M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the craftsman profession motorcycle lift, yes I am going to do this myself, lol! Anyway, I am about to take the rear tire off but they said worse case it could be a week before I get my wheel back. Using the straps that came with the set is it safe to leave the bike on there for about 7 days?

Everything seems to be pretty simple when you have all the right tools. I would like to thank everyone for encouraging me to do it myself and it is not much different than restoring these old trucks or stangs, I guess you just have to get in there in do it.

While I have the tire off I may seize the opportunity to do me beaver delete and do some cleaning I guess it just depends how long is safe to leave it on there without worrying about it falling over.

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
I leave mine on the same lift all winter, no issues at all!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I leave mine on the same lift all winter, no issues at all!
Thanks, to make sure I am lifting it correctly at the best points for stability, I had the lift set right in front of the skid plate at the two hex bolts at the rear of the bike forward is that the best place to keep it stable?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Might want to set it just slightly forward of ideal location, as when you take the rear tire off, the center-of-gravity will shift forward. That back tire is a heavy mofo. Maybe find something of appropriate size to lower the front wheel down onto to account for that. Cinder block or something like that.

I've left mine on the jack for weeks, but i've not taken the wheels off while there. I would want the jack in one of the locked position with the front wheel resting on something before removing the rear wheel.

I'm sure someone who has done this will chime in on whether that is overkill, or not.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Mine was on the lift for the first 2 1/2 months that I had it. I just strapped it down to the lift to be sure it didn't fall off. I had both wheels off along with every body panel and even the forks. The UPS man was there so much that the dog quit barking at him.:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might want to set it just slightly forward of ideal location, as when you take the rear tire off, the center-of-gravity will shift forward. That back tire is a heavy mofo. Maybe find something of appropriate size to lower the front wheel down onto to account for that. Cinder block or something like that.

I've left mine on the jack for weeks, but i've not taken the wheels off while there. I would want the jack in one of the locked position with the front wheel resting on something before removing the rear wheel.

I'm sure someone who has done this will chime in on whether that is overkill, or not.:bigthumbsup:
Thanks, I think I will run back out to the shop to do that never can be too careful I guess!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine was on the lift for the first 2 1/2 months that I had it. I just strapped it down to the lift to be sure it didn't fall off. I had both wheels off along with every body panel and even the forks. The UPS man was there so much that the dog quit barking at him.:D
Thanks!!! Feel a little better!! lol

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I don't have that particular lift but I have the motorcycle jack from Harbor Freight. I left mine up for 6 months without any issues. I just made sure I lowered it into one of the locks and strapped it down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input guys!! Locked it, balanced it and after I balanced just for security I put jack stands on each side of the front forks to make sure the lift was level while the bike is sitting. Overkill I am sure!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
i seen it briefly mentioned a few times ,but, just wanted to reiterate it to make sure people see it .... lift it a little higher then you want it then lower it down to one of the locking positions on the jack then after its locked bleed a little more pressure off the lift cylinder then its mechanically locked and relying on the cylinder to keep it in the air

i see you said its locked so i assume that is what you did, just making sure anyone using this thread as reference later understands it

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Thanks, to make sure I am lifting it correctly at the best points for stability, I had the lift set right in front of the skid plate at the two hex bolts at the rear of the bike forward is that the best place to keep it stable?
that is fine if you strap it down in the rear. I usually go around the swingarm and down to the jack with a strap. I also strap down the front as well. That way there are no issues.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I bought the craftsman profession motorcycle lift, yes I am going to do this myself, lol! Anyway, I am about to take the rear tire off but they said worse case it could be a week before I get my wheel back. Using the straps that came with the set is it safe to leave the bike on there for about 7 days?

Everything seems to be pretty simple when you have all the right tools. I would like to thank everyone for encouraging me to do it myself and it is not much different than restoring these old trucks or stangs, I guess you just have to get in there in do it.

While I have the tire off I may seize the opportunity to do me beaver delete and do some cleaning I guess it just depends how long is safe to leave it on there without worrying about it falling over.

Thanks
As the others said, you can leave it a long time with the lock on. I would just block up the front tire to cover the wieght transfer when you remove the tire.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You will be fine i have the same lift and i keep the bike up all winter no problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, day 1 relieves my mind! I was late to work this morning, I had night mares of my bike falling against my C10, LOL!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i seen it briefly mentioned a few times ,but, just wanted to reiterate it to make sure people see it .... lift it a little higher then you want it then lower it down to one of the locking positions on the jack then after its locked bleed a little more pressure off the lift cylinder then its mechanically locked and relying on the cylinder to keep it in the air

i see you said its locked so i assume that is what you did, just making sure anyone using this thread as reference later understands it
Yes sir, as you said, I put the lock on and I remember reading on the reviews of the other jack I was looking at, that the hydraulics wear out on the pump by keeping the tension on them. So after I got her locked in I let off the pressure I tad so it would act more as a secondary and not the primary. Thanks!!

Really great info on this site! With a tremendous amount of feedback!! Really helps you enjoy the hobby that much more!!

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
The last time I left mine on the lift, it was up there for two weeks. And I never even bothered to strap it down. I suppose the only problem that could happen would be an earthquake. And even strapped it would probably still fall over if that happened.:eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought the craftsman profession motorcycle lift
Question for you, I bought the same lift you have, are you able to get the lift to go all the way down to the ground? I bought one and cannot get it low enough to go under the bike. I found if I push the bike up on some lift blocks I can get the bike high enough to use the Craftsman lift properly.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Question for you, I bought the same lift you have, are you able to get the lift to go all the way down to the ground? I bought one and cannot get it low enough to go under the bike. I found if I push the bike up on some lift blocks I can get the bike high enough to use the Craftsman lift properly.
If your bike is lowered it will not go under. You'll have to use the blocks, like you said.

If your bike is at stock height, you have to have the bike straight up and down to get the jack under it. I sit on the bike, and move it under from the right side with my right hand. You then have to glance/feel to make sure there is enough jack under each side frame rail, before lifting. Use my right foot to slowly raise until bike is supported by the jack in upright stance, then get off and raise it however high I need it for the occassion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts