M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife finally told me that after seeing me shop and drool over modding my 9 she wanted a bike of her own.Looks like she is going to get the new m-50.I got my new tank in to complete my new body set,was going to do another paint job so I could change the look of bike when I wanted.Well I was going to paint it until the wife brought in her paint schemes for her new arrival.lol...looks like the new arrival will hit paint shop before it comes home.Guess what I wanted to ask is how is to ride with your significant other.any worries or rewards????????????????????

·
Registered
300 Posts
i think it would be awesome yet at the same time i would constantly be worried! (at this time i am even trying to teach her to ride)

·
Registered
372 Posts
My wife always rides her own. Rode on the back of my first bike once and told me the next time she gets on a bike it would be her own. I love it because it truly is a common interest vice the rider/ passenger thing. She could care less about modding. All she cares about is that the bikes starts and she is ready to go. I do worry alot and she hasnt ben riding quite as long as me so it does hold me back quite a bit, but I guess that saves me tickets. Plus when I do get out on my own it is that much more enjoyable to let her rip.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My wife wanted to try it. I went and got a Honda rebel naturedly. and when I was out of town she jumped on it and went down the drive way started coming back into the garage stalled it. Then when she took off and dumped the clutch it lerched into the garage, ran into the race car and layed it down hurting her finger. Needless to say it was sold the next day. At least she did not get hurt bad. My new Gel back seat is ordered and the new fat back pegs came in today.:congrats: To you guy's that have a wife that is not afraid to ride,
Ride Safe Bros and Gals
Dam Guy

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Guess what I wanted to ask is how is to ride with your significant other.any worries or rewards.
Do serious girlfriends count? My ex-wife could take it or leave it. She rode on the back of mine a few times and it didn't really interest her much.

My girlfriend is a completely different story. See for yourself http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130283

She's been riding for about 5yrs and is a great & safe rider & we ALWAYS have a good time riding together.

I love it because it truly is a common interest vice the rider/ passenger thing.
:agree::agree::agree:

If you have a wife interested in riding and she truly likes it, have her take the MSF course and start her on the path to riding. If you get along good and your buddies as well as marriage mates is will be a blast. If she's naggy, needy & all about drama, run in the other direction and ride by yourself. :doorag:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
mine rides the wheels off of her bike. sometimes she is pushing me through the corners. i think she might be a little more excited about going to the meet than i am. i am a lucky man!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
My wife is in her 3rd year of riding:doorag: and it is awesome. Always have a riding partner as she loves to ride. She does scare the heck out of me sometimes as she can be a little overaggressive in traffic. But my buddies can't believe how much fun we have and all of them wish their wives rode. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones also. Also, gotta agree with GeorgiaRoller on the MSF course. Great investment, and I took the course with my wife and learned a few things myself. Good luck to you and your wife.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a '07 M50 Limited with 1100 miles on it and a backrest, and driver / passenger footboards, for sale. I am about to put it on craigslist. Just thought I would mention it. Runs great.

PM if you want details or might be interested. I live close to Abilene, TX, and can arrange for delivery.

Lol. Shameless Plug!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,878 Posts
My wife rides her own. It's nice to have a riding buddy that's not on the bike with you. She has a 2006 S50 that we bough in November 2008 and she's put almost 7,000 miles on it.

The best thing we did was get a set of communicators. We bought the Scala Q2 Multisets last year and it's great being able to point out things along the ride, planning stops, telling each other about road hazards, etc. I'd have a hard time riding without them now.

There is some worry involved in it, but she's a good rider and we watch out for each other. Plus she has saddlebags on her bike so she can carry the extra jackets, gloves, drinks, etc. :D

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
I asked my wife tonite what she thought about having her own bike.

I was answered with a loud "HELL NO!" and that she feels safer behind me because all she has to do for control is SQUEEZE the family jewels....

Anybody have a nice used sidecar that fits the 9 for sale on the cheap?:joke:

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Sandy, my wife, rides a blue 2006 M50. It has half the mileage my 9 has, but at least it gets ridden somewhat regularly.

I rode it to work today.:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi guys my wife is the reason for my 9 she loves the bikes but gets to sore afther her knee surgery so i got the 9 for comfort. My mates ride sports and some ride harleys but i can not ride that slow through corners and my wife hates going slow. I've got her a bike just got to teach her how to ride but love having her on the back off both bike. The problem i have is she falls asleep at high speed on the blackbird and even quicker on the 9.:dontknow: But loves it.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
thanks

thanks brotha, she is a good one

That's awesome bro! I like your wifes bike. Looks like a pretty sick womans ride. The pink rim stripes & custom air cover are nice touches. I can tell she has some style & attitude. I like it! :bigthumbsup: Looks like you got yourself a good one.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Since my hubby is banned and can't post here, LOL, I'll share some of our experiences as we learned to ride together over the years! When I first got my own bike, he used to worry constantly, and always focused as much (or more) in his rear view mirror as he did on the road.

He also used to criticize every little thing I did, that could have potentially been dangerous. For example, we've ALL drifted toward the line (whether it be the center line or the shoulder line) at one time or another, or cut a turn a little too sharp. That doesn't make anyone a bad rider...sometimes we just get lazy, other times we're enjoying the scenery a little too much. Point is, EVERYONE does it, and if you deny it, you're a liar, LOL! But, he'd harp on every little thing I did "wrong" and almost ruined the riding experience for me...I'm sure it was ruining his experience, as well, because he was so focused on worrying about me, that he couldn't enjoy himself! I realize he did it because he loves me and cares about my safety, however, it was counter-productive to the cause. :confused:

Something happened the next riding season; not sure if one of our friends told him to lay off, or if he figured it out on his own, but he stopped being so critical and realized that I'm a good rider and know what I'm doing...after all, HE taught me, and taught me well. ;)

Nowadays, (after 17 years of riding experience) he knows and trusts me 100% and doesn't worry about me any more than I worry about him...and that has no reflection on our riding abilities...it has everything to do with the other people on the road who put us in danger. But, we are both smart riders and do everything we can to avoid accidents...the rest is in the hands of the Man upstairs. :bigthumbsup:

So, my advice to you (as the wife who rides) is, make sure you teach your wife all the important safety tactics about riding (give her the dos and don'ts), but do it with love and patience, while she is learning. And, after you've taught her everything she needs to know...LET HER RIDE and learn the rest for herself. There's nothing more valuable than logging in your own time, with just you, your bike and the road. The more seat time she gets, the more confident she will become, and that will make a better rider out of her! :doorag:

And, like Zoom already suggested, having a communications system is very helpful in keeping BOTH of you safe. 4 eyes on the road are better than 2, any time! :bigthumbsup: I hope you and your wife enjoy riding together as much as Harris & I do! :congrats:

·
Registered
960 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts