M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got about 167 miles on a tank of gas when the light went solid, I pulled into a gas station and proceeded to fill the tank up. I filled the bike on the sidestand and the bike took 4.8 gallons. I am sure if I stood the bike up when filling it, the bike probably could have taken some additional fuel. Anyone have any idea on how many miles you can get once the light goes solid?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same here my light went solid at 168, i put 4.76 gal in it... according to the specs its a 5 gal tank so there is .3 gal left , the way i figure you got about 10 miles left depending on how you ride, but your #'s are close to mine

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Wow, I need to take a hard look at my mileage. I got my bike with 2 miles on it and a mostly full tank.... I darined that and filled it up. My light is blinking again... but I have not even reached 200 miles!!!!
Something is wrong... or I am having WAY too much fun.
I have only been to 6k rpms a few times ::)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes, just checked the Suzuki site...18.5 liter (4.9 gal.). Glad I decided to stop once the light went solid...I would have been pushing a really heavy bike down the road!

·
Registered
849 Posts
I like the fact that the first warning lights come on when you've got 4 litres left. That reminds me to check the guages a little more frequently. When the 1.5 litre warning gets my attention, I start looking for fuel.
If I was in a strange area where fuel might be a little harder to find, I'd probably get a little more ready to gas after first warning. I've got the 49 state (5.2) gallon tank and it's nice to have that range between fill ups.
Jerbear

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I only had a 100 miles on mine when the light came on. Guess the dealer didn't give me a full tank.......maybe I was just doing a good job breaking her in!!! :hot: :hot: :hot:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cant stand that damn fuel light blinking in my face so I fill up as soon as it starts blinking. I dont know why they put that there anyway. I mean if your not smart enough to watch your gas gauge or trip meter, you deserve to push your bike in my opinion.

·
Registered
584 Posts
slickdj96 said:
I cant stand that damn fuel light blinking in my face so I fill up as soon as it starts blinking. I dont know why they put that there anyway. I mean if your not smart enough to watch your gas gauge or trip meter, you deserve to push your bike in my opinion.
LOL! I'm the same way. The flashing light drives me nuts! hahaha

·
Registered
171 Posts
slickdj96 said:
The only problem with this is that the LCD gauge is almost totally useless. Mine show two bars which indicates half tank, and shortly after the light will start blinking. The gauge is poorly calibrated.

I have no idea how much range this thing has when the light starts to flash, but is sounds like if it gets too low it will go on steady? And stop flashing? I am not that brave to let it go on steady.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thats why if you know about how many mpg's your getting you can figure out your range on a tank of fuel.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
My light is blinking again... but I have not even reached 200 miles!!!!
after reading lamont's story, i'd hate to be the guy that tried to get 200 miles out of this tank :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have gone 190 miles traveling from Panama City Beach, FL to Montgomery, AL back in April (45mpg). I got around 140 miles on my first tank of gas. The dealer filled up the bike, but told me that as the bike loosens up, the gas mileage will improve. I am currently getting 37mpg in town.

·
Registered
253 Posts
well I just used my first tank and I put 17.37 lts in it or 4.588 gallons I got 250kms from that or 155 miles but my light wasnt solid just flashing in my face like a beacon seems to me the guage is spot on here light came on with 1 bar left and the bars moved down gradually like it was working well

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
MDBlvd109 said:
I agree...the blinking light in a pain. I usually start looking for a place to fuel up when it starts so I don't have to watch it. I too think the gauge is off...since it stays on full for so long...then it seems to drop in unequal increments. It goes from two bars to blinking pretty quick. Not a fan of this feature...but hey the bike more than makes up for the little annoyances
I cant count how many times I have tried to "shut off" that yellow blinker. Of course that means I just started signaling a turn....
Does anyone know how to make it just be solid?? I dont mind how soon it comes on... just the blinking part.

Sledzep

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
slickdj96 said:
Thats why if you know about how many mpg's your getting you can figure out your range on a tank of fuel.
That's all fine and dandy, but there's a big difference in range when you're getting only 31MPG due to a heavy use of the throttle as opposed to 43MPG with a more judicious throttle. If I shift at 3200 RMP or so, and stay around that when cruising, I can get 42 to 43 MPG. This equates to 223 miles on a tank at 43MPG, whereas you only get 161 miles on a tank at 31MPG. I use those figures because I have gotten both mileages. Running the gears to redline and cruising around in 3rd or 4th gear at 5000 RPM is gonna give you 31MPG if you're lucky. This is why I appreciate the little annoying blinking light.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts