M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a flat repair kit (mushroom looking kind) that has 4 cartridges.
That cant be enough can it? I am guessing now way for a fully flat rear tire.
Has any one used them? do you usually catch the problem with a little air left?
I have no experience in this area. If I need 4 more I will get 4 more. Much more than that and I will have to call AAA

Sledzep

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sure how much CO2 canisters are, but they can't be too much. Why don't you let the air out while you're in close proximity of an air compressor and see if 4 canisters are enough?
It seems like a relatively cheap experiment that could pay dividends down the road sometime.

Just a thought

Mazatrol

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
how about the air thief its an attachment you can use to steel air from other tires, lol if your luck. don't know about the canisters I wonder what the pounds are per canister ? it there isn't 42-46 pounds it wont be enough, lets say if you only have 20 pounds in your air pig you will only be able to push 20 pounds in so if you need 46 pounds you've got to have that in you pig/canister hmm am I right?? I've had to use our air pig from the house but i always have to make sure it has at least 50 pounds in it so it can push enough to get 35 pounds out for the truck and or 27 pounds out for the car, which ever the case but hubby said don't take it out until I use the compresore to top it up to 50 pounds so read the canister see how many pounds of pressure of air it holds. hopefully more then what you need for the back even if each only has 30 I think 30 is all you will be able to push it up to no mater how many you have, once the tire has 30 no more canisters will be able to push it up past that?? some other reader will have to check me on that, but thats how i remember it.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
biker-chicky said:
how about the air thief its an attachment you can use to steel air from other tires, lol if your luck. don't know about the canisters I wonder what the pounds are per canister ? it there isn't 42-46 pounds it wont be enough, lets say if you only have 20 pounds in your air pig you will only be able to push 20 pounds in so if you need 46 pounds you've got to have that in you pig/canister hmm am I right?? I've had to use our air pig from the house but i always have to make sure it has at least 50 pounds in it so it can push enough to get 35 pounds out for the truck and or 27 pounds out for the car, which ever the case but hubby said don't take it out until I use the compresore to top it up to 50 pounds so read the canister see how many pounds of pressure of air it holds. hopefully more then what you need for the back even if each only has 30 I think 30 is all you will be able to push it up to no mater how many you have, once the tire has 30 no more canisters will be able to push it up past that?? some other reader will have to check me on that, but thats how i remember it.
I see both your points.

Biker Chicky, in an earlier did you mention that your husbad rides also? ( I remember he is a mechanic) Does he have a 109? is he on the board?

Sledzep

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Hubby Rides the M, yes hes a mechanic, (auto, and hospital seralization rooms, and equipment as well) and no time for the board. Just time to ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been trying to find this information. Came across an article that states 6-12gram canisters will inflate a 180 tire to 20psi

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I bought a flat repair kit (mushroom looking kind) that has 4 cartridges.
That cant be enough can it? I am guessing now way for a fully flat rear tire.
Has any one used them? do you usually catch the problem with a little air left?
I have no experience in this area. If I need 4 more I will get 4 more. Much more than that and I will have to call AAA

Sledzep
sledzep, the same outfit that makes those plugs has a killer 12v air pump. I got both since that time on our group ride one of the guys got a flat. I carry them in a small pack I strap to the passenger seat. Stop and Go I think makes the plugs, neat set up. I got to start shopping for a tire, I have 6k on my rear and it is looking kinda lean down the middle....to many commute miles.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Sledzep01,

Stevej is right-on. The electric pump is the only way to go. I've used eight CO2 cylinders in one rear tire and it only filled the tire half way. In any case, we had two flats on our multi-day ride. We had already exhausted...and not yet replaced our cylinders so we were stuck. Groan! It was a lesson well learned.

I bought the electric pump, guage, and a tire plugger 'gun.' They don't take up much more space than the cylinders and the repairs can be done many times. Its a great solution for you, and any other unfortunites in your group. It's the second best companion on long rides.

Route 66

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Route66 said:
Hi Sledzep01,

Stevej is right-on. The electric pump is the only way to go. I've used eight CO2 cylinders in one rear tire and it only filled the tire half way. In any case, we had two flats on our multi-day ride. We had already exhausted...and not yet replaced our cylinders so we were stuck. Groan! It was a lesson well learned.

I bought the electric pump, guage, and a tire plugger 'gun.' They don't take up much more space than the cylinders and the repairs can be done many times. Its a great solution for you, and any other unfortunites in your group. It's the second best companion on long rides.

Route 66
I have a decent kit, not the gun, but with the better mushroom type plugs. Do you have a link to a tiny pump?
As it is now I had to remove the leather bag from the handlebars. It made the air buffeting very bad on my helmet and made the bars wiggle a little at certain speeds so everything is now in the tank bag...

Sledzep

·
Registered
386 Posts
This is good in a pinch per some online buddies
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=25013819&memberId=12500226

personally, I haul this big bitch around. Well I did before I got the 109. Where's that luggage rack, big joe?

Got bored while airing my tires after getting off some gravel on the ole strom and snapped this one:

...Oh Ride-On is good insurance, its pretty cheap and you can shove a nail in your tire and pull it out and it will just stop leaking. I have that in my bike and carry a plug kit. Just no air compressor right now advrider.com... they'll have a bunch of ideas for ya on compressors. The hardcore guys cut off all the plastic off units like above

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I dont know, maybe on a long trip I mught carry a compressor.
It seems like overkill otherwise.

Sledzep
I carry mine on our group rides because we average anywhere from 400-600 miles. that one time we had to use fix a flat on Jeff's tire just to get him into town where we plugged it and aired it up. I think it is www.cyclepump.com and they have the stop and go plug kits too. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am thinking of buying the air ride kit for my bike and wondering where on the
bike the compressor is mounted, and could i fit a air line to it to pump up the tyres when i get a flat tyre ect.

cedric

1 - 17 of 17 Posts