurance. I will have to kick around the pro´s and cons first;)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Winter finds the Southern U.S.

I'm in Central Georgia and it's 39 degrees out right now. Supposed to get down into the low 20's tonight. It gets cold down here at times as well. I got the Fireplace roaring & gonna watch some football today. Good day to just hang out in doors.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Look at it this way. In summers when its so hot we can't ride, you are enjoying perfect weather.

Anything below about 55 and I'm not riding anyways.....lol

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Look at it this way. In summers when its so hot we can't ride, you are enjoying perfect weather.

I used to say that I would not ride in anything less than 60. Now, I'm riding in 45 degree weather. It aint too bad as long as your dressed for it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
winter is to long

I just came in from cleaning my driveway and yes I prefer summer over winter. I guess I will appreciate the riding season when it returns.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts

I may get a little uncomfortable but I can't say it's ever too hot for me to ride. Just a nut like that I guess:dontknow:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
948 Posts
Djm2u,

Your photos almost have me drooling.... a picture is worth more than a thousand words... you have proved my point... quite beautifully. I hope to get to ride in Montana again soon. I would love to add Canada to the Itinerary... at least Waterton. If not this year well hopefully soon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
the bike riding is not far from my heart as winter bears down on us , however i just change gears and jump on my motorcycle with a track! 07 yamaha apex gt!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
480 Posts
It was 39 in orlando this morning. Ride everyday. When I get off the bike I look like the kid from christmas story (my arms wont move). Sometimes I can barely move to get my backpack off!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Living in Austin, Texas, I ride all year round, as long as there's no ice on the overpasses, and it isn't raining...

Pics taken last year, before and after my arrival @ work

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Living in Austin, Texas, I ride all year round, as long as there's no ice on the overpasses, and it isn't raining...

Pics taken last year, before and after my arrival @ work
The cold isnt so bad in the photo of your thermomiter take it down to -19C thats what I was rideing in just before the snow. The snow and ice is the only thing that made me stop. Ya just have to dress for it.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts