M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a service plan on my bike since I bought it 3 years ago and it finally ran out just a few months ago. Changed my oil today. I did as you're suppose to do with warming the oil, draining it, changing the filter, adding a bit over 3 quarts, letting it run for 15 minutes, waiting like 5 minutes after turning it off, checking it with the bike level and not screwing the dip stick in. I added a bit more and was now at or a bit over 3 1/2 quarts but still nothing showing on the dipstick. I keep adding a little along while checking it. I finally end up putting all 4 quarts in her and running her for a bit and then wait for all the oil to settle again. I put the stick in and nothing. I then screw it all the way in and still nothing! What's the deal here? The bike is on a motorcycle lift sitting perfectly level during this whole process and there is no oil leaks so what gives??? Anyone else have this issue? I've looked through the forums a bit but didn't find anything on it so please don't rag me if this has been discussed a 100 times. Thanks in advance.

·
Radio Active Member
27,670 Posts
I would not add more then what you have. I put almost 4 quarts in mine and I rock the crap out of it and let it drain for a while. Make sure that you do not have any leaks. Then check the oil when your brain is fresh. Your better off being a little low then over filled also.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not add more then what you have. I put almost 4 quarts in mine and I rock the crap out of it and let it drain for a while. Make sure that you do not have any leaks. Then check the oil when your brain is fresh. Your better off being a little low then over filled also.
Yeah...I know what you mean about over filling it. The stealer did it twice and it sux going down the road and finding the oil coming out the air cleaner and getting all over your bike and wife. I don't have any leaks what so ever! I don't mind it being a bit low but I want to see someting on the dipstick even if it's just the very tip!

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
When I did mine, I drained out 4 quarts. I only put in the recommended 3600 ml or w/e it is. No issues. Are you checking on the sidestand or standing straight up?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
As I said, it's on a motorcycle stand sitting perfectly level. :dontknow:
Sorry, missed that part. I check mine on the sidestand. Just went out to the garage, pulled the stick, put it in w/o screwing it in and it reads about 1/4 of the way up the hash marks. i screw it in, and it registers right on the full mark. These bikes are really strange as far as checking the oil goes. It works for me, so that's how I do it. Plus it was recommended by a friend that I trust and has had a 9 a lot longer then me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, missed that part. I check mine on the sidestand. Just went out to the garage, pulled the stick, put it in w/o screwing it in and it reads about 1/4 of the way up the hash marks. i screw it in, and it registers right on the full mark. These bikes are really strange as far as checking the oil goes. It works for me, so that's how I do it. Plus it was recommended by a friend that I trust and has had a 9 a lot longer then me.
So you check your oil while it's on it's sidestand? Hmmmm? I was just going by the book and what I've read here on the site. Does anyone else here check theirs while it's on the sidestand? Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
So you check your oil while it's on it's sidestand? Hmmmm? I was just going by the book and what I've read here on the site. Does anyone else here check theirs while it's on the sidestand? Thanks for the info.
It's late, but I'm sure you will get a lot of responses on the subject.:bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,874 Posts
It's called the cold check and a lot of us use it. Warm the bike up and park it, preferably overnight. Then the next day, before moving it at all, remove the dipstick and check it. It should register somewhere between low and full if it has the proper amount in it. The key here is to not move the bike at all, don't stand it up, don't turn the wheel, nothing. Just pull the stick and read it. If you want to check it again, wipe it off and screw it all the way back in.

This works if it doesn't sit too long. On mine if I let it sit much longer than a day it registers lower.

New oil is sometimes hard to see, so turn the stick over and look at the back side of it opposite the hash marks. It shows better there.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
It's called the cold check and a lot of us use it. Warm the bike up and park it, preferably overnight. Then the next day, before moving it at all, remove the dipstick and check it. It should register somewhere between low and full if it has the proper amount in it. The key here is to not move the bike at all, don't stand it up, don't turn the wheel, nothing. Just pull the stick and read it. If you want to check it again, wipe it off and screw it all the way back in.

This works if it doesn't sit too long. On mine if I let it sit much longer than a day it registers lower.

New oil is sometimes hard to see, so turn the stick over and look at the back side of it opposite the hash marks. It shows better there.
Thanks Mike, I couldn't remember the term. Although my bike has been sitting for 2 weeks and I got the proper check I was looking for.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
The same happen to me when I changed my oil about a couple of weeks ago. I kept adding a little bit and ended up putting 4 qts. I rode around about 5 miles checked it and it still was a little low. So I rode around about another 30 to 40 miles and got home checked for leaks, none found. I let it sit straight while cooling down for 10 minutes. I checked the oil three times without screwing in the dip stick and it perfectly lined up with the top oil level. I checked again several days later and it was still at the top level and no leaks. :dontknow:

When I changed the oil while on kickstand and it stopped draining, i sat the bike straight up for about a minute then put back on kickstand, then additional oil drained out. This could be the reason I needed I the full 4 qts.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I never check my oil. 37k miles on it and it doesn't lose any during the 3k miles I ride between. I drain it out, fill it up and fire the bike up. I let it run for about 5 minutes to check for leaks. That is the last time I check it until the next oil change. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Not sure if it's the same, but on my C when I did my first oil change I put in the 3 quarts, idled for 15min, let sit for 3, added more, idled for 15min, then accidentally let it sit for 5 min and the dipstick registered nothing. So I idled it again, then waited exactly 3minutes of it being off and the dipstick registered properly.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wolvey71,
Any chance that when your bike is on the stand, that the bike is level side to side, but the rear end is slightly lower? Maybe the lack of oil on the dipstick is because of it pooling at the rear of the bike...even just slightly to have little reading on the stick.
This topic pisses me off to no end. We/I have talked about, debated....makes me mad that such a great bike has such a stupid way to accurately check the oil.

My new practice is to measure oil removed, and replace with the exact amount back. The big v-twin has lots of areas for the oil to pool and hide into. Must move the bike around to get as much out of it as possible. I then drain old oil into a 4 litre empty windshield wiper fluid container. I have pre marked this container with more exact measurements between 3 and 4 liters. What ever is taken out, same amount goes back in. (Also account for the oil left in the old filter)

It's anal...but it is bang on everytime. Dealer will take out 3 liters...ish, then add 3.4....which is the start of the over-fill/puking issue...imho.

Dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
DID MINE TODAY

Did my oil change today,put on a new oil filter,added 3.6ltrs of oil to her,did the 15/3 thinggy as well,checked the oil on the side stand,and it reads half way up the dip stick:dontknow:.So i took her for a run{125kms} got home,let her sit for a while,checked the oil,oil filter and 2x sump plugs for any leaks,{none to be found} and the oil level was spot on:bigthumbsup:
Cant see what all the fuss is about :dontknow:

·
Registered
547 Posts
It holds just enought to make it full. :bigthumbsup: I quite going by the recommended quantity. Do the oil change as in Lamonsters recommendations and fill it up till it's full in the dipstick. This being done while the engine is hot and a little time between checking oil to allow to settle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts