M109 Rider Forums banner

How loud are you willing to go on your bike?

• Stock only no exceptions I wanna hear my shocks squeak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very moderate aftermarket or modified stock

• I like it on the loud side but not extreme

• Straight pipes no baffles is the only way to go

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what all of the 109's feel on this subject  :bigthumbsup: and what the numbers will show ...

thanks
khrome  :super:

·
Registered
343 Posts
How loud is TOO LOUD?

Not loud enough! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I'm somewhere in between 2 and 3. I have modded stock and like the way it sounds... it's far from obnoxious, but I wouldn't mind a tad more sound. No where near straight pipes though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For me it is all about volume control. Yes the pipes can be pretty loud, but I like them to be quiet sometimes. The exhaust I have on my bike right now can get pretty loud when I really get on it. But when I leave at 5:30 in the morning to go to work I can still sneak out of my neighborhood without waking a single person up. That to me is the best compromise.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I think there is a fine line between sounding good and just sounding.

Put yourself behind another bike with loud pipes and ride down the road for a few miles. If you like it, then it probly sounds good. If it rings your ears, then you probly don't want those pipes. Otherwise you'll be riding at the rear of the group all the time because noone can take how loud your bike is...

2 cents,,

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think a lot has to do with not just how loud the sound is, but the quality of the sound. Some pipes on some bikes just have a really hard edge to the sound. Other pipes on the same bike may be just as loud, but have a softer edge to the sound. Kinda hard to explain but I know that V&H Big Shots on an 1800 VTX definitely have a hard edge sound to them. Most people that have these pipes end up buying a different set of baffles to mellow the edge of the sound a bit to make it more tolerable. Kinda hard to explain. I had a set of V&H Bagger pipes on my Nomad and they sounded AWESOME! Nice and mellow when you are easy on the throttle but they really bark when you open it up. That is the type of pipe I want for my M109R. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
890 Posts
I don't really like LOUD pipes...but a little meaner than stock would suit me fine. I want more of a growl when I grab a hand full of go...I'd be happy if sitting next to a cager he'd feel the vibrations without the ear splitting loud of some pipes. IMHO

Devilish

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
DevilishEyes109 said:
I don't really like LOUD pipes...but a little meaner than stock would suit me fine. I want more of a growl when I grab a hand full of go...I'd be happy if sitting next to a cager he'd feel the vibrations without the ear splitting loud of some pipes. IMHO

Devilish
Try the stock pipe mod. It's just what you're looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts