M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to remove the rear wheel hub joint plate without "oil seal remover" tool

How do you guys remove the rear wheel hub joint plate??
The service manual says to use "09913-50121 Oil seal remover" tool which I obviously do not have.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks biscuitpimp.....I was able to stick a big allen wrench down in there and pry the hub up....worked pretty good! :bigthumbsup:

So far the back wheel has been a bit more difficult to work with than the front was! :-\

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I can't get the rubber wheel dampers out :swear:
Buggers are in there TIGHT!!!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
spray each rubber with wd40, or something like, get plenty in there, give it a couple of mins, then get a big screwdriver and stick it in the middle of the cush, and shake it around like a mad man, and they will pop right out!!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok.....I'll try that (I'm going to try swearing more too)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GOD I LOVE THIS FORUM.....You guys are AWESOME!!!
Whenever I need help someone on here always responds within minutes.
I can't even count how many times I would have been up sh*t creek without the advice I've received on here.

Thanks to jem and biscuitpimp for your help on these rear wheel issues....your advice was great and worked perfectly.

I also want to mention Zoom and Rynosback who have helped me and many other members of this forum over the past few years. It's people like you that allow the nine to go from being a great bike to the BEST bike. It seems that any possible issue that can (and does) arise can be solved by you guys!

I wish I could buy each and every one of you a beer!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
There's also some good stuff in the How to part.

Glad you figured it out... This stuff can be very hard to search for! I knew what I was looking for and it still took me 15 minutes to find the exact thread! Here's what I was looking for...:bigthumbsup:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75238

When I reinstall I use a socket that is just a hair smaller than the hole in the rim and place on top the bushing then drive it in. I don't drive it all the way down but close. Once I get all of them back in I replace the drive and knock it the rest of the way if needed.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great vid....never saw that one before.
That's exactly what I did except I sprayed them down with WD-40 like jem suggested. Then used dish soap to put them back into the new wheel.

They would be IMPOSSIBLE to get out without lube. I actually broke a screwdriver off trying to pry them when they were dry.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
But beware not to pry on the lip of the wheel that lines up with the rear diff. Many people have bent them up really bad. I used soapy water to get them out and 303 (a great dressing) to pop them back into place.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
You can also put them in the freezer for an hour or two before installing them and then they just drop in. Freezing them makes them shrink a little and also less flexible, so they don't try to grip the holes as they go in.

I take them out using dishwashing soap, I prefer it over a petroleum based product that may damage them if used in excess. But I don't pry them out. I put a 50/50 mix of dishwashing soap and water in and around them, then find a socket that just fits inside the bushings. Put an extension on the socket, place it just in the hole, and hit it with a rubber mallet. The dishwashing soap creates enough hydraulic force that they pop out. If they don't pop out, put more soap inside them.

You can also do that with a wood dowel, basically anything that fits a little snug inside the bushing.

I've removed a lot of pilot bearings from car blocks using grease and something similar to force them out, and figured it would work on these too. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
How do you guys remove the rear wheel hub joint plate??
The service manual says to use "09913-50121 Oil seal remover" tool which I obviously do not have.
Place the wheel on the floor for max pulling force. Use 2 sets of vise grip pliers to bite the hub face, use just enough force on pliers to avoid damage to hub. Position pliers @ 180 degrees on the hub. Pull both pliers UP at the same time and VIOLA! I would recommend replacing the rubber seal that's on the hub. It's a 2-3 $ item at the dealer. Cheap insurance!:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup: Don't forget to grease up the new seal before installation.:bigthumbsup:
As for the rubber dampers, see the video posted here. Soapy water and long #3 phillip's head screw driver,.....do it slow and be patient. It's all about technique in this step. YOU CAN DO IT!:bigthumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts