M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have scorpion tips on my bike but I would like to make them louder still. I looked at all the debaffle threads and can't find one that shows me where I need to drill the holes. I have removed the tips and see that there are no baffles in there already,but when I look inside the pipes, I see some honeycomb looking stuff. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The honeycomb is the catalytic converter. If you could eliminate that, it would be slightly louder. But I must ask, without baffles, those scorpion tips must be ear destroyers. Why in the world would you want them any louder? Are you a glutton for punishment, or already deaf?

The stock pipes have a SET valve and a catalytic converter installed where the two head pipes meet. You can dis-connect the two cables to the SET, this will leave it in the wide open position, which will get you some more noise at idle. Once you pull the cables, you will also have to pull one of the wires out of the ECU, so the computer will no longer monitor the SET function.

You could remove the pipes from your bike, take them to an exhaust place somewhere and have them remove the converter. The converter is not mandatory on 06 to 09 bikes, but I think it is required 10 and up. So most shops may remove the thing.:dontknow:

Good luck, and god bless your ears, their going to need it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, my pipes are not that loud. Even my wife who does not like bikes says that they are not too loud when she rides with me once in a blue moon. Especially when I went to Ocean City bike week, I heard VINNIEB and his Raw pipe and drooled. Mine sounded so quiet. Thanks for the info, I will go and remove that honeycomb.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
Try it, but I think you're not going to like the sound. This thing needs a little dampening of some sort to give you the deep sound and not just a lot of racket. Plus your performance is probably going to drop, exhaust doesn't like going into a big empty box then gathering again to go out two small outlets.

·
Registered
63 Posts
do what ?????????? my old bike those pipes are about the loudest ur gonne get the only other solution remove entire pipe from motor attach the tips directly to the block lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts