M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Well I ask this question cause I have a buddy at work that tells me my 9 is all look no go. He rides a gsxr750 and has challenged me as soon as I get my bike put together(have parts getting powder coated). And I also have a buddy that couldn't keep up with his harley on a ride ,so he now wants to take out his r1. I know the 9 is a beast and I'm still breaking her in. With that said I haven't had the chance to let her loose. I do have scorpion tips and soon an FI2000R and possibly an intake. So, how well does a 9 do against a crotch rocket? Anyone have any experiences? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
913 Posts
You will beat a 600, you will hang with 750's for awhile, but they will start to pull on you in higher gears, no chance against a liter bike. I would say that if you street race, two telephone poles or so, you might beat your friend with the 750, after that he will pull on you. You should spank just about any harley.

Have fun

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Hi everyone. Well I ask this question cause I have a buddy at work that tells me my 9 is all look no go. He rides a gsxr750 and has challenged me as soon as I get my bike put together(have parts getting powder coated). And I also have a buddy that couldn't keep up with his harley on a ride ,so he now wants to take out his r1. I know the 9 is a beast and I'm still breaking her in. With that said I haven't had the chance to let her loose. I do have scorpion tips and soon an FI2000R and possibly an intake. So, how well does a 9 do against a crotch rocket? Anyone have any experiences? Thanks in advance
I love this bike... But get ready to get your ass handed to you when you hit 2nd MAYBE 3rd gear. You may get him off the line, but his bike will do near 80mph in first gear. You will get a great view off the back of his bike though!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
:agree: Not a race you want to take. Keep in mind you are on a 700+ pound bike with less power than both of the bikes you mention.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not too worried about the 750

I love this bike... But get ready to get your ass handed to you when you hit 2nd MAYBE 3rd gear. You may get him off the line, but his bike will do near 80mph in first gear. You will get a great view off the back of his bike though!:bigthumbsup:
The guy with the 750 can't shift, doesn't know where is torque is best, redlines every gear. Either way if I loose I'll look damn good loosing. Lol

·
Registered
655 Posts
the 9 is made for cruising with plenty of power on hand, The gsxr is made to haul ass with little comfort in mind. You will not win the race but right after he beats you, tell him you want him to follow you on a 250 mile ride around town. See who wants off their bike first.

G

·
I also have a Honda ST1300. When the sport bikes want me to race them, I say sure. A $1 a mile....the first one to Denver wins. That's 1000 mi from here. They never take me up on it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You're only chance is to make NITROUS on of your new mods. :bigthumbsup:
At 1,000lbs with a full tank of gas and nitros plus rider and gear, I think you may still need a turbo and one or two rocket boosters to even keep up one they hit second gear.

But messing with the 600 crowd is great fun. I'll gun it until I hit about 70 and have a nice lead so they can see me hit my brake to drop back down to the speed limit. They seem to be waiting at the next light for another taste.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
you might beat a 600cc crotch rocket, but only if it is not an R6.

an older gsxr 750, maybe, but in the end even the novice rider of a 750cc sportbike should pull ahead once the rpm's get into the higher range.

now an R1, don't even think about it. the race will be over before it ever begins. i own an R1 and i can tell you first hand that it will not be pretty at all. an R1 can do over 100 mph in first gear alone.

and a busa, well we won't even go there. that would just be a waste of gas for both bikes.

but the good news is that you should be able to totally destroy any average harley out there. have fun. ride safe.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I think its funny that these guys feel the need to race you on crotch
rockets. It would be like challenging a truck when you have a sports car.
LAME

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
you might beat a 600cc crotch rocket, but only if it is not an R6.

an older gsxr 750, maybe, but in the end even the novice rider of a 750cc sportbike should pull ahead once the rpm's get into the higher range.

now an R1, don't even think about it. the race will be over before it ever begins. i own an R1 and i can tell you first hand that it will not be pretty at all. an R1 can do over 100 mph in first gear alone.

and a busa, well we won't even go there. that would just be a waste of gas for both bikes.

but the good news is that you should be able to totally destroy any average harley out there. have fun. ride safe.
I just sold my 04 R1 and it is unreal,how many people won't believe it when you tell them ,what the bike can do in first gear.
Even the guy who bought it,he was like ,are you kidding me?
I hit 175 km/hr in first and the rev limiter didn't even came on yet.
I will miss the brute power and speed ,but nothing else.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
if the guy with the gsxr is a good friend, let him take it for a spin. he will not think it is slow any more, or atleast for a cruiser.

I have a buddy with a mean streak 1600. And he used to say all he needs is 200 more. Well, I got sick of hearing him say say it. So I traded bikes for a few miles. He turned the keys over with a white knuckled, terrified face. He has never said he could keep up after that day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i agree

I think its funny that these guys feel the need to race you on crotch
rockets. It would be like challenging a truck when you have a sports car.
LAME
I agree it is lame. I told my buddy with both the harley and r1 two things
#1- its kind of sad you have pull out the r1 just to keep up with me, since your harley couldn't
#2- he kept telling me ,while he rode his harley, you need to take it easy and cruise. I told him in return "when you ride a harley I guess you have no choice but to cruise, I my friend have options" lol I like giving him a hard time

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you're still in the break in period I would not spank it too hard. You got nothing to prove.:p

1 - 20 of 109 Posts