M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing everyone's bikes being lowered about 2-2½ inches, I thought to myself, that's not low enough, I really want that slammed look. I started looking online for bones, and found that I can't buy them more than a 3" drop. So I was thinking of making them more than that... and found some help on here about making them, that's no problem for me. But why do they only sell them up to 3"?? Has anyone gone lower than that?

I do realize that I'd be sacrificing some turning abilities. But I don't wanna go so low that I rub anything.

Anybody's input would be well appreciated.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Talking about low, I had mine scrapped yesterday when they put up a speed breaker on the road. It was high and narrow. With the weight of my wife at the back, I heard scratching sound below as I drove over it.::swear: Sorry just ranting.:D

·
Banned
1,218 Posts
Talking about low, I had mine scrapped yesterday when they put up a speed breaker on the road. It was high and narrow. With the weight of my wife at the back, I heard scratching sound below as I drove over it.::swear: Sorry just ranting.:D
I sure hope yer wife doesnt read this....:D

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Lower than 3 inches ..---> :yikes:
mine is lowered 2 1/2 inches ( 2 inch bones, go figure),
the pegs don't touch ,but the exhaust bracket on right side
and the skid plate on left side , I don't care ,....for now .
I think the good looks outweighs the problems.
it just keeps me slower , no more maniac " curve attack " .

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
You will be sacrificing the turning capabilities quite a bit going that low. Plus you have to think about the shock travel and any other weight you might carry from time to time to avoid hitting the rear fender. I mean there is a reason as to why the engineers designed it with this ride height.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
At much more than 3" you would bottom out under the fender on every little bump. Measure above your tire and see how much you have stock, then take 3" or more off it. There's not a lot left.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, you'll sacrifice lean angle, but as you stated, that's not an issue for you. I've got 2.75" bones on mine, and the front is lowered 3/4" as well. Can I lean as far as before? No. But that result was sort of obvious to me before I did it. As with you, that wasn't a concern for me. I put my bones on before I did any chopping on my bike, and with the stock setup, I did rub occasionally, not a lot, but it did.

Now, obviously I do not have the stock fender anymore, and the kit I have makes rubbing a very minor issue when it does occur. There's a smooth bracket under the fender that takes all the abuse if I give it any. I don't rub as much as I thought I would. However, I do have my shock set to the stiffest it goes which can occasionally make for a pretty rough ride over choppy pavement. Again, that result was pretty obvious before I did it.

Other than scraping my control mounts all the time, the biggest issue I have is speed bumps in parking lots. If you lower 3" you will definitely bottom out on some of these if you're not careful. As well, I agree that with the stock fender, rubbing will most certainly by a very common occurrence if you go 3" or more :eek: . The stock fender isn't smooth either, so it'll be a lot harder on the tire than my setup.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, you'll sacrifice lean angle, but as you stated, that's not an issue for you. I've got 2.75" bones on mine, and the front is lowered 3/4" as well. Can I lean as far as before? No. But that result was sort of obvious to me before I did it. As with you, that wasn't a concern for me. I put my bones on before I did any chopping on my bike, and with the stock setup, I did rub occasionally, not a lot, but it did.

Now, obviously I do not have the stock fender anymore, and the kit I have makes rubbing a very minor issue when it does occur. There's a smooth bracket under the fender that takes all the abuse if I give it any. I don't rub as much as I thought I would. However, I do have my shock set to the stiffest it goes which can occasionally make for a pretty rough ride over choppy pavement. Again, that result was pretty obvious before I did it.

Other than scraping my control mounts all the time, the biggest issue I have is speed bumps in parking lots. If you lower 3" you will definitely bottom out on some of these if you're not careful. As well, I agree that with the stock fender, rubbing will most certainly by a very common occurrence if you go 3" or more :eek: . The stock fender isn't smooth either, so it'll be a lot harder on the tire than my setup.
Dumb question: how do you lower the front end?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME. I DO NOT PERSONALLY NOR PROFESSIONALLY ENDORSE THE FOLLOWING.

1. Loosen triple tree fork clamps.
2. Drop front end down over forks up to 3/4" (could go lower, but there are handling issues creeping in at this point, so I would not recommend it)

Problem: Forks have a finite area of contact for the triple trees, specifically the tapered "bulge" in the fork itself. Dropping the triple trees reduces the contact area between fork and triple tree.

Solution: Fabricate a spacer to allow consistant contact between forks and entire mating surface of the triple tree.

Like I said, my way of doing it that satisfied my one and only safety requirement in doing any mod, that being not killing myself. So far so good. YMMV.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That's obviously the other way. Mine was 1/20 the cost, I still have stock travel, and I got to pat myself on the back for doing it with my own hands. And I NEVER miss an opportunity to pat myself on the back.

But for the vast majority, lowering springs would be the way to go. I think lowering it more than an inch is gonna cause some high speed handling issues though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have lowered mine three inches, it looks fantastic, i never ride with any one on the back, lowering the bike this much defently takes the turning ability out of the bike but if you want to go fast around corners you should of bought a sports bike!!! the only time i find it scrapes is on the kurb at the bottom of my driveway.

go lower it you'll be happy with how it turns out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts