M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm polishing my rims and looking to do the drive hub as well. Does the sucker just come right off? Or will the oil drain out? Thanks from the mechanically impaired :joke:

·
Registered
924 Posts
No the drive shaft comes out with the final drive. the hardest part is lineing the shaft up with the swivel nuckel at the engine when you put it back together.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
No the drive shaft comes out with the final drive. the hardest part is lineing the shaft up with the swivel nuckel at the engine when you put it back together.
Interesting, how does it separate from the final drive? I wonder why they made it like that. On my Sabre, it's splined at the final and it slides right off. Shaft stays on the bike

·
Registered
924 Posts
Interesting, how does it separate from the final drive? I wonder why they made it like that. On my Sabre, it's splined at the final and it slides right off. Shaft stays on the bike
I have never needed to remove the shaft from the final drive. I do know if ya take apart your final drive it will void your warrenty. That is probably why I never tinkered with it.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've had mine apart a few times and it's a PITA to get it lined back up with the secondary drive. I've had to take the secondary loose from the bike just to get the drive shaft lined back up. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds but it's still a PITA.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've had mine apart a few times and it's a PITA to get it lined back up with the secondary drive. I've had to take the secondary loose from the bike just to get the drive shaft lined back up. It's not nearly as hard as it sounds but it's still a PITA.
If you take the secondary drive off, it makes it really easy to get back together, sort of.......it is one of those things that if you hold your tongue just right it will fall into place. The secondary is easy to take off. Take the speed sensor off and 4 bolts and it slides right off. You will loose about a pint of oil.

The other option is to unbolt the swing arm, it will drop down just enough to give you enough room to get the u-joint back on the shaft and all back together.

Bigpapa109 has some great tips as well, shoot him a message.

Good luck,
Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
WAIT! WHAT?!

Ok look, just unbolt the hub and slide out the shaft with it. Once you get it out look on top of the hub, their will be a small pin hole. Take a tooth pic and stick it in the hole to keep the gear oil from leaking out. Then cut the tooth pic off a 1/4 of an inch. above the hole so you can pull it out later. Now, you are going to have a hard time polishing that hub with the drive shaft on it so, what you need to do is look where the drive shaft meets the hub. Just inside the hub is a C clip and to get it out you need to push the shaft back into the hub to relieve the pressure off of the C clip and use a heavy set of angle head C clip pliers to get it out. Then the shaft will come out with a big spring. Then polish your hub and reinstall the shaft in the reverse order. Now to line up the splines in the sec. drive. This not that hard, you just need a Lil patience. Pull off the chrome cover over the sec. drive. There you will see a black rubber boot. pull it back. that will give you access to rotate the shaft an line up the splines while sliding the hub and the shaft back into place. Bolt up your hub and don't forget to pull the tooth pic out when you are done.:bigthumbsup: I know it sounds like a lot but theres realy not that much to it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok i got my 109 on my birthday and I only rode it 4 miles I picked it up from the stealership in late October and I already chormed I'm going to polish my hub myself thanks to the knowledge from the people on this site I can see I'm gonna save a lot of money by doing the mods myself. Now back to the hub, think I'll be able to remove the hub but after polishing should I apply a coat of clear coat on it? And if anyone have pics on the removal could you post them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sure you can clear coat it. But if you get a scratch and brake the seal of the clear coat it will eventually erode and you'll have to start all over. As far as pics. click on the link above from Bigpapa.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts