M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my 109 in for repairs. My rear rim was dented. They fixed the rim, and it now has a lead weight stuck on the inner circle of the rim.
Anyone else have weights on their rims.

·
Registered
775 Posts
my front and rear rim are balanced. every bike i've seen (other than very small ones) had balanced rims. wouldn't be good not to balance them.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have three small square weights stuck on the shaft side of the rim. They were put there when I had the Metzeler installed. I think there was one small weight on the edge of the rim from the factory.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Both front and rear factory tires had weights but my new rear Elite 3 250/40 R18 has none and I've run it over 140 mph with no vibration so I guess it just doesn't need any. Bastards scratched my rim pretty bad though . :edit: .....is there no way to avoid this ? I've been asking around and it seems to be just the way it is here .
Dave

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like most do. I was a little worried that they added so much aluminum that they had to throw on too many weights.
Now I just have to deal with the difference in color from stock to what they have painted them...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
No weights on mine !

Far as scratches go I think that can be avoided,i have watched tire guys mount some High profile rim's and they used a Teflon coated tire bar,Not the regular steel one used on every day car rims!  I guess it's called Teflon it's white plastic looking stuff keeps from messing up a high dollar rim :bigthumbsup: some people do not have the love for motorcycles we share here!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I believe it's called Delrin but it works like teflon only stronger. All the conveyor systems in the food business use it because it's self lubricating and strong and won't rust and easy to clean.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You guys have me wondering, to the point of concern??
I've one small weight on the front wheel and there isn't any on the back one. I've had the bike up to fairly high speeds (80-100mph) There doesn't seem to be any great vibration. Do I need to have the back wheel balanced,
to see if it needs weights? The dealer says that they are balanced at the factory and if the front has weights and the back doesn't. Then the rear didn't need any.

This dealer has been wrong before.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Don't have my bike here in front of me but I know I have a weight or two on my rear rim, but can't remember for sure about the front one.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I know I have at least one on the rear ............ I just happened to see it last night :p

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Jeez guys, don't you understand what the weights are for? ::)

Not all tires are balanced correctly, i.e. the rubber may be a little thicker/heavier on one side of the tire than the other. That's why every time you put a new tire on the bike they will remove the weights from the wheel and reattach however many is necessary to balance the wheel with the new tire on it. Sometimes you need weights, sometimes you don't. Don't sweat it. I would be more concerned if I DIDN'T have any weights on my rims, wondering if they skipped the balancing step and am I running an unbalanced wheel? :doorag:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I originally asked, because they recently repaired my rim, and I saw some honkin weights on the rear. I was concerned they really messed up the balance of the rim, and are over compensating with too many weights.
Although the weights on my rim are big, sounds like it's probably within reason.
I think most know weights are for balancing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts