M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a V&H Big shots on my bike and have just installed a CycleHouse Q5 intake. I've got the PCIII installation and dyno booked for next week. What are the issues if I keep using the bike without the PCIII?

Cheers,
Alex

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Just cruising around won't be that big of a deal but if you are hearing engine Ping or Detonation under heavy acceleration you need to lay off the throttle a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
just take it easy and cruise around easy on it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just a question here. If you have a helmet on and the wind is coming past you at 80mph and you have opened up your intake which makes more noise along with a louder exhaust. Can I hear any pinging?. Even a light ping is a problem with the thin rings this thing runs. I'm just getting started on my nine and am not sure what the ignition curve is set up like. Especially after installing a TRE unit. So can I hear any light pinging? Please the old pros chime in.

·
Radio Active Member
22,745 Posts
Just a question here. If you have a helmet on and the wind is coming past you at 80mph and you have opened up your intake which makes more noise along with a louder exhaust. Can I hear any pinging?. Even a light ping is a problem with the thin rings this thing runs. I'm just getting started on my nine and am not sure what the ignition curve is set up like. Especially after installing a TRE unit. So can I hear any light pinging? Please the old pros chime in.
You will hear it. If it's really light it's not going to hurt anything anyway, but if it's a heavy pint it's very noticeable. Consider you can hear light pinging in a car with the engine behind an insulated firewall.

Before I put the colder plugs in mine I got a tank of bad fuel once. I may have even filled it with 87 octane since that's what my wife's bike used. I usually fill hers up with 93 octane so it gets whatever the last guy got out of the hose, then fill mine. Anyway, not much later it developed a ping on any slight hill. Not a bad pre-detonation type knock, but a really noticeable ticking under load. My exhaust gets pretty loud on a hill and I could easily hear it over that with a helmet on.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Thanks Zoom
I have a bit of a hearing problem from shooting without hearing protection. So I worry about missing the small noises.
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts