M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a LONG process of doing a black out to my engine......i finally got everything put back together including the new (to me) fully smoothed goldwing mod air cleaners, thanks to pynikal:bigthumbsup:. I have yet to get my fuel management.....but need to move my bike from my friends shop back to my house. I live about 15 min away. I have scorpion tips (cat and set still in tact) and the goldwing mod with k&n filters. As much as i know i need some sort of fuel management, i really want to just ride it home!!!!! Am i askin for trouble, or will a short ride not hurt anything????

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
It is not that the lack of fuel management will hurt anything, but rather how well will it run.

when you change throughput by changing the intake and exhaust, you usually need fuel management to add more fuel so the bike does not run lean and under perform and in certain spots, to back fuel off so you do not get alot of popping and backfires.

The intake mod you have will not make a great difference from stock unless you also changed out to the K&N filters.

The tips change things very little as well.

Take that ride and maybe even a longer one.

See how it runs.

You may find that you do not need to invest in the fuel manager.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You'll be fine. I've run my bike (lightly) with a Xtreme Revolution Stage 2 air
kit and Bassani Pro Streets without a problem. Putting some stock intakes
on today because I can't afford engine management and the air kit needs
some work.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Since you do have the K&N's installed I wouldn't do any long highway runs with it. You should be fine to ride it as long as you don't do any long constant mid rpm runs (highway). Have fun and ride safe

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Since you do have the K&N's installed
Did he edit that or did I just miss it?

Well, it looks like his post is unedited, so I must have missed it.

With that in mind, the change in the intake is big enough to matter, but still, the tips are borderline as to if that is a big enough change to be outside of the cpu's ability to keep things right.

I still say, ride it. You may end up running a little lean in spots, so you will not see the full potential of your mods on performance, but to some extent, running on the lean side will save you gas.

I have the PCV and you can pick AFRs for different scenarios. I have all gears below 20% throttle and all of 5th gear set to a rather lean setting. My gas mileage has improved by nearly 20% on average and far more on straight highway rides.

Also, be sure to block off the pair system before you conclude any popping is from running too rich.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the insight!! I hadn't even thought about blocking the pair system.......now I wish I would have before putting everything together! There was a guy on here who used to sell the kit to do it..........does anyone remember who it was? I know I can order through dlp, just thought id check.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Thanks for all the insight!! I hadn't even thought about blocking the pair system.......now I wish I would have before putting everything together! There was a guy on here who used to sell the kit to do it..........does anyone remember who it was? I know I can order through dlp, just thought id check.
Skip the kit and plug the line with a marble or anything that seals it.

You can get to the line without taking everything apart by either removing an intake or sliding the tank back.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You'll be fine. You dont need to add any fuel with what you got. Suzuki has their bikes running fat already. If you did get a PC3 and a dyno tune with the mods you have now you would see them taking a little bit of fuel away. Save your money and just ride it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts