M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LaMont's thread about riding buddies got me to thinking of my riding style. I typically ride alone, although on occassion I have my wife with me on her bike (she doesn't ride nearly as much as I do). Every now & then, I'll be with a small group (3-7 bikes?).

As a result of all my solo riding, when I see a bike in front of me, no matter how far ahead they are, I get instantly inflicted with 'catchupitus'. Now, catchupitus is a serious illness and I'm sure it affects many of us.

Here's some of my symptoms:
1) See a bike in front, no matter how far ahead and no matter the riding conditions (current speed, current speed limit, no traffic, heavy traffic, strong cross winds, rain, etc), I try to recognize the bike.
2) Obviously #1 isn't always instantaneous, thus catchupitus flares up. I'll give just that much more throttle...in order to catch up to slowly, so I can check their bike out, and they can check my bike out....as I overtake them and continue to leave them at the same pace (else...it'd look like I just caught up to 'em to check out their bike....and then fall back being slower again, right?).
3) The additional throttle also varies by the route I was originally taking: if I've only got a mile left to my destination, I might be inclined to speed even more. If I've got several miles to go, I might just make it very, very gradual....or keep up a steady semi-fast gain.
4) Try to see how close I have to be...from the rear of the bike, to correctly guess which bike it is. (this one is especially fun to me...as I still don't know many bikes at a glance).
5) Forgot to mention in #1 that..upon first sight of another bike, and 'catchupitis' starts pumping its chemicals through my body, the heartrate picks up, the cold or hot weather becomes less of a worry, etc. Also thought even though I was done with my list a while ago, that I needed a 5th element.

So....are you infected, too?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Those simptoms sound strikingly familiar. :eek: There should be a support group. :D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ummm...I think I need to see a doctor :eek: :evil: who'd a thunk this was so common :yikes:

Devilish

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have to many doctors no! I would hate to add another one to my list but I have the same afliction. I even sometimes depending on road conditions (Traffic, road, weather, police), will catch up to see if they want to try me. :D

It's always fun to spank another bike unless it is a 109. The sightings of these are far and few between so thats not a problem. :p :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't have catchupitus but I do have that other one - gopassemuptus. It forces you into 2nd gear and your right hand makes the tach go past 6K in just milliseconds.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Austin109 said:
I don't have catchupitus but I do have that other one - gopassemuptus. It forces you into 2nd gear and your right hand makes the tach go past 6K in just milliseconds.
I got that one too...feeling queasy here...need to catch and pass something...NOW! :doorag: :evil: :eek:

Devilish

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
OMG!
Is this fatal? Or is it just expensive?
I was riding Saturday and I had a bad case of that.
I do have a significant problem though...I don't get to see many bikes from the back....
I've grown able to recognize them from the side or in my mirrors... :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wildwolf,

Yes, indeed this is a common affliction that is seen all too often in the medical community.  The most serious cases are termed ERitis and can be fatal.  Less serious conditions involve once you catch up the individual you proceed to leave them far behind, which is a condition called catch-me-if-you-can.  We know from experience that this condition is rarely caught.  When it is caught, it is most likely the inability of the rider to identify the crotch-rocket syndrome. 

I suggest you take two aspirins and do not call me in the morning. 

Thanks,

Doc     :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
wildwolf said:
LaMont's thread about riding buddies got me to thinking of my riding style. I typically ride alone, although on occassion I have my wife with me on her bike (she doesn't ride nearly as much as I do). Every now & then, I'll be with a small group (3-7 bikes?).

As a result of all my solo riding, when I see a bike in front of me, no matter how far ahead they are, I get instantly inflicted with 'catchupitus'. Now, catchupitus is a serious illness and I'm sure it affects many of us.

Here's some of my symptoms:
1) See a bike in front, no matter how far ahead and no matter the riding conditions (current speed, current speed limit, no traffic, heavy traffic, strong cross winds, rain, etc), I try to recognize the bike.
2) Obviously #1 isn't always instantaneous, thus catchupitus flares up. I'll give just that much more throttle...in order to catch up to slowly, so I can check their bike out, and they can check my bike out....as I overtake them and continue to leave them at the same pace (else...it'd look like I just caught up to 'em to check out their bike....and then fall back being slower again, right?).
3) The additional throttle also varies by the route I was originally taking: if I've only got a mile left to my destination, I might be inclined to speed even more. If I've got several miles to go, I might just make it very, very gradual....or keep up a steady semi-fast gain.
4) Try to see how close I have to be...from the rear of the bike, to correctly guess which bike it is. (this one is especially fun to me...as I still don't know many bikes at a glance).
5) Forgot to mention in #1 that..upon first sight of another bike, and 'catchupitis' starts pumping its chemicals through my body, the heartrate picks up, the cold or hot weather becomes less of a worry, etc. Also thought even though I was done with my list a while ago, that I needed a 5th element.

So....are you infected, too?
I got it... not all the time but I got it.. especially if its a dual sport or something 'rare' so I can give a thumbs up and maybe meet a new bud

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have a severe case of it also, it even affected me when I drove a semi. As you know the disease isn't fatal, but it can get REALLY expensive in a semi.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Austin109 said:
Just so ya know, the M109 doesn't have this disease, but I do believe it is a carrier of it 8)

·
Registered
158 Posts
DaltonH said:
Just so ya know, the M109 doesn't have this disease, but I do believe it is a carrier of it 8)
I'm going to have to agree on this one, the one change is it seems to effect my eye site, I can see the bike but have to pass it to get the proper look, see I think my memory goes a little too and until I pass the bike I can't access the part of memory that bike is stored in, its a triggered recall once I'm pass the bike and then I remember. (I should really get this checked out, I've seen another 109 around that seems to have the same problem :D)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yea,Yea!
Oh how so True.
Must be that I have definitely got the Bug.
I,ve only had the 109 2 Weeks.
Must be i,ts magical powers.
As long as the :cop: doesnt catch me.

:beer3:
Fatcat downunder in Oz.

G

·
if most people have it.. then wouldnt it be considered normal? And those that dont have it should be considered ABNORMAL.

:read:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts