M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, everybody.

My head tells me to buy a VTX ... but my heart tells me to buy an M1800 (in the UK).

In this crowded little island, particularly in the south where I live, the roads are very busy. Commuting to work on my bike I grin as I pass the queues of traffic or filter between the lanes of trafic. But is the M1800 too wide to let me do that? Could somebody please tell me the width of the bike at its widest point. I guess that would be across the bars?

In the same vein, there are not that many straight or gently bending roads where you can let rip without other road users getting in the way. To have fun you have to be able to get round the corners. I regularly drag the floorboards on my current bike and find that a real limitation. Before somebody suggests I get a sports bike ... they lack style and everbody else (here) has one (don't you think they all look the same when they're lined up together?).

Thanks for your help.

Regards
BikerDad

·
Registered
154 Posts
Maybe a Warrior would fit your needs better.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It's a pretty big bike and with the wide rear tire you do have to lean over pretty far in the corners. Just with the amount of real estate you have there it would lean a little less with a smaller tire.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Cmon guys, the 109 is no wider than most cruisers.
My C90 was tight between the trucks. The 109 fits through no problem.
I also feel the 109 turns better because of the excellent balance.

If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a sport bike.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Delmustator said:
Cmon guys, the 109 is no wider than most cruisers.
My C90 was tight between the trucks. The 109 fits through no problem.
I also feel the 109 turns better because of the excellent balance.

If I didn't know better, I'd think it was a sport bike.
It weighs the same as a sportbike, with a 300lb passenger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't you dare buy the M1800R

I want to be the only one on this tiny island with one! Only kidding.

I have never seen another M1800R on the road, it is great to feel exclusive.

I took my bike to the local Harley sdealer last weekend - they all came out to have a look. Didn't recieve any bad comments.

By the way I commute 65 miles down the A3 most days - cars get out of your way to see what sort of bike has just appeared in their mirror.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This bike is a little wider than a lot of bikes, but it handles exceptionally well even at low speeds. Probably because of the low center of gravity. Just yesterday I was riding between stopped traffic and came to a spot that wasn't wide enough (car was too far to the right). I just cut into the space between that car and the car behind it and went on the left side, then right away went in between that same car and the one in front back over to the right. All without even taking my feet off of the pegs. I even amazed myself.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you looked at the Suzuki V-Strom? My hubby has the DL1000 and loves it for all the reasons you're concerned about and then some: handles like a sport bike, comfy like a touring bike, sits high for good visability, great fuel economy and with the Givi case on back - great storage room.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/DL1000K6/Default.aspxÂ

Down sides are the seat height...31" I believe (my hubby is 5'9" and can barely flat foot it) and it looks 'rugged' - not classic. But it's an amazingly versatile bike. Worth checking out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Joshua_109 said:
Good luck with your decision. How readily available are these bikes over there?? How long of a wait would you have??
British Bulldog said:
Don't you dare buy the M1800R

I want to be the only one on this tiny island with one! Only kidding.

I have never seen another M1800R on the road, it is great to feel exclusive.

I took my bike to the local Harley sdealer last weekend - they all came out to have a look. Didn't recieve any bad comments.

By the way I commute 65 miles down the A3 most days - cars get out of your way to see what sort of bike has just appeared in their mirror.
Suzuki UK imported only 40 of these bikes for 2006. I believe I may have tracked down the last one that's available for sale. It's black. The black ones go faster, don't they? Dealers tell me that Suzuki will not be importing any more until 2007 (June?). British Bulldog truely does have an exclusive ride .... for the moment.

Many thanks to everybody for the helpful input and suggestions. You'll guess from the above that my heart has won.Â

The dealer that has one doesn't have it in their showroom so I'd have to buy it without having seen one. They're a large reputable dealer so I'll trust them to some extent. Hoping that British Bulldog might agree to meet up so I can see his bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts