M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got a big f^*k dent in the tank,and one badge removed from gravity,I took the other one off,and found that Acetone and a razor blade took the glue off in 12 minutes.You must use some fineness with the razor balde ,but works like a champ. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Badge Removal:

Start with floss or fishing string... (I used floss).  Put the pressure against the tank (more you get off the first time the better). Using a saw action and maintaining pressure against the tank side... Start to pull/push, within seconds you'll be done.

Remaining Goo:

After playing around with a High-Heat gun, a few minutes with a razor blade, and of course goop removal... I found a method that sped up the process. By the time I got over to the second badge... It was a breeze!!!  Most of the GooRemoval brands are similar.. So I got the big bottle.. But used very little by the time I was done. I soaked the goo and left it alone for 10-15 minutes... and repeated this if needed.

I noticed when I rubbed with my fingers... that I could really get the goo to bind up and roll.. BUT, eventually your fingers will hurt and a blister will be on the rise... So I thought for a moment... and the closest thing to skin was a REAL shamy (for drying off vehicles). I used a DRY and REAL shamy as if it was similar to the skin rubbing it and sure enough I was cruisin' through the goo... You'll know you're on the right track, cause you'll actually burn right through the shamy. (In the end, you're left with a shamy with holes). Advantage of the shamy, you can really just let it rip and go to town;

(If this were your fingers, you'd be down to the bone action is what I used. Speed and pressure).

If it seems too dry, re-apply Goo Gone etc. Let it set in for a few and continue. I didn't even try to rub it off with Goo Gone on the second badge, I just let it soak in and left the shamy to do the dirty work. Even if you use Goo Gone, accetone, paint removal, aircraft compound thinner... Your badge goo isn't going to jump right off the bike... So this method is for the after choice of your Goo thinner. And don't use paint removal or aircraft compound thinner unless you want a polished/chrome tank look ;).

The shamy doesn't scratch or dull etc.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Eraser wheels guys. Pull the badge off, use an eraser wheel as slow as you can turn it and apply a little rubbing compound. Takes seconds :p

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Windog said:
Since I got a big f^*k dent in the tank,and one badge removed from gravity,I took the other one off,and found that Acetone and a razor blade took the glue off in 12 minutes.You must use some fineness with the razor balde ,but works like a champ. :bigthumbsup:
i found wd-40 and a clean rag to work easy for me coupled with the hot sun. i'd be scared of the razor trick.

G

·
Wizard has the proper procedure, any of you new guys out there DO NOT TAKE A RAZOR BLADE TO THE PAINT!!!! :cop:  :cop:  :cop:

This paint is soft and will NOT hold up to a razor blade, I am not sure any paint would though.  I used a old credit card and it left marks in my paint that I had to buff out.  So BEWARE!!!!!

Wizard has the answer here.

GOO GONE and nothing else!

TAZ

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used goo gone to just remove the tank warning stickers and damaged the clear coat. Made it very dull and left swirl marks. I've waxed it and polished about a dozen times which took 90% of it out but I can still see if I look hard enough.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You must thinks Iam nuts,but I got a big dent in the tank,from fall over 1700 in damage.WTF I need a new tank,Plyers pull the badge of side it did not get smashed off,I use acetone to remove the glue from Kuryakyn grips,so it would work on this stuff.Fineness with the razor blade did the trick,what I got to lose.

·
Registered
450 Posts
No!!!!!!!!! :evil: Razor Hair dryer and for the glue Little fuel with oil mixture. Oil is for not allowing it to reattach itself again. Dude comes right off. Fuel tank and paint can handle fuel, thats what its for. Just clean up with a little soap and water. And reapply some good wax. Whala ur on your way :hot:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts