M109 Rider Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode to work this morning. I have about a 15 mile ride on a major toll road that brings me about a mile from the office. At the exit ramp there is a one lane unmanned toll booth with the toll booth on the left and a guard rail on the right so that all exiting traffic has to pass thru the one lane. And its a narrow lane.

I pull up to the booth and pull out my 50 cents and start to drop it in the basket. At that moment a white BMW SUV passes me on the right, missing me by inches and I see a hand holding up the Sunpass.

So now I am fired up and the BMW is starting to realize that I am not happy as they start going real fast. I pulled up next to the car while we were going down a side street and it was a female driver. I continue following her and pull into a warehouse complex and she parks. She runs into the warehouse and wouldn't look at me. A mid-teens kid gets out of the car and says "You need to leave".

I don't know what else to say. All she had to say was "I am sorry".

·
Registered
253 Posts
Glad everything turned out well for you but if that happened to me there would be a size 12 boot ding in that beemers door

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not validating what she did in any way, but you probably scared the living Sh*t out of her by following her to the warehouse.  From her perspective, she may have been in danger and gotten away from the situation the only way she felt she could??

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hal, thank goodness you're safe. I'm older than you and I just sit here stunned at how times have changed. That scenario would never have happened when I was growing up. What in the hell has happened to us.

LG

·
Registered
752 Posts
Problem is no matter what Hal did she probably won't change. Even if she had hit and killed him she probably would have retained the same driving habits.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The problem with these situations, is if she called the police, she MIGHT get a ticket for an illegal pass at the toll booth. Unfourtunately you could be perceived as a road rage stalker, and get hauled downtown... The Police in most cities are cracking down on the road rage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The root of the big picture is that to the average cager, everyone on a cycle is some master species they saw riding wheelies, darting traffic or saw the video of the guy on the Goldwing that they have to navigate around while multitasking with a cellphone in their hand. Much like skateboarders. They don't think we vunerable. They actually don't mean anything by their ignorance.

Looking like badasses on our 109's don't help matters.

·
Registered
849 Posts
There is really nothing I can say to express how I feel. I'm glad you're okay.
I've run down several of these ignorant drivers over my 60 plus years of driving, normally acting on sheer adrenaline and a need to regain some control of what happens to me on the road. I'm sure I've scared the Sh** out of several of them because of their Hell's Angel type stereotyping of motorcyclists as ravaging madmen. Still, I've probably done little or nothing to improve their driving skills.
I like to think my efforts to educate them and my gesturing screaming, and other manifestations of righteous anger have at least temporarily made them more aware of vulnerable bikers.
Again, I'm so glad she missed you at the booth,, and didn't complicate matters worse by trying to injure you in your pursuit. Your story elicits too many bad memories.
Jer

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hal~ Did you get her liscense number?? I'd call it in to the local PD maybe if nothing else they'll call her and make her think about what she did. Maybe there is a toll booth camera that would have caught this to prove your case. :eek:

·
Registered
181 Posts
L-Train said:
By leaving a mid teens kid to deal with a grown man?
That kid should have run too.
Again, not saying that what she did was right or leaving the kid was cool.

But, if someone is following my girlfriend (bike or car) I hope she would go to a police station or public area.

How was the female driver to know Hals intent?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hal, glad you're okay! As suggested, I would have just gotten her tag and reported her (not that anything would have likely happened). I would never run down an idiot like this because there are just too many of them - I'm always afraid if they were stupid enough to do what originally p*ssed me off, who knows what they may try to do next - slam on their brakes, try to run me off the road - who knows! While I would like to drag them out of their tank, I have to remind myself their on four wheels and I'm only on two!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Investor said:
Hal, glad you're okay! As suggested, I would have just gotten her tag and reported her (not that anything would have likely happened). I would never run down an idiot like this because there are just too many of them - I'm always afraid if they were stupid enough to do what originally p*ssed me off, who knows what they may try to do next - slam on their brakes, try to run me off the road - who knows! While I would like to drag them out of their tank, I have to remind myself their on four wheels and I'm only on two!Â
The question is (and maybe some of the police officers on here can answer this) if reported, will the police do anything at all? Would they even bother to call the driver or contact them in anyway where nothing is substantiated? My guess is that the person that answers the phone will scribble down the license plate number while you are on the phone and tell you "we will look into it", then proceed to trash that Post It note after hanging up the phone.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
J R said:
it would freak somebody out enough just getting a card from someone they don't know other than the biker they ran off the road :evil: Not that you would ever do anything but that person would have to think hey this person has my address ect.who are they what are they gonna do.Might make um think next time they drive around motorcycles. Just even to send a friendly card asking to please watch out for bikers.  :bigthumbsup: Â

Â
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. Just kill em with kindness!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.