M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding buddy got hit by a car about 10 to 12 weeks ago and has been healing a broken foot since. His bike was totaled. He has filed a lawsuit.
His doctor told him he could go back to work tomorrow. He was ready to go buy a new bike but his lawyer told him he could not be seen riding a bike until the lawsuit was settled. Something about the distress the wreck has caused him. Does that mean if he had been hit while driving a car that he could not drive until it is settled? I know nothing about this sort of thing but it just seems kind of strange to me??? Maybe one of you has had a similar experience and can explain it to me.

·
Registered
624 Posts
My riding buddy got hit by a car about 10 to 12 weeks ago and has been healing a broken foot since. His bike was totaled. He has filed a lawsuit.
His doctor told him he could go back to work tomorrow. He was ready to go buy a new bike but his lawyer told him he could not be seen riding a bike until the lawsuit was settled. Something about the distress the wreck has caused him. Does that mean if he had been hit while driving a car that he could not drive until it is settled? I know nothing about this sort of thing but it just seems kind of strange to me??? Maybe one of you has had a similar experience and can explain it to me.
Basically what his lawyer is saying is, if he walks into court telling the judge he has ridden bikes for years but since the accident he is scared of bikes now, and does not know if he will ever be able to get back on another bike BLA BLA BLA = more money.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Basically what his lawyer is saying is, if he walks into court telling the judge he has ridden bikes for years but since the accident he is scared of bikes now, and does not know if he will ever be able to get back on another bike BLA BLA BLA = more money.
:agree:If it wasn't for lawyers, we wouldn't need lawyers. Mother:edit:ers... All of them, none of them are exempt from my dislike.

I even hate mine! Phucking thief!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Lawyers

:agree:If it wasn't for lawyers, we wouldn't need lawyers. Mother:edit:ers... All of them, none of them are exempt from my dislike.

I even hate mine! Phucking thief!!
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
550 Posts
I agree with Bigeh... he wouldn't look too distressed after the accident if he's seen out there riding on another bike first day after being declared officially healed from his injuries...

If he wants the cash... he'll have to suck it up and not ride for awhile. I'm sure the insurance company has a PI that'll follow him around to make sure he's "distressed"...

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You should provably understand the function of a lawyer before you take issue with them.

If you trusted your life to everyone you had contact with and everyone that made a product you come in contact with and everyone who touched your money or..........

then we would not need lawyers.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You should provably understand the function of a lawyer before you take issue with them.

If you trusted your life to everyone you had contact with and everyone that made a product you come in contact with and everyone who touched your money or..........

then we would not need lawyers.
This is true!! but why should we then trust lawyer's to do the right thing by us any more than any one else then??

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
most lawyers suck.....we all know that.sorry if i offend any lawyers out there but you know who you are...............you suck.....my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
This is true!! but why should we then trust lawyer's to do the right thing by us any more than any one else then??
Because you need to trust someone. So, it might as well be someone who is highly regulated and bound by oath to act in your best interest and who could lose their license and livelyhood if they do not.

Remember that lawyers only act for their clients. It is more often the client who has the goal everyone dislikes, but the lawyer gets the crap because we make sure you take your best crack at your goal. You can't be mad at a lawyer for a personal injury case, his client is the one suing.

Also, keep in mind that our system is set up as an adversary system. Each side tries to spin everything in the light that is best for them and the courts are the ones who are supposed to find the fair middle ground. The problem is that people looking at one side think it is rediculous, but forget to look at the other side that is equaly rediculous in the opposite direction. The thing is, that is the point, but most people do not realize that.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My divorce lawyer cost me over 11 grand, and that was 7 years ago...I did all of the work and handed her the ammo (basically did squat but show up for hearings) ....every court appearance cost me over 1K, I was charged for gas, parking, mileage....in the end, it is the attorneys who make the deals, and get the money....

·
Registered
624 Posts
Because you need to trust someone. So, it might as well be someone who is highly regulated and bound by oath to act in your best interest and who could lose their license and livelyhood if they do not.

Remember that lawyers only act for their clients. It is more often the client who has the goal everyone dislikes, but the lawyer gets the crap because we make sure you take your best crack at your goal. You can't be mad at a lawyer for a personal injury case, his client is the one suing.

Also, keep in mind that our system is set up as an adversary system. Each side tries to spin everything in the light that is best for them and the courts are the ones who are supposed to find the fair middle ground. The problem is that people looking at one side think it is rediculous, but forget to look at the other side that is equaly rediculous in the opposite direction. The thing is, that is the point, but most people do not realize that.
Please do not take offence SR! but when it has been proven in the past that Judge's,lawyers,police and others of a high authority have been found to be bent and taken money for wrong reasons, i find it hard to trust anyone. My other take is you will have a lawyer stand up in court defending someone that has committed murder, molested a child, yes they being payed to defend their client and are "doing" the right thing by their client, but to me i can not trust that lawyer that is telling everyone their client is innocent when they know full well that their client is as guilty as hell. I know not all lawyers are like that, but i don't think you can put out a blanket statement that you can trust all lawyers because they are governed by a body to keep them honest!

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
My divorce lawyer cost me over 11 grand, and that was 7 years ago...I did all of the work and handed her the ammo (basically did squat but show up for hearings) ....every court appearance cost me over 1K, I was charged for gas, parking, mileage....in the end, it is the attorneys who make the deals, and get the money....
It is always best to try and work those things out amongst your selves and not even get lawyers involved. Just more money to split instead of pay. But there are times that you need a lawyer.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
One issue! If he goes through with the lawyers plans and stays off of bikes, the hearing comes and he wins---then decides to go out and get a new bike. If he is caught (video, seen, whatever) on a bike, he now can be counter sued for fraud by that persons insurance company. So he loses---no bike riding until hearing and then loses alot more money after. Just a thought for your buddy.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
One issue! If he goes through with the lawyers plans and stays off of bikes, the hearing comes and he wins---then decides to go out and get a new bike. If he is caught (video, seen, whatever) on a bike, he now can be counter sued for fraud by that persons insurance company. So he loses---no bike riding until hearing and then loses alot more money after. Just a thought for your buddy.
:agree: Don't over sue, get what you deserve and that makes it right and then enjoy your life.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Please do not take offence SR! but when it has been proven in the past that Judge's,lawyers,police and others of a high authority have been found to be bent and taken money for wrong reasons, i find it hard to trust anyone. My other take is you will have a lawyer stand up in court defending someone that has committed murder, molested a child, yes they being payed to defend their client and are "doing" the right thing by their client, but to me i can not trust that lawyer that is telling everyone their client is innocent when they know full well that their client is as guilty as hell. I know not all lawyers are like that, but i don't think you can put out a blanket statement that you can trust all lawyers because they are governed by a body to keep them honest!
I love that argument, and I mean no offense by this, but it is the weakest and worst argument.

If there were not a lawyer doing that job, that guy could not be convicted. Everyone is entitled to effective assistance of counsel. If you do not get it, you have ground for an appeal. So, thank the lawyer doing that job. I do it and I can tell you, I know why I am doing it and am doing my best. If he does not get convicted, that meant the peosecution dropped the ball. So, trust that guy the most;)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts