M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title suggests i am short. i have been driving myself crazy reading this forum and am wondering what is the best way to bring the handlebars closer to me... so i dont feel like i am reaching so much. T barely touching the ground things is only an issue on reversing but i figure that can be rectified with lowering links. any help is much appreciated. either in direct to a good write up on here or just spamming me with info. thanks in advance

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
All the aftermarket risers bring the bars closer to you. They might say 2" risers, but keep in mind this is not all back. Take a tape measure and hold it in alignment with you current risers and see where 2" added to that would bring the bars. So part of the 2" is up and most of it is back. You can also rotate your bars up a little to help. Other than that you are looking at replacing the bars and risers with something totally different, like mini apes.

You can also change the seat to move you a little more forward. The Ultimate seat has a thick back on it and moves you forward and inch or two. Or if you can find the Suzuki standard cut gel seat it also moves you forward at least 1". Don't get the full cut gel, it actually moves you back.

I have the 2" risers on mine and the full cut gel and have rotated the bars and it's pretty comfortable. I'm only about 5'9" on a good day, most others I'm more like 5'8". :)

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
as the title suggests i am short. i have been driving myself crazy reading this forum and am wondering what is the best way to bring the handlebars closer to me... so i dont feel like i am reaching so much. T barely touching the ground things is only an issue on reversing but i figure that can be rectified with lowering links. any help is much appreciated. either in direct to a good write up on here or just spamming me with info. thanks in advance
First of all, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!:)(y):) Secondly, CONGRATULATIONS ON BECOMING AN M109R OWNER.:)(y)(y):) As for your shortness issue, welcome to the family. I too, am a bit vertically challenged. However, I prefer the slight lean forward on my M109Rs. Nevertheless, there are a few remedies to the issues you stated you are having, and would like to rectify. To have the handle bars pulled/positioned closer to you, you and either add a set of +2" Riser Adapters, or add a set of aftermarket +2" Risers, or completely swap out your handle bars with a set that has the +2", +3", or even +4" pullback already factored into the manner in which they are manufactured. You'll have to do some extensive searching to find them, as they are not as plentiful now, as they were just a few years back. The least expensive method of reaching your objective regarding the pullback on your handle bars would be to simply add a set of +2" Riser Adapters. You can purchase them at www.meancycles.com. They work great. The one thing you'll need to do with any +2" pullback method is to re-route your cables and lines from in front of the Risers and Upper Triple Tree, to underneath them, so as to provide the required relief of tensions put on them, due to the addition of the +2" Riser Adapters, or any other method of adding +2" to the pullback of your handle bars. Many members here have had to do that very thing. In fact, I have a 2014 LE model that has the cables and lines re-routed in the same manner I just spoke of, because when I purchased the bike from the 1st and only owner of the bike, he had already installed the +2" Riser Adapters, and re-routed the cables and lines. I have since removed the +2" Riser Adapters, sold them to another member here, and I'm inn the process of returning my handle bars to the stock position, and rotating them downward a bit, to meet my desired riding position and style. As for the lowering the ride height of your M109R, my recommendation is to install 2' Lowering Links (Yana Shiki has a true 2" drop set of Lowering Links they offer, and sell on eBay at a very reasonable cost). Once you add the 2" Lowering Links, you will also need to prevent the two rear fender bolts from gouging your rear tire. This can be done by either cutting the bolts down, so they don't protrude past the open hole for that screw, or you can add some washers to the top side of the bolt, to prevent the bottom of the bolt from protruding past the open of the bolt hole. Lastly, you will need to adjust your Rear Shock to a stiffer setting, to prevent any possible bottoming out, and rubbing on the inside of the rear fender...that's very dangerous.

Bobby

·
Registered
485 Posts
I was in he same position. Years ago i got the 2" riser extensions and re-routed my cables. I have neck problems and it still wasnt enough, so just a month ago, i ordered another set of 2" risers and added them to the 2" i already had..doubled them and bought some longer bolts at a bolt warehouse. i also had to buy +4" cables. it helped a lot! I would still like another 2 inches but this will do.I also got the ultimate seat which moves you forward an inch. i am 6 foot tall but cant lean forward at all because of my neck and this has me sitting straight up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts