M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my chrome taillight cover from mean cycles yesterday!! Looks good but how do you install it over the rear tail light? The cover has a lip on it that I presume fits over the lower part of the light. I searched the site but didn't find any instructions on how to remove the fender or taillight. I know that the sticky tape wont work so I purchased some epoxy to ensure it stays in place. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
You have to remove the painted tail section of the bike. Then you install the cover on top of the light.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
So remove the rear fender assembly?
Not the fender, just the painted tail section as already specified. There are also 2 phillips head screws on the underside you have to remove. If you don't know they are there, you'll pull your hair out wondering why it won't come off.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Yes, that's about all there is to it. The cover doesn't fit super tight to the light, but you will have a horrible fit if you don't take the rear section off.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I have installed three of them, and they do fit very nice to the tail light if you apply it correctly. You don't need epoxy to insure that it will stay in place. Once you get the rear plastic tail piece disconnected and the tail light itself disconnected from the plastic tail piece, all you have to do is insure the tail light is clean and free of any debris...then do a practice test fit with before removing the cover from the contact side of the 3M tape. When fitting it on the light make sure that you place the little lip on the Chrome Tail Light Cover underneath the tail light itself first so that it sort of catches underneath. That is the proper fit. Once you are sure you have the fit right peal the covers off of the contact sides of the 3M tape on the underside of the Chrome Tail Light. When you are ready to appy the Chrome Tail Light Cover make sure you fit the little lip underneath the tail light first, and then just lay the the rest of the Chrome Tail Light Cover in place so that it is straight on the tail light, and then press down firmly but carefully on the contact points where the 3M tape located on the under side of the Chrome Tail Light Cover. Once you have done that you can start putting it back together and reassembling whole tail piece. When you are finished the Chrome Tail Light Cover should not stick up very high off of the tail light, and you should only see a slight gap around the edges between the Chrome Tail Light Cover and the actual tail section piece that it fits into.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
....., and you should only see a slight gap around the edges between the Chrome Tail Light Cover and the actual tail section piece that it fits into.

Good Luck.
Yeah, it was that "slight gap" that drove me crazy with mine. I guess I am just too picky; I sold mine to a fellow Georgia Rider for half of what I paid. It was on my bike for 5 minutes...LOL.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I had a hard time adjusting mine to completely cover the both sides of the light. Seems I could never get it to fit to my liking. I took it off and was going to have it painted (hated the cheap plastic chrome look), but melted it partially with a heat gun. :eek:
All of the ones I have installed looked great, and people could not tell it was plastic until I either told it was or they felt it for themselves. Nevertheless, I think it still looks very good and adds some flare to the rear of the bike and balances out the distribution of chrome...especially if you have lots of chrome throughout the rest of the bike. My bikes and my friends bike was screaming for a splash of chrome in the tail sectioin to balance things out. It was the perfect addition.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have one and I recommend that you use silicone to attach it to the tail light, if you use epoxy you'll never get it off if you have to one day. I used it and it's been solid for the 2 years I've installed it. Just thought I would add this as a helpful hint.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Mine had the gap around the edges too. Since the bike was black I got black duct tape and put that on the edge of the tail light so no red light leaked out under the sides. I like the look of mine. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,860 Posts
Mine is on with the 3M double stick tape too. The only time I can tell there is a gap on it is when looking directly down from above at just the right angle. From the side or behind you can't tell it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Thanks to everyone in this thread ,
I just ordered on of these , and will install
as mentioned .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not the fender, just the painted tail section as already specified. There are also 2 phillips head screws on the underside you have to remove. If you don't know they are there, you'll pull your hair out wondering why it won't come off.
Like Big-B said those two screws are a pain. If you cant find them look up the how to on the de-beaver thread and I think it was actually Big -Bs write up which has a good picture of the two screws you need to take off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts