M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hit a deer back on June 21st. Bike was in shop until I picked it up last Saturday, July 22nd. Rainy next few days. I decide to ride to work yesterday morning, 4:30AM. First good ride since I got her back. I was nervous to say the least.

About 15 miles from my house, doesn't a deer run right out in front of me!! I panic grabbed the brakes, got slightly sideways, but no contact with deer this time. On the way home from work, I took a picture of the skid marks. Looking at the picture, I was heading towards the camera. Had to check my pants when I got to work for skid marks too!!

I am not making this up, I swear! Starting to wonder if I should sell this bike?

Ride Safe, Rob

·
Registered
572 Posts
Why sell her? THIS time you actually avoided the deer, now that you know how great the brakes work :)

Sounds like time to update to a LOUDER set of pipes, to warn them does that you are COMING AT THEM :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RKP000 said:
So I hit a deer back on June 21st. Bike was in shop until I picked it up last Saturday, July 22nd. Rainy next few days. I decide to ride to work yesterday morning, 4:30AM. First good ride since I got her back. I was nervous to say the least.

About 15 miles from my house, doesn't a deer run right out in front of me!! I panic grabbed the brakes, got slightly sideways, but no contact with deer this time. On the way home from work, I took a picture of the skid marks. Looking at the picture, I was heading towards the camera. Had to check my pants when I got to work for skid marks too!!

I am not making this up, I swear! Starting to wonder if I should sell this bike?

Ride Safe, Rob
stories like these are why I ride slower than I used to ... except on the boulevard ahem when the little kids with their crap cars and big pipes are buzzing around trying to be all that haha

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is my fear coming home at night. Lot of deer around my neighborhood, especially in fall.

All you can do is stay alert and be prepared.

Stay safe, all.

Mike

·
Registered
292 Posts
Man that's some scary sh-t . I would be a little concerned myself if that happened to me. 4:30am is to early for me. Was the first deer that same time of day? I would still keep my 109 though :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The first deer I hit and killed was at 4:45AM, just a mile from where I work. I go in early so I can try to leave early, but it rarely works out that way.

Cop did tell me that the deer population is way up in my area (upstate NY) this year. He said they can gauge the population based on the number of vehicle/deer hits.

I think I will go for a set of straight pipes!

Rob

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like your go to work time is right in the middle of DEER RUSH HOUR in your area. Glad you kept the rubber side down and spared the life of another unsuspecting commuter deer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
We have lots of deer in my area as well, they come through my property every night. I don't do to much night riding, and can't remember ever doing anything at 4:30am ... Well maybe something!!! Good luck and watch out for that (third) deer :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I feel for ya!! I haven't made contact with any deer yet (on the bike) but have hit 2 with the car in the last 3-4 months. It has gotten me a little skittish when riding the bike at night. Two nights ago I was on my way home from work and I'm about 5 miles into my 55 mi commute and its about midnight and a deer jumps right out in front of me and I have to lock the brakes up! Very good brakes by the way. Then I'm about 3 miles from home and another one decides to try and cross my path!! Lock em up again and thankfully keep the bike up both times, but 2 close calls!! I need deer radar on my bike with deer seaking missiles!! :eek:

·
Registered
379 Posts
PKP, You've been very unlucky. I've been riding for 30 years and only two mishaps. (knock on wood). I think with you the word pre-disastered comes into play. Be cool dude and ride smart. Your problems may be over. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
360 Posts
One would think they would have a better way to judge the increase in deer population . their current way sucks .

·
Registered
88 Posts
Consider yourself lucky, I hit a deer on my old zx-11. Destroyed the bike in what the Sheriff coming the other direction would say "looked like i hit a land mine". I hit it right between the head and body in the neck area. Tore the head almost off with the front tire. All I had was a sprained left arm, two cracked ribs, sprained ankle, and a lot of blood that was not my own. Near as I can figure beofre I hit the deer I pulled the front wheel up and hit him with it in the air. Guess that saved me, and the cracked helmet too. :eek:
Lesson learned, if I even see wildlife anywhere near the road I'm slowing down! :duck:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Sorry bud, but I call BS.  I'm not real sure why you are trying to sell these marks as your skid marks but I'm not buying.  I've seen way too many skid marks in my 9 years as a paramedic, and I can tell you that those did not come from you making a panic stop.  That long mark starts at a completely different angle than the shorter mark.  There is no way that your front tire caused that long mark.  The short mark shows no evidence of the rear tire gettin sideways.  The long mark can't be from the rear tire because the tread pattern on the tire does not match the tread pattern in the road, which has a four vertical groove pattern (unless you're running a car tire on the rear).  Heck, that pattern doesn't even match up with the front tire, which if it did come from the front, you would have laid the bike down as crooked as it is.  If the short mark was in fact a skid mark, it shows that the rear tire stayed dead straight, so if the front locked up, it would also be in line with the rear mark.  The rear mark also has the look of a burnout instead of a skid mark.  If you look, it's way too dark at the rear part of it, indicating that the tire was held in that spot during a burnout and then allowed to move forward.  Another point is, the long mark is exactly the same width as the short mark, which is obviously not the case for the 109.  Yep, I gotta call BS.  Like I said, I'm not real sure why you would try to pass these off as yours, but since you are, I'm gonna call you on it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow, I agree with Medic.... those marks should be different sizes alright, as the tires are way different... and that tread mark doesn't look anything like the 109's tire, stock or replaced... assuming you have stock as your selling her so soon...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with the louder pipes!! I've got the Cobra longs and the Harley owners around here are pluggin their ears when I drive by!! LOUD PIPES DO SAVE LIVES!!! And you look cooler with them!! LOL!!! Ride safe all!!-HELL :evil:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts