M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about lowering my bike and don't want to spend a fortune on an air ride kit so I was wondering how low I can go with a set of bones. I am about 200 lbs and often have a passenger who is 110 lbs. Before you guys say it, I am considering adjustable bones as well, but I think I would get tired of adjusting them all the time. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
913 Posts
The question you need to ask yourself is how aggressive do you plan on riding???

If you dont ride aggressive at all, you can lower your bike over 3"

If you want to ride semi aggressive, you can lower it 2"-2.5"

If you want to be aggressive on your bike, dont lower it at all.

I would suggest you start with a 2". If you start to bottom out too much with the wifey on the back (110 soaking wet maybe), you can always tell her to get her own bike, or stiffen up your shock. Your stock setting is on 4. You can stiffen it up to maybe 6 or so.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I'm thinking about lowering my bike and don't want to spend a fortune on an air ride kit so I was wondering how low I can go with a set of bones. I am about 200 lbs and often have a passenger who is 110 lbs. Before you guys say it, I am considering adjustable bones as well, but I think I would get tired of adjusting them all the time. Thanks guys!
Go w/3" and your girl can ride with me :bigthumbsup::joke:

·
Registered
960 Posts
I weigh 220 and my wife is 115 and my bike is lowered 2 1/4". I rarely scrape (just on high curbs, etc) I am not an aggressive rider. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had spent just the little extra for adjustable bones. That way, you can start at 2" and lower if you want. You will not be adj them a lot, believe me.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Another thing to think about to is if you go say 2.75 or maybe 3 you may want to get a shorty kickstand as well. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
The question you need to ask yourself is how aggressive do you plan on riding???

If you dont ride aggressive at all, you can lower your bike over 3"

If you want to ride semi aggressive, you can lower it 2"-2.5"

If you want to be aggressive on your bike, dont lower it at all.

I would suggest you start with a 2". If you start to bottom out too much with the wifey on the back (110 soaking wet maybe), you can always tell her to get her own bike, or stiffen up your shock. Your stock setting is on 4. You can stiffen it up to maybe 6 or so.
You can ride aggressive with 2" bones but you have to ride a little different than usual.:bigthumbsup::D
I weigh 220 and my wife is 115 and my bike is lowered 2 1/4". I rarely scrape (just on high curbs, etc) I am not an aggressive rider. Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had spent just the little extra for adjustable bones. That way, you can start at 2" and lower if you want. You will not be adj them a lot, believe me.
2" bones are lower than the 2.25" I've had them both. I love the 2" way better.;):bigthumbsup:

For the OP..I'm heavier than you by at least 20 lbs and my wife is about the same weight as yours. I have never bottomed out the bike and I have 2" Yanashiki bones with shock on 4. When I had my wife, pack for two days and myself on bike I stiffened the shock to 6. Still never bottomed out, but it does take a while to know the limitations of the 2" in the corners, or learned to lean to the inside of the bike in the turns. I had always counter-steered.:-\:doorag:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another thing to think about to is if you go say 2.75 or maybe 3 you may want to get a shorty kickstand as well. Just a thought.
That's one of the reasons I am hesitant about getting adjustable bones.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,078 Posts
The 2" Yana Shiki bones are a good option for the weight you have. When my wife rode with me we were just a little heavier than the two of you, and I only bottomed out twice with both of us on it and the shock set on 4. Both times it was a really bad place and not something you would normally see, or at least be prepared for. Once the road was being paved and they left a good 4" drop at the end, which I hit going about 45 mph. The other was a sinkhole in the middle of the road that would have bottomed my truck.

If you do lower it and find you scrape pegs a lot, angle them up a little. Lift the peg up and put one or two pennies under it to get an idea of how the angle feels, then if it works you can drill the base of them and put a small screw in them to keep the angle. I like the angle better as it fits the angle of my feet better.

I have the Iso Dually pegs, which have no feelers on them. Combine that with the added angle and my pegs are probably 1.5" higher than it would be with stock pegs. You only lose about 3/4" at the peg with 2" bones, so I made up more than I lost.

Make sure to grind off the bolts under the fender if you lower it. If it does bottom, it's not big deal. It makes a little squeak and that's it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Spend the money on an Air-Ride, the best of all worlds! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Don

·
Registered
138 Posts
lower?

I weigh 200, and my wife is 130# I had mine lowered 3 inches, and bottomed out on every little bump and dip, so I changed to 2.25 and havent had a problem yet!!!! fyi

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 2" Yana Shiki bones are a good option for the weight you have. When my wife rode with me we were just a little heavier than the two of you, and I only bottomed out twice with both of us on it and the shock set on 4. Both times it was a really bad place and not something you would normally see, or at least be prepared for. Once the road was being paved and they left a good 4" drop at the end, which I hit going about 45 mph. The other was a sinkhole in the middle of the road that would have bottomed my truck.

If you do lower it and find you scrape pegs a lot, angle them up a little. Lift the peg up and put one or two pennies under it to get an idea of how the angle feels, then if it works you can drill the base of them and put a small screw in them to keep the angle. I like the angle better as it fits the angle of my feet better.

I have the Iso Dually pegs, which have no feelers on them. Combine that with the added angle and my pegs are probably 1.5" higher than it would be with stock pegs. You only lose about 3/4" at the peg with 2" bones, so I made up more than I lost.

Make sure to grind off the bolts under the fender if you lower it. If it does bottom, it's not big deal. It makes a little squeak and that's it.
Here in Michigan the economy is so "great" that the state and most counties have run out road maintenance funds....you'd be surprized what you'd see here!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts