M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About bike rolling off stand.They have another,and agree with me it is a saftey problem,which could cause harm on someone if it fell  on them. Eleven motorcycles in 44 years and none of them did this.I caught it the first day in my garage,and said I will watch that for sure.Then I stop at a Chevron and put the stand down ,as soon as I go in the store a guy pointing,LOOK AT YOUR bike.Like another reported same thing.Dent in tank,ball removed from clutch lever,left front turn signal removed,and scratch on rear left fender. The tank is 773+tax :verymad:Suzuki scoff's at it and said insurance problem.I will file and hope others that this happen too will follow.These are the same people who made Honda take care of the frame cracking.

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
I would think that NITSA would be more concerned about safety issues that can happen when the bike is moving.  Maybe causing Death or serious injury.  I do think what happened to you sucks and feel for you.  The cracking frame issue is a huge safety issue when the bike is in motion.  I think that's why they had Honda correct that issue. I wish you good luck in getting this matter resolved.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've never had that problem with any of my bikes before. Did you leave it in neutral or something? How did that happen?

·
Registered
817 Posts
I cannot begin to tell you how many users from the Volusia site have registered complaints about this. More than 100 at least. I have to say, I was really shocked upon first seeing the bike and noticing that the problem wasn't really addressed (though the sidestand on the C50 is even worse). Good luck to you. Don't hold your breath.

(There is a mod to fix this which I described in another thread -- won't repeat it here)

My question is this -- how could you have dropped the bike and not even known it? Do you think someone tipped it over while it was parked, then picked it back up and didn't say anything? If so... DAMN. That's a set of brass ones right there. :eek:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I feel for your situation...but based on the angle of how the stand is when fully extended...I just don't see how it can topple...plus with all the wieght of 700 lbs bearing down on it....and the ground contact point on the stand is large compared to crotch rocket stands.

Did you have it extended out all the way ?

·
Registered
817 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
I feel for your situation...but based on the angle of how the stand is when fully extended...I just don't see how it can topple...
When parking it, there is sometimes enough slack in the drivetrain so that if it is pushed from the rear or rolls a little on an incline, it can come off the stand. I don't think it can just "fall over" without an outside force acting on it.

This is why you need to take up the slack manually when parking.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear about it.

Man, if you've ever worked with a Buell XB sidestand, you have probably had the crap scared out of you (HD style). After having that bike, now I am paranoid about the sidestand. Maybe already common knowledge but:
1. Always put sidestand down before getting off the bike, then depart from left.
2. Always turn handlebars to left. This creates a triangulated effect between bike motion forward and sidestand geometry. It forces them against each other for stability.
3. Always put in gear on any grade.

I'd bet you had the bars turned right to provide easy access to the gas filler, and that begs the bike to roll forward and off the sidestand if there is any grade at all, or if you bump it. Especially if it's not locked into position.

Oh, and lubricate that puppy too, so it'll snap into place easier.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Where it Became a safety issue with me is this. Sitting at home cleaning the bike. My 12 yearold daugter on the other side wiping bike also,( She likes helping me now bet that changes) I wipe a little harder than she does bike rolls forward and I get lucky enough to grab it before it goes over on her. But i wasnt aware of the problem then.
I am now it wont happen again I HOPE. Sorry for your luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Is it not common knowledge that ALL bikes will roll off the stand if parked improperly? Or maybe if you live somewhere flat these things don't happen. I live in upstate NY and some people even carry wheel chocks with them for parking. My first bike rolled off the sidestand 30 years ago and after that you learn. I don't see where it is a safety issue as much as an education one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
I feel for your situation...but based on the angle of how the stand is when fully extended...I just don't see how it can topple...plus with all the wieght of 700 lbs bearing down on it....and the ground contact point on the stand is large compared to crotch rocket stands.

Did you have it extended out all the way ?
I have to agree with you. I don't think it could ever topple with it out all the way. I have monkey'd around with mine when it's extended and can't get it to come even close to tipping. Even turning the steering while back and forth won't make it unstable.

·
Registered
363 Posts
same thing happened to in my garage ,i was able to catch it before it hit the ground

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wanted said:
I cannot begin to tell you how many users from the Volusia site have registered complaints about this. More than 100 at least. I have to say, I was really shocked upon first seeing the bike and noticing that the problem wasn't really addressed (though the sidestand on the C50 is even worse). Good luck to you. Don't hold your breath.

(There is a mod to fix this which I described in another thread -- won't repeat it here)

My question is this -- how could you have dropped the bike and not even known it? Do you think someone tipped it over while it was parked, then picked it back up and didn't say anything? If so... DAMN. That's a set of brass ones right there. :eek:
Wanted, this sounds like a pretty important mod. Could you dig up the link and request it get sent to the "How to, step by step" Tech/Tips child board? If you haven't noticed yet, useful info is getting routed to that forum for easy find and stuff you didn't know that you wanted to know :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
There are no real "steps". :)

Just take a Dremel or similar tool with a hardened grinding bit and either a) notch the kickstand where it meets the stop, or b) shave some material off the stop where the kickstand meets it. This will increase the angle at which the kickstand rests, thereby making it more difficult to push off the stand.

·
Registered
441 Posts
This is the first time i am hearing about this problem can any one tell me how this is happening because i own the M109r and also a C50. Is it because the stand is not fully extended or bars not turned at time of parking it or a defect with the stand's. This happen to my Suzuki TL1000R but i lowered the bike 3" and did not turn the handle bars and it went over. If anyone can tell us detailed info on this it would be appreciated. :eek:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
jn109r said:
This is also a common problem on the Hayabusa. I have learned to take up the slack and always park it in gear.
I can't imagine leaving my bike parked in anything other than 1st, but maybe that's just me. Now, I will on occassion slip it into neutral when I am working on it to test a few things...but I put it back in 1st when I'm done....and the only people around my bike in my garage is typically my wife & I.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts