M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly how difficult is this to do? I've seen a lot of people doing it and it appears like the badges are just glued on.. what do you do to remove them without damaging the finish?? TIA

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used a heat gun to warm them up a little and just peeled them off. The tank badges, I did the same and pry-ed it up with my finger. It left very little glue behind and then I used Goo Gone to clean it up. A hair dryer will work if you don't have a heat gun. Take you time, it's pretty easy.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Left it in the sun for a while. This always seems better than a heat gun.

Then use either dental floss or I like fishing line. Dental floss breaks but you can get fishing line as strong as you need.

Then I used sticker off for the tank.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, thats almost so simple as to be a stupid question, but I didn't want to mess up the finish by doing something goofy. I'm good with wrenches, not with paint sprayers

:read: :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Your welcome.

The clearcoat on the plastic is pretty thin. Be very careful when peeling those. I recommend the sun and no heatgun on the plastic.

I guess I am saying don't treat the plastic the same way you will the tank when removing decals. Use extra caution the tank clearcoat is alright but the plastic isn't.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I put a light rag (no keep from scratching) around a putty knife and pryed the bastards off. Then removed the glue with Goo-B-Gone. (I knew it would work. Debadged my 1400 4 years ago that way)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
L-Train said:
Your welcome.

The clearcoat on the plastic is pretty thin. Be very careful when peeling those. I recommend the sun and no heatgun on the plastic.

I guess I am saying don't treat the plastic the same way you will the tank when removing decals. Use extra caution the tank clearcoat is alright but the plastic isn't.
Correct, but you dont need to really
The 2 "emblems" on the sides of the tank are the hardest.... plenty of Sun and heat and they are not too bad (see above) The warmer they are the less they leave behind. aA great trick for this is to do it with a nearly empty tank as the sun will warm a tank with air in it faster than fuel.
the M109 Thick type stickers on the plastic pieces on the side come right off in the sun glue and all and then you can stick them to your toolbox :D
The Clear suzuki by the seat is the same way.
The warning "labels" Suck like a motherinlaw with a one way ticket to your house! be sure these are good and warm (dont burn if you use a tool) and go VERY SLOW!
if you can keep the clear top part connected to the white/printed bottom as you pull it is cake. If you delaminate them and remove only the stronger clear mylar? then the white part is so weak that you cant peel a bunch at a time (you will need beer at this stage) Remember the empty tank too...

Sledzep

·
Registered
17 Posts
I took the M109R badges off in the hot sun with no problem; put one on the back of my helmet and one over the suzuki letters on the back fender - a perfect fit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
All the badges on the 109 use a double-back type adhesive.  The tank (side of tank) badges can be easily removed using fishing line.  Nice easy, long, saw action strokes while you pull firmly on the fishing line.  It is not necessary to pull hard or stroke fast.  You won't damage the paint. Use gloves to keep from hurting your fingers.  Dental floss works, but you'll go through alot because it breaks easy.  The badges on the side covers are the same double-back adhesive.  You can use the fish line or you can easily lift an edge with your finger nail, if you have them, and pull firmly in one stroke.  You won't lift the paint.  When removing the badges it help if all the surfaces are warm.  Let the bike sit in the sun for an hour or two and debadging your bike is not difficult.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good info guys - I was wondering this myself - and check it out - I used the search and didnt start a new string. :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
Use this from 3M to remove any glue from the paint. You car squirt this behind the decal and it will come off easily.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
JR® said:
easy,dental floss in a sawing action :bigthumbsup:
If only it were that easy.... Sure, that gets the badge off, but it does nothing to get the foam tape that Satan himself helped make off the tank :-\

Edit: Dang, I can't believe I didn't see how old this post was... :-\

·
Registered
189 Posts
It will also get the foam off the tank Medic! Just use the solvent and a clean rag. The foam will stick to the rag. Just keep rotating the rag.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
mazzuca21366 said:
It will also get the foam off the tank Medic! Just use the solvent and a clean rag. The foam will stick to the rag. Just keep rotating the rag.
I'll have to remember that stuff on my next bike. I did it the hard way last Summer.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
easy Rubber spackel knife from a window tint kit lift edg of badge slide knife under it pull along till comes off take a shop towel spray glue with (break cleaner) rub with towel then wax :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts