M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read all the how to polish threads. i used paint removal in can from advanced auto, let set for about 15 minutes, then used steel wool course grade 3 for paint removal and i got this. i never used any sand paper. i then used a 6 inch buffer/polisher with some old chrome polish. i can see my reflection but is not mirror or chrome like. so what is my next step. rouge maybe? i also bought mothers billet but haven't used it yet. View attachment 18541

·
Radio Active Member
27,655 Posts
Hope to see you on some local ride and at the big meet in June.

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
a mother's powercone can quickly become your best friend for in-between maintenance polishes. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
22,690 Posts
You need to do some sanding on it before you polish it with rouge. I can see fine scratches from the steel wool and it won't polish up right until those are gone. Start with 800 or 1000 grit and work up to 1500 then 2000. Use wet/dry paper and wet it, keeping the paper nice and clean. I usually keep a bucket of soapy water nearby and dip the paper in that, then rinse it good.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
OK, I just did this hub polishing Yesterday:

Here are the steps I used:
1) Aircraft stripper
2) 400 Grit Sandpaper (wetsanded in swirl motion to remove directional scratches)
3) A quick once over with 600 grit (wetsanded)
4) Black Emery on a 6" Sisal wheel
Cleaned any black residue off with mothers aluminum polish
5) White diamond on a 6" reinforced yellow buffing wheel.
Cleaned any residue off with mothers aluminum polish.
6) Done!

PS- I used a 10,000 rpm hand grinder with a special extension arm that is designed for polishing buffs. I removed all the stuff including the metal hood on the grinder and screwed on the shaft which holds the buff.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Where are you guys buying the rouge frome? I've checked the auto part stores body shop suppliers ect and can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use variable speed detail sander from Harbor Freight with 500 grit up to 2000 grit. Then I use 2000 grit by hand with a dab of aluminum polish...until it becomes very bright. I then polish with aluminum polish and polishing cloth until mirrored finish. Must use a polishing cloth designed for polishing....otherwise it will leave a haze from scratching. Took me about one day for entire process...

·
Radio Active Member
22,690 Posts
I get my buffing wheels and rouges from Eastwood.

http://www.eastwood.com/

Lowe's also carries small sticks of the rouge. It's on the back wall on the end of a rack near where they have drill bits and things like that.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You need to do some sanding on it before you polish it with rouge. I can see fine scratches from the steel wool and it won't polish up right until those are gone. Start with 800 or 1000 grit and work up to 1500 then 2000. Use wet/dry paper and wet it, keeping the paper nice and clean. I usually keep a bucket of soapy water nearby and dip the paper in that, then rinse it good.
:agree:Lots of sanding, and you'll have a much better finish.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Polished Rims

Hey those are slamm'n !!!!! Do you have any additional pics... outstanding job on those rims................:agree: you got skills...!!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I took longer to tape everything off than it did to polish it.
1.Paint remover
2.Removed it with fine steel wool.
3. 600,800,1000 wet paper.
4.Mothers alum polish.Buff wheel.
Mirror finish 30 min.
It is one of the easiest sections to polish.
Good luck Bro
Dam Guy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
ill tell you a secret that the other guys forgot to mention.... F that stupid polishing, send it to liquidpain!!!! save your arms and hands for more important work. he polishes them alot better than youll ever get it done, or better yet just go chrome like me for a little more $$$$$ and forget the maintenance of a polished hub. 8 hours of my life ill never get back, took at least a week to re-grow :edit:fingerprints and get rid of the cramps and i was still never satisfied. add up the time your gonna spend doing this and youve more than paid for jerry to do it for you :nojoke:.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts