M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I get this request all the time and I am trying to set aside some time to start building my web site. I was just playing with it for a while tonight and post a few pictures. What information would you find helpful if you were going to paint your bike and what should I add. Please remember this was done in just a few minutes and certainly not the final site.

go to http://robertoakley.com/

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
great start, but i'm gonna +1 ppridgen.

Needs more POW! on the first page. A very hot rod, bad ass paint job, look. Wish I knew more about web design, I'd help you out. It's just about the only part of graphic design that I never got into. Maybe you could use a close-up of one of the paint jobs as the background? The Gallery link is what will sell your product, it needs to be very noticeable.

just my 2¢

·
Registered
721 Posts
My nickle....

Agree something else, maybe a close up, for the background on the main page.

Seems too..... refined ??
Just MHO, the background needs to be darker, more biker-ish.

Oh...... And hot chicks :D
You need several hot chicks on/around some bikes :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
+1 on the chicks...... Meta tags... visit SEOChat.com they have tips on how to design your webpage so it's "google" friendly.

The "how to place an order", try to shorten it to one line, left side links read better as one liners.

Change the top banner to a logo that reminds the read of a sweet paint Job, always remember people read from left to right so make the top left of your page eye candy to hook them!

I never see this but I would always love it if sites about paint and body would tell you how much the paint jobs they show you cost, that way I could know how many times I'll have to tell the lady she can't get her hair done before I'll be close to the sweeeet paint.

Your work looks great, with design skills like you show in your paint schemes, a nice lookin' website shouldn't take you too long.

Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
definitely need a java/flash intro. Something with some "pop" Also just a smoother more relaxed layout that represents your "style" :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hey VTXOAK,

Take a look at one of my concept store front websites.

http://buttrynet.dyndns.org/BBDWeb/default2.asp

This is just me playing around with ASP but it will give you an idea of what you can do.
My webserver is based on Windows IIS running ASP based code. It's rather simple to build and you can maintain it locally or have an ISP maintain it (better).

·
Registered
139 Posts
A minor suggestion is to avoid having to scroll across the width of the screen. Also in the pictures page, make all the photos the same size with a background other than white, to harsh. A softer pastel color will help to make the page easier to read.

Looks good.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Also add a technical info page so that people who havent read any of your posts know what products you use. With the products you use put down info on how you cure the paints and all that painter stuff that the info seekers will want to know.

Might show a link as well for awards and certificates etc to further enhance the Professional look.

More pics!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Here is a good book with lots of ideas regarding marketing your web site. Although some ideas won't apply most could be used. You should be able to get it either on-line or at Barnes and Noble.

The non-Designer's web book, by Robin Williams and John Tollett

If you are using Front Page there are lots of great web building sites with free how to's, just google a couple of FP sites.

Good luck

Only thing I see right off the bat is if your selling paint then show lots of pics that highlite your current customer pics. Shoots of sunsets or bikes in the distance that really don't show the paint are a waste of web space.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Okay, here is my 2 cent worth. I'm not an expert nor am I a web designer but a good friend of mine (who is a web designer) has used me for years to critique his sites.
I have developed web application for my employer which emphasis is on functionality not aesthetics.

1. Design for at least 800 X 600 or 1024 X 768 most monitors are set at these diminsions
2. Make you Banner full length across the top
3. The Navigation on the left. If you are going to have two lines for one link separate them with a line or image.
4. Images in the body section of the web make them uniformed size. Its better to have them mid to small in size so they will not distract from your message.
5. Don't use bold unless for titles, emphasis (eg.. Warning ). Bold paragraphs are harder to read.
6. Use pics sparingly to get you point across. To many pics and I will not read the material.
7. Minimize scrolling by not making your page to wide or long.
7. Give you customer's more than they need. Show your authority on by providing them meaningful information.
Example: You are a Professional Custom Painter, have a link for How to Care for Custom Paint.
8. Make sure if you use background images or colors that they don't clash with the text making it hard to read.
9. Always have someone who is not familiar with your site test it out. They will show you if you site is hard to navigate.
10. Each page should have a link to the Home page.
11. Got to as many sites as you can and find features you like and incorporate them in your site if it is useful. Goggle Custom Paint and see what others are offering or not offering.

I hope this helps you in designing your page. I'm not sure what application you are using to build your sites but Dreamweaver is excellent, how ever the latest version of Frontpage are okay. It looks like you are off to a good start.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I think everything you have painted should be on there. Maybe some people could get good ideas on other items you painted. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
315 Posts
I will be difficult to show the true quality of your work on the web. Pics may not be large enough to show true quaility (loss pixel), users pc may not have quality monitor or graphic card, and if you are not a photographer getting the good lighting to show your work can be difficult.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Well I am better at finding grammatical errors and spelling errors. I used to edit my companies newsletter. On your home page you say:
Why wait when getting that custom paint scheme you have been dreaming about is only a click away.
This doesn't make sense. A better way to say the same thing is:
What are you waiting for? The custom paint scheme you have been dreaming about is only a mouse click away.
Also, there's a big difference between the words "to" and "too". You have Life is to short to drive around on a stock factory painted bike!
It should say Life is too short to drive around on a stock factory painted bike! The word "too" is one of the most commonly misspelled words used. "I had too much to eat". I see it on these forums all the time. As well as "rode" and "road" (I rode down the road) and "brake" and "break" as in "I needed to take a break" and "I entered the turn too fast and I tried to brake hard".
As for the link on the left that says "how to place your order" how about just "How to order"? That will make it just one line instead of two.

That's your english lesson for the day. (NOT "you're" English lesson!) LOL! :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Id say also request that your customers IF possible send you some pics of the finished bike once its reassembled so that the flow of the finished scheme is locked in.

Im a very unartistic need visual person and anyone like me has a hardtime with seeing just images i like to see the whole enchilada, it helps me alot that way.

Mike

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
fyrmanjam said:
definitely need a java/flash intro. Something with some "pop" Also just a smoother more relaxed layout that represents your "style" :bigthumbsup:
First thing I do on ANY website that has a java/flash intro...is look for the "skip intro" link. I'll check out the site and post comments/suggestions tonight.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
My own cent and a half is unless you are an experienced web designer, just pay somebody else to make one for you. It will be a good investment in the long run, and will make your page look much more professional.

G

·
vtxoak said:
OK I get this request all the time and I am trying to set aside some time to start building my web site. I was just playing with it for a while tonight and post a few pictures. What information would you find helpful if you were going to paint your bike and what should I add. Please remember this was done in just a few minutes and certainly not the final site.

go to http://robertoakley.com/
You are off to a wonderful start. I use a mac so my personal website is a snap www.alanwhite123.com I really like yours, great work

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback and suggestions. Now I just need to find some time to sit down and put it together right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts